Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:41 AM

14 posts, read 36,964 times

Advertisements

Thanks Steve, that is what I was regreting that I just let time pass by without doing the 3-phase inspection..

BTW, My builder is Legacy Homes in rancho alto (middle class version of Meritage Homes).. Do any one of you here familiar with their workmanship and performance?

I know no new house is perfect but atleast with my little effort of research and consultation with you I could do away with the known issues I cant live with before closing..

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,977,512 times
Rancho Alto homes are economy, no frills homes. Similar to Olympic Heights in construction. I've sold about a half dozen homes in Olympic Heights and they normally have a pretty clean inspection. I think your home in Rancho Alto will mostly be ok, but there will still be items that you want unearthed and cured before moving in.

I doubt the higher-ups at Legacy want you to be feeling that your inspection is unwelcome. I'll bet whomever you are dealing with is not representing Legacy in the way they want to be represented. If the resistance continues, talk to someone in the local corp office and I bet they'll straighten it out immediately, and whomever you are currently dealing with will start whistling a different tune.

Steve

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-16-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:35 AM

351 posts, read 333,604 times
You want to do an inspection at the framing stage. Once drywall goes up unless your inspector has x-ray vision you'll be out of luck. Code is code and load bearing weight can not be exceeded, engineered floor joist have to be within certain distances, they have to be cut not kicked thru(you'd be suprised how many builders allow this to happen) for pipes/wiring, studs have to be within a certain distance and there are various procedures for screws/nails depending on whether the stud is on an exterior wallor interior wall etc. Overall get an inspector at framing stage. If you plan to sell this house at some point you need an inspector so you are not surprised later on down the road and it comes out your pocket.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:31 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,664,578 times
Once you close you are at the mercy of the builder with no leverage. Don't close until you are satisfied. That being said I wouldn't hold things up over some touch up paint and caulking.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM

We were actually suspicious.. We were suppose to have a meeting before the sheet rock was installed and I dont know why for some reason my builder NEVER contacted us.. What is because he doesnt want us to find out what lies behind those walls?

We actually plan to sell this house in a few years, God willing.. We hope that our Inspector would still be able to check the wirings even with the sheetrock installed.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,841 times
Default Concerned Home Buyer

Dear jamx551,
I am now in the same position you were in July 2008. I am having my home built in Rancho Alto. So far, I am not impressed with the work so far. The foundation already has a crack. How did your house finally turn out? Hopefully, you read this.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,015,840 times
Hey, my small custom builder rocked! I funded the construction and kept back 10% (as per the contract) until all items were fixed to my satisfaction. You build the inspections into the contract. And Steve is absolutely right, the most important inspection is the one done before the sheetrock goes up.

I wouldn't go near a big production builder for anything. Don't close until your items are addressed. There are some building items that can be built more than one way. But they are rare and your inspector should be able to explain them to you.

I'd also second Steve's advice about getting a real estate attorney fast if you come across any large problems.

Good luck

Old 10-01-2008, 01:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,098,584 times
I am building with Drees and haven't had any issues with having multiple inspections. So far the inspector hasn't found anything major and we are at sheetrock phase. Good piece of mind though.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,977,512 times
Quote:
The foundation already has a crack.
What are you calling a "crack". All foundations have visible "cracks", which are normal. That's different from a "cracked slab" though, which would be a structural failure as opposed to a cosmetic condition.

The home construction process isn't always pretty. It can be a nightmare if you don't inform yourself of what is "normal and expected" versus true problems and defects. That's what a good inspector does for you, puts everything into context and explains why certain items are ok while others need to be addressed and cured.

Steve

Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Im sorry to hear about your situation. As for me, my house turned out fine except (ofcourse there's always one) for some minor issues which they have addressed and will be addressing so far..

When you said "crack" is it the tiles? is it between the bricks or the stones?

I concur with Steve that every new house undergoes a settling process.

Like for instance, about a month after we moved in I noticed some cracks between the stones beside the garage door and a crack between the tiles at the main entrance..

if you have already moved in then I suggest you give it some time and observe.. If the gap of the cracks becomes larger then you have to call the attention of the warranty department and ask them how they can help.. Anyway you are in the warranty period and the builder has funds to cover it..

As for the crack on my tile, right now its still a 6 inch long hairline crack and have noticed its getting longer.. Im giving it maybe 2-3 months until its more visible before I request them to replace and fix it.

Other issues were the leaking pipes under our faucet. They were kind enough to fix it and re-skin the wrinkled part my cabinet that was wet by the leak AFTER several nags and emails and sms. I suggest you be a NAGGER if you know the issues are covered within the warranty.
It iss very common that builders tend to be very very lax after the closing of your house.

Also I advise you to be "vigilant" of any issue that are covered under your warranty and report them as soon as possible to keep a high value of this big investment until you decide sell in the future.

As for prospective house buyers here, I strongly advise you the 3-phase inspection as Steve has always been stressing.. It will save you $$$ and a whole bunch of headaches when you move it.. I can recommend you my inspector who went the extra mile to please meticulous owners like me

Lastly, pls work closely with your Realtor ,.. Its their job to make your buying experience a pleasant one.

My agent really suck.. She doesnt have initiative.. I was left in the dark. I did all the work of researching, following up and complaining with the builder. etc..etc... She just showed up at the mortgage office after I closed to claim her $$.. If somebody asks about her I will gladly warn them about her and my horrible experience with that realtor... I wished she was more agressive and more knowledgeable in the real estate business. Or shall i say I should have gotten a better agent .. I could have save having a grass in my backyard if my agent didnt think of just the money.. Or perhaps all she has was lip service.. So be very wary when you hire a Realtor.. Ask a lot of questions before you commit.. Shop around and compare. ..take plenty of time to decide if necessary. Remember "Haste makes waste" Most people are bad decision-makers.. What I learned and do now is sleep on it then decide.. If necessary sleep on it again until you are 100% sure..not just 99% sure.. .I think this applies to any decision you ever make in your life esp. when it comes to shelling our $$money$$.

Whether you like it or not your agent will always receive their commission, so GET THEM BUSY.. you deserve their honest and reliable service.

Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS21E40 View Post
Dear jamx551,
I am now in the same position you were in July 2008. I am having my home built in Rancho Alto. So far, I am not impressed with the work so far. The foundation already has a crack. How did your house finally turn out? Hopefully, you read this.

Last edited by jamx551; 10-01-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: