Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,330,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Perhaps one of the reasons Butler Park has such a good vibe is because of what it is built on top of. Texanwannabe, you said you are homesick and moving back to Texas? I think you mentioned you'd been to Austin many times over the years. So, you would remember the location of Butler park as the site of the City Coliseum.

The City Coliseum was an old WWII hangar converted to a music/public venue. It was not held in high regard, and no one really protested when they tore it down to build the new park. But it was a venue that saw such acts as Elvis Presley, The Clash (featured in their Rock the Casbah video), and Janes Addiction. Many more, too, but it's hard to find a list. Austin didn't really have any other large indoor venue for acts that couldn't fit in to the UT rules (hence couldn't play the Erwin Center). The Coliseum was also home to the most debauchery in Austin this side of Hippy Hollow... the annual Carnaval Brasileiro. I think they still have that event somewhere, but it's not the same.

Here's a picture from a similar angle as Twange's 3rd photo on reply #21. It's the site of Butler Park just after they demolished the City Coliseum, with a few buildings missing in the skyline... when was this taken, the 80's? Nope, 2003.

(pic from Austin Explorer)
Wow, interesting! Thanks Atxcio! No I don't remember ever seeing this on one of my many visits to Austin. I have been visiting Austin...let's see...since 1994. My visits became more frequent starting in 2000. I lived in Galveston for a short period of time. The reason I said I was homesick is because my soul lives in Austin! My body just happens to reside in Pittsburgh...but that's all about to change as soon as my house sells!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 10:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
How sad that they tore that building down. I have fond memories of it. Of course, I have fond memories of Armadillo World Headquarters, too, but that didn't stop them from paving it over with a bank (which I heard, years later, was supposed to be haunted - I suspected it was just some partying flashbacks still going on ).

Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM

147 posts, read 540,217 times
believe me...if its on google, flickr or any public forum...you can use it. Unless its watermarked and stated that they dont want the picture being used for anything...its fair game. I know this because I own 4 different picture albums online and have had problems in the past. I was told by two lawyers that I would have to express the fact that I did not want the photos being used anywhere else. Google will then not be able to show your photo in the google images search.

If what you are saying is true TexasHorseLady...then Google would be breaking about 4 billion laws right now with the amount of images that it has on its site.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,982,821 times
Quote:
believe me...if its on google, flickr or any public forum...you can use it.
Not true. Google returns search results, it doesn't host or control the photos. Also not true just because it's on Flicker. The person who uploaded a photo to flicker may have stolen it and uploaded it, so there can be no automatic assumption about copyright restrictions based on where a photo is found.

Steve

Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM

147 posts, read 540,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Not true. Google returns search results, it doesn't host or control the photos. Also not true just because it's on Flicker. The person who uploaded a photo to flicker may have stolen it and uploaded it, so there can be no automatic assumption about copyright restrictions based on where a photo is found.

Steve

Ok fine, whatever...let me ask you this...Have you ever heard of anyone going to jail, getting sued, or anything for using a photo in a forum? I dont think I have ever heard of anyone getting kicked out of forums for using "copyrighted" material. The point is...that I get photos "stolen" from me all the time, the only thing you can do is watermark it or something...

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,172,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Ok fine, whatever...let me ask you this...Have you ever heard of anyone going to jail, getting sued, or anything for using a photo in a forum? I dont think I have ever heard of anyone getting kicked out of forums for using "copyrighted" material. The point is...that I get photos "stolen" from me all the time, the only thing you can do is watermark it or something...
Yes, a small company I worked for got threatened with a lawsuit. They thought "what are the chances"... and regretted it.

If you take something and modify it beyond recognition, they'll allow that I believe. It's a fine line though.

Nice pics! That's so cool that you someone would go to the trouble of taking pics of the stonework and upload them here.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,330,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
believe me...if its on google, flickr or any public forum...you can use it. Unless its watermarked and stated that they dont want the picture being used for anything...its fair game. I know this because I own 4 different picture albums online and have had problems in the past. I was told by two lawyers that I would have to express the fact that I did not want the photos being used anywhere else. Google will then not be able to show your photo in the google images search.

If what you are saying is true TexasHorseLady...then Google would be breaking about 4 billion laws right now with the amount of images that it has on its site.
Actually, I looked into this and there are tiny icons at the bottom of the page stating what the photo can be used for based on the wishes of the photographer. It would be a copyright violation if you used their picture when they expressed that they did not wish for it to be shared. I think you take your chances on posting pics as well as the person takes a chance on using the pic. I, personally, would not post a pic on any site if I didn't want it being used by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Nice pics! That's so cool that you someone would go to the trouble of taking pics of the stonework and upload them here.
This was so COOL of Twange to take pics of the stone map of TX so I could use it on my cards! I owe him beers for that one!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,735,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I'll tell you what: I'll go down there tomorrow and take the picture for you. You and anyone else can do what they please with it. I'll know. You'll know. And THL will know No problem.

I'm serious.
GOOD FOR YOU! As I've been reading through these posts, I kept wondering why someone in the area didn't just run over and take a picture for her. When I saw where you offered, I thought, finally. That's a nice thing you did.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I owe him beers for that one!
I will gladly accept beers as tokens of gratitude

Heading to Altoona tomorrow! The weather up here is so awesome right now - low to mid 80s

Old 08-08-2008, 11:41 AM

62 posts, read 179,256 times
#1: it is not at all hard to verify that a photo is an exact replica, even if you crop it differently than the original.

#2: the concept that it is ok to steal as long as you think you won't get caught is not acceptable to most people, in spite of the number of forum-users all over the internet who like to post otherwise.

#3. The fact there are free-use pictures available does not change any of this because it is the choice of some photographers to offer that free use, and they have to explicitly state somewhere that the use is allowed and under what conditions it is allowed.

#4. Google clearly states its policies as a third-party and people do in fact get caught and the images are all tracked back to the original host, not Google, for legal action between that host, the original owner and the copyright-violator. Google does not in fact "post" most of the images you see. It links to them via search. Its own photo-albums are set up under the same warning conditions with the Picasa company as all other photo-hosting companies, and they all do assist the original owner of the images for violations, usually just by shutting down the accounts and often by also giving the identifying info to the copyright owner's lawyer or to the authorities if it has gone to the criminal level.

#5. You don't read about these cases because they are usually handled out of court, as a civil matter, when the copyright owner notifies violators of an intention to go to court if they don't honor the copyright.

Last edited by theaustinegalitarian; 08-08-2008 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin