Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 PM

531 posts, read 2,068,112 times

Advertisements

Why did Microsoft go to San Antonio & not Austin?

Any ideas? I think they just want to be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,944,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
Why did Microsoft go to San Antonio & not Austin?

Any ideas? I think they just want to be different.
Aren't they building a datacenter there? San Antonio has become sort of a datacenter mini-hub with many big datacenters located there (many more than Austin), so maybe Microsoft has better access to datacenter expertise and infrastructure in SA.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:47 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,878,592 times
probably due to a more diverse population, it seems people mix more there, even though Austin calls itself the most liberal minded, they dont seem to integrate as much as SAN ANTONIO does.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:41 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Economics, I am sure. Cost of land/labor probably less, and still a good pool of tech employees to draw from.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:48 PM

70 posts, read 368,128 times
Quote:
Austin calls itself the most liberal minded, they dont seem to integrate as much as SAN ANTONIO does.
Please - some links to back your claim would be GREAT.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:04 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,271,749 times
Austin is more of a circuit fabrication and software-design type of industry. A data center can really go just about anywhere. It is mostly servers, etc. that can be maintained by anyone with networking knowledge.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:26 PM

11 posts, read 105,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbramlett View Post
Please - some links to back your claim would be GREAT.
General indication is the voting record. If you look up how Texas counties voted in the past two elections, you will see the only county to have a Democratic majority was Travis County (Austin). Again, this is very general but I think is in the right direction.... sorry I don't have a link handy. Just google it. I wouldn't think this would have any indication that the citizens of Austin won't "integrate" as well though.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM

531 posts, read 2,068,112 times
I think Jread is right a data center is basically a wharehouse and the real IT is in Austin. I think political opinion has nothing to do with it. Do I care what my employees opinions are as long as he/she does a good job?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM

806 posts, read 2,874,069 times
Quote:
probably due to a more diverse population, it seems people mix more there...
??? And their mixing somehow makes it a more suitable location for a data center? Simple economics, space, electricity and labour costs are much lower and they probably got some serious incentives from the city to sweeten the deal. Nothing wrong with SA getting with the program...First Toyota, now MS..beats having H.E.B as the most influential employer in a city that size.....

P.S. Please take the joke for what it is...I know about the military presence and bases there...

Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,271,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
??? And their mixing somehow makes it a more suitable location for a data center? Simple economics, space, electricity and labour costs are much lower and they probably got some serious incentives from the city to sweeten the deal. Nothing wrong with SA getting with the program...First Toyota, now MS..beats having H.E.B as the most influential employer in a city that size.....

P.S. Please take the joke for what it is...I know about the military presence and bases there...
This makes me think of the most ridiculous city I've ever visited: Orlando, FL. It blows my mind that the entire city is supported by a cartoon mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: