U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 AM

187 posts, read 776,626 times

Advertisements

You don't pronounce HEB as a word, it's just the acronym for the owners/founders of the grocery chain. I think the B stands for Butz or Butts or something.

We hated that store because it's always impossibly crowded, just packed to the gills, and the parking lot can be frustrating. And when Oltorf was under construction for sewers or something in the fall, it was worse!

But you have HEB, and Randalls on Ben White, and the south Central Market in addition to Whole Foods. Central Market is also owned by HEB, as the Whole Foods competitor. There are 2 locations, north and south.

The neighborhood you "discovered" IS a gem, I think. The location is great for folks working downtown or folks who want to be near S Congress shops. I think you're right. Many people just shrug off the foundation issues. I can't, but that's just me.

If you like that area, but could also be a bit further south, I would recommend that you look at houses to buy in the subdivision called Battle Bend. It's a 70s subdivision, quiet, easy access to Congress or to 35, and still affordable. It's 78745, not 41. I'm no realtor, but I think Battle Bend is a great deal. The houses are only about 1600 SF, though, not 2700.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,816,647 times
Pretty much all of Austin is on a "fault line". Think of it as the Balcones Fault zone and you'll get a better idea - it's not just one neighborhood, it runs from Waco down to San Antonio and west.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 AM

7,151 posts, read 13,086,371 times
For what is worth, I LOVE the HEB at S. Congress and Oltorf. Yes, some times it seems that the whole world is shopping there but the staff is great, the produce very fresh (high turnover), and I love the diversity of people. You could write a novel based on just that HEB, all of humanity with all its diversity, divisions, unity, frailty, compassion, and frustration can be found in that store!!

Gourmet magazine praised the roasted corn sold by the cup in the parking.

I've been shopping there for almost 16 years. (And it was a crazier, rougher place then when S. Congress was fairly dicey and nothing like "SoCo"). The road work is done. Much depends on the time of day and day of the week that you shop, but that store, that store is south austin to me!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,816,647 times
You could write a novel based on just that HEB, all of humanity with all its diversity, divisions, unity, frailty, compassion, and frustration can be found in that store!!

I love it! Someone simply MUST write that novel!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,417,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
You don't pronounce HEB as a word, it's just the acronym for the owners/founders of the grocery chain. I think the B stands for Butz or Butts or something.

We hated that store because it's always impossibly crowded, just packed to the gills, and the parking lot can be frustrating. And when Oltorf was under construction for sewers or something in the fall, it was worse!

But you have HEB, and Randalls on Ben White, and the south Central Market in addition to Whole Foods. Central Market is also owned by HEB, as the Whole Foods competitor. There are 2 locations, north and south.
Thanks for the grocery store advice. Just to clarify: when you say "I'm going to the HEB," you pronounce it like "H.E.B.?" Saying each letter separately?

I find that odd, heh.

Where I am now, my grocery store delivers. You order online, and they bring it to you for $12. It's pretty much heaven! It's also pretty much the only thing where I am that I like.

I'm trying to figure out how to say things correctly. Like San Marcos (San MarCUS), Guadeloupe (Guadeloup), and Manchaca (I'm SO BUMMED this is pronounced "Manchack." I was really enjoying pronouncing it the way it looks).

Old 07-18-2008, 09:47 AM

3,226 posts, read 12,870,337 times
Yes, H.E.B

They are initials - Howard E. Butt

H-E-B History (http://www.heb.com/aboutHEB/history.jsp - broken link)

Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM

I've never met anyone who said they liked that store, let alone loved it. Most of my friends complain about it, too.

But I'm not seeking drama when I go to the store. I would see a play if I wanted drama. When I go to HEB, I just want to get my groceries and split.

Which is another reason I didn't like the store: I liked to get things in the back, in the bulk and frozen/frig section, and they were usually out of whatever I wanted. Need soy yogurt, the shelves are empty. Want a certain whole grain cereal from the bulk bins, and that bin is empty. I thought it was a total and utter drag.

But that's what makes the world go round, I guess. The thing I don't like is the thing you love...

Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM

2,955 posts, read 6,745,470 times
I don't often shop at that HEB, but some of my friends make it a habit of doing their shopping there between 9pm and 12am (open 24 hrs, I think?).

Someone mentioned Battle Bend Springs - that's my neighborhood - and, yes, it is still affordable.

Has anyone noticed the condos being built further south (south of Stassney, north of Wm. Cannon) on Congress? I have seen one advertised as being in the "LoCo" area. I have also seen my area (east of Congress, west of I-35) listed on realtor sites as "East Congress" area. Interesting...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 PM

7,183 posts, read 16,272,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
I've never met anyone who said they liked that store, let alone loved it. Most of my friends complain about it, too.
Heh, we haven't met (that I know of), but I love HEB. I was thrilled when we finally got one in Westlake. I like it because the company is an extremely well run private corp, plus the employees are always very happy -- a sign they are well taken care of. HEBs do tend to get crowded, though, and sometimes are almost too much of a hassle to make it worth the price savings! I'm thinking especially of the one at Brodie & Wm Cannon. It's a nice newer store, but man does it get crowded and the in/out access from the parking lot is horrible.

Oh and readymade:

Quote:
Thanks for the grocery store advice. Just to clarify: when you say "I'm going to the HEB," you pronounce it like "H.E.B.?" Saying each letter separately?
Yes! Exactly, except maybe you wouldn't say "the". You say each letter. H-E-B... To actually pronounce it like a word could be offensive to some!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Default HEB, generally

I am not complaining about HEB, generally. As a store, I like it. I was beefing about that particular location.

And I'm the one who also recommended Battle Bend. I think that neighborhood is great. I don't live there, but we put in offers on 2 different homes there, full price offers in the last 8 months or so, and were trumped each time by a later offer--for less, too!--but for cash.

Cash trumps all when selling a house, man. Battle Bend seems like a great neighborhood, very convenient. It reminds me a lot of the subdivision I grew up in in suburban Chicago, same age, same scale...and the prices there are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or