Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:29 PM

187 posts, read 844,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I also will probably not eat any other pizza than HomeSlice (not that I tried any others). My only major beef with them is that there is only one and that they don't deliver. That's a problem.
Home Slice is tasty, yes, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you try the pizza at East Side Pies. I think it kicks Home Slice's butt. Also very thin, but better selection of toppings, I think.

They will not deliver to you in your new South East rental, but they do deliver on the North East side. And, during the business week, they do deliver for lunchtime to a small area downtown to the west of 35.

East Side Pies isn't really a place to sit and eat, either; call it in and pick it up. We liked to go and hear some music, and then pick up a pie on the way home. Delicioso!

Since you seem to favor South Congress, and since you seem to enjoy restaurants, I would suggest that you eat Mexican food at Curra's before Guero's. I think Guero's is super-mediocre, but wildly popular. Curra's also has a following, but I think their food is far better than Guero's.

El Sol y La Luna, next door to the Austin Motel where you stayed, is better than Curra's. If you didn't eat there, you should.

We first lived in South East Austin when we relocated from Chicago last summer, and we loved the location. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 96,253 times
Default Good, not cheap sushi

Funny, haven't thought of cheap sushi, since gas was under buck- fity. Good ones to try: Sushi-saki at gateway (mopac/360),new one opened on 620 just south of St. Davids/north of Brushy in that new strip center put up.....for those on the north side. I must say in aprvious life traveling, I was partial to anyplace that had a small moat, with plates floating by, and they would talley up the stack of empties and charge according to colored dish. Anybody seen that before?

Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,206,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
Home Slice is tasty, yes, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you try the pizza at East Side Pies. I think it kicks Home Slice's butt. Also very thin, but better selection of toppings, I think.

They will not deliver to you in your new South East rental, but they do deliver on the North East side. And, during the business week, they do deliver for lunchtime to a small area downtown to the west of 35.

East Side Pies isn't really a place to sit and eat, either; call it in and pick it up. We liked to go and hear some music, and then pick up a pie on the way home. Delicioso!

Since you seem to favor South Congress, and since you seem to enjoy restaurants, I would suggest that you eat Mexican food at Curra's before Guero's. I think Guero's is super-mediocre, but wildly popular. Curra's also has a following, but I think their food is far better than Guero's.

El Sol y La Luna, next door to the Austin Motel where you stayed, is better than Curra's. If you didn't eat there, you should.

We first lived in South East Austin when we relocated from Chicago last summer, and we loved the location. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
That's funny, my husband is from Chicago too.

I'll definitely check out East Side Pies, thanks!

I actually DID eat at Curra's during my visit. I forgot to mention it. It was muy delicioso! I loved their salsa. I'll check out Sol y La Luna, too, thanks.

I also ate at an Italian place that I can't remember the name of. It was on South Congress (on the left heading south). It was just OK. Not that great, actually. The only "just OK" meal I had in Austin.

I wish we'd had time to go see some bands & check out some clubs but we were just too exhausted at the end of every day. Something to look forward to...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,219 times
Quote:
What's your recommendation there? I've been there three times and have yet to have anything I really loved. Nothing was bad, mind you, but seemed ordinary. But I really, really want to love the place, it's really cute and homey and they have some decent music on the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I also ate at an Italian place that I can't remember the name of. It was on South Congress (on the left heading south). It was just OK. Not that great, actually. The only "just OK" meal I had in Austin.
I think you're thinking of The Treehouse. I've heard the same...just OK. I've never been much for eating out at Italian restaurants anyway...Being mostly Italian and growing up on three generations of home cooking, going out and paying for that kind of food always seemed strange

Never-the-less, we're still looking for a good, cheap Italian place on the South side. Nothing fancy, just a place to get some eggplant parm now and again!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,787,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolGuy View Post
Funny, haven't thought of cheap sushi, since gas was under buck- fity. Good ones to try: Sushi-saki at gateway (mopac/360),new one opened on 620 just south of St. Davids/north of Brushy in that new strip center put up.....for those on the north side. I must say in aprvious life traveling, I was partial to anyplace that had a small moat, with plates floating by, and they would talley up the stack of empties and charge according to colored dish. Anybody seen that before?
We may have had something similar ... "floating sushi bar". It was all you can eat, but there were signs everywhere warning you not to take anything you weren't going to eat. I suppose it may have been similar to the concept of counting the empties. Wasn't very good, though, and the place burned down.

Small description is here: Beetsolonely: North Austin Buffet Palace Burns

Old 07-21-2008, 06:28 AM

187 posts, read 844,407 times
My recommendation of El Sol y La Luna is based upon the fact that I'm vegetarian, and they have very good vegetarian selections, including spinach enchiladas that are very fresh, not frozen chopped stuff. My husband is not veggie, nor is his best friend here, and we like it because it's not the Tex-Mex drowned in cheesy sauce thing, either. They like it better than Curra's too. Polvo's is also good for their different salsas, but the crowds there are too much for us...not worth the wait.

If you like extra cheese Tex-Mex stuff, then El Sol might not be the place for you.

And, really, our favorite place, which is interior Mexican and not Tex-Mex, is in our small town of Taylor: Ricoco's Latin Grill. Better than ANY Mexican food we've had in Austin. So head out to Taylor and go to Ricoco's...

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,219 times
Quote:
My recommendation of El Sol y La Luna is based upon the fact that I'm vegetarian, and they have very good vegetarian selections, including spinach enchiladas that are very fresh, not frozen chopped stuff. My husband is not veggie, nor is his best friend here, and we like it because it's not the Tex-Mex drowned in cheesy sauce thing, either. They like it better than Curra's too. Polvo's is also good for their different salsas, but the crowds there are too much for us...not worth the wait.
Well, I've tried being strictly veggie many times and it doesn't seem to stick I make it about 9mos and I slip back. That being said, about 80% of my diet is vegetarian, so thanks for the tip. That could make a huge difference in how a restaurant is perceived. I'll definitely try the spinach enchiladas. Only been to Polvo's once and it was pretty good. I've also heard very good things about Sazon on S Lamar. Also, have you tried Casa de Luz(vegan)?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 28,549 times
Default suburbs in Austin

We're thinking of moving there as well, and I've heard great things.
What are some of the nicer suburbs for family living? First, we'll look to see what kind of house we can get for what kind of price...I've seen houses under 200k, which is unheard of in the boston area.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,978,984 times
Quote:
I lOVED the oppressive heat. I know it's not for everyone, but it was for me.
I know what you mean. I also love the heat. Give me thirty 100 degree days in a row and I'm happy (with some rain thrown in as well though, for at least a few days). I can't explain why, but the heat just doesn't bother me at all.

And you're right abought needed a sweater. Sort of funny. We keep extra sweaters in the cars for the kids and my wife for when we might eat out or go somewhere indoors. They all get really cold inside, but I love the cold as well.

Welcome to Austin!!

Steve

Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
For interior Mexican in town, I'd say go to Azul Tequila. Absolutely wonderful food, great margaritas (and I'm VERY picky about my margaritas!), good service. Just ignore the fact that it's in a strip center and you're in for a treat.

Haven't tried the place in Taylor, though. Might have to do that for lunch someday this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin