Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 31,798 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Austin the end of September or beginning of October. What is a good lead time for finding a rental place? Is it better to secure a place well in advance, say a month? Or are places mostly advertised when they come up and maybe 2 weeks in advance would be better?

I ask this because I had a bad experience once when I moved to Boston and thought I could find a place one month in advance. They said 3 months in advance was standard! For most places though, I have found 1 month in advance to be best.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
My observations (and looking at when rentals are available when they come on the market) say that one month is appropriate. But are you thinking apartment or house?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
I just looked for and found an apartment today. Most of them wanted me to rent for August 1 (it's July 17)! In my application, I asked for August 15, so we'll see if they accept. I would say whenever you go, to plan for the 1st of the proceeding month.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,861 times
I have a rental condo and I advertise one month before the lease ends. You'll usually be able to find something within 2 weeks of your needed date. A month early is probably the outset of the time frame. As a landlord, I have a hard time signing someone a month-plus in advance if my property is empty...means another month of mortgage without rent when the possibility is greater that someone will come in and rent right away. I'd suggest coming 2 weeks prior to your move date...you'll find something. There's plenty to choose from.

This isn't Boston or NYC or SF where the vultures circulate and all converge on a scarce open apartment...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 31,798 times
Thanks for the help. It sounds like 2 - 3 weeks would get the best results. It will be nice not to have to compete so much for a decent place. If possible, we would prefer a rental house but I know those are harder to come by.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakentransform View Post
Thanks for the help. It sounds like 2 - 3 weeks would get the best results. It will be nice not to have to compete so much for a decent place. If possible, we would prefer a rental house but I know those are harder to come by.
You can find them. I just rented a house. Look on Craigslist, drive around, and contact a realtor (PM me if you need a really fantastic one that helped us find our house).

Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
They're definitely easy to come by. I've been taking folks around lately to look at them; it's just a matter of figuring out where you want to live and making a choice. Particularly with the market softening a bit here, folks are putting their houses on the lease market when they don't sell and waiting for better times.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:53 AM

38 posts, read 122,220 times
Hi there, I'm moving to Austin from NY in the September time frame and I'm actually out here in Austin now looking for places. I just took a 1 bedroom in an apartment complex to be ready 9/15. The complexes require a 2 month notice on vacating apartments so right now they have what will be available through the middle of september so if you're looking for an apartment in a complex I say start now or by the end of the month if you're looking for september/october time frame... you'll get the pick of the litter. In fact, most of the available ones for july and most of august were already snatched up. Also, I've seen a few apartment complexes in the Arboretum/Northwest Hills area so if you're looking in that area and want some insight or advice direct message me and I'll be glad to let you know what I saw. I also used a rental locator so I can let know who I used too... they're free so I think its worth wild. Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa7 View Post
Hi there, I'm moving to Austin from NY in the September time frame and I'm actually out here in Austin now looking for places. I just took a 1 bedroom in an apartment complex to be ready 9/15. The complexes require a 2 month notice on vacating apartments so right now they have what will be available through the middle of september so if you're looking for an apartment in a complex I say start now or by the end of the month if you're looking for september/october time frame... you'll get the pick of the litter. In fact, most of the available ones for july and most of august were already snatched up. Also, I've seen a few apartment complexes in the Arboretum/Northwest Hills area so if you're looking in that area and want some insight or advice direct message me and I'll be glad to let you know what I saw. I also used a rental locator so I can let know who I used too... they're free so I think its worth wild. Good Luck!
Honestly, this post surprises the heck out of me. Every house I looked at yesterday (7/17/08) was renting for August 1. Granted I didn't look at apartments, but on Craigslist I didn't see anyone renting ANYthing for September or October. If you come 2 months early, you run a very big risk of having to pay 2 extra months of rent just to keep it. I'm going to have to pay for 3 extra weeks, myself, as I don't want to move in until the end of August.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM

38 posts, read 122,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Honestly, this post surprises the heck out of me. Every house I looked at yesterday (7/17/08) was renting for August 1. Granted I didn't look at apartments, but on Craigslist I didn't see anyone renting ANYthing for September or October. If you come 2 months early, you run a very big risk of having to pay 2 extra months of rent just to keep it. I'm going to have to pay for 3 extra weeks, myself, as I don't want to move in until the end of August.
Yeah I guess it depends on what you're looking for. All the managed apartment complexes told me they now require a 60 day vacating notice so they have what's available out by 2 months. So I guess if you want to rent a house or a privately owned building then give start looking later but if you want a managed complex start looking sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin