Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
I hate the heat to a degree that I've really been inside all summer, and didn't notice that it was a bad summer (98 and 99 were really hot, and if people are saying this one is up there...ugh). That's how I get depression...inside with the blinds drawn to keep the elec bill down. I just don't go out unless I have to because I HATE it! We're seriously looking at a move to the PNW in the next year and I'm really looking forward to that.
If keeping the light out depresses you, DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, go to the Pac NW.

October to June = four total days of sunlight

It doesn't help, being relatively far north, the 'sun' rises about 7:30 and sets @ 4:30 in the winter.

July/August/most of September can be nice, but it's not worth the winter blues.

The weather didn't affect my moods until we were in Portland for four years, and there, winter/spring really bummed me out.

It's a real drag when for three months, you see your house in the light only on the weekend... I wasn't working exceptionally long hours, and had a 20 minute commute. Headlights on going both to and from work, and not always because of rain/drizzle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
If keeping the light out depresses you, DON'T, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, go to the Pac NW.

October to June = four total days of sunlight

It doesn't help, being relatively far north, the 'sun' rises about 7:30 and sets @ 4:30 in the winter.

July/August/most of September can be nice, but it's not worth the winter blues.

The weather didn't affect my moods until we were in Portland for four years, and there, winter/spring really bummed me out.

It's a real drag when for three months, you see your house in the light only on the weekend... I wasn't working exceptionally long hours, and had a 20 minute commute. Headlights on going both to and from work, and not always because of rain/drizzle.
I second this. I went to Portland for a visit to see about possibly living there. My husband & I chatted with a bunch of people who lived there and found out that it rains about 9 months out of the year. YIKES! Has a very high rate of suicide and depression, too. Still a great city, though, and fun to visit.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I second this. I went to Portland for a visit to see about possibly living there. My husband & I chatted with a bunch of people who lived there and found out that it rains about 9 months out of the year. YIKES! Has a very high rate of suicide and depression, too. Still a great city, though, and fun to visit.
We lived in Portland for 7 years and I can tell you there is no better place to spend summer than in Pacific NW. I just cannot believe how miserable Austin summers are.. although I would say that winter is definitely better in Austin.

It does *not* rain for 9 months in Portland -- it certainly didnt for the 7 years we lived there. In my opinion this is as inaccurate as a Portlander saying that Austin is 105+ degrees 9 months in a year.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
...hot maybe be uncomfortable but cold hurts.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 AM

339 posts, read 1,435,679 times
Default Nope hot hurts me way worse than cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
It does *not* rain for 9 months in Portland -- it certainly didnt for the 7 years we lived there. In my opinion this is as inaccurate as a Portlander saying that Austin is 105+ degrees 9 months in a year.
Darn skippy. My parents lived there for 3 1/2 years-- well in Vancouver WA but close enough--and *they* LOVED it. And they were surprised at how many sunny days they did get because soooo many people had told them it was going to be consistently, painfully gray. When it did rain, which yes was often but not constant, it came down so gently that it freaked my mom out as she was used to the violent thunderstorms of TX. Rather than feeling suicidal and home bound, as the NW is sometimes unfairly known for, my parents positively thrived there and were more active in that city than in any other place they've ever lived.

Obviously it's different strokes for different folks and it's interesting to read about people's drastically different tolerance levels towards (arguably) extreme climate locations. All I know is I do grow extremely depressed/gritchy/reclusive in hot weather and, as pointed out, cannot truly label myself as SAD, but whatever the summer equivalent, I got it and no one can strip me of my bitterness towards TX's grueling high temps! Ok? Ok.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I am not saying that people who don't like the sun and heat don't experience some sort of depression, but by definition, SAD does NOT work both ways. SAD is specific to fall and winter weather blues.
As much as I despise this oppressive heat, I'm going to have to agree with you here. Not being able to walk outside comfortably or do the things I like to do when it's nice out ticks me off, but it does not compare to the depression that accompanies winters in Northern New England (High temps of 0 degrees, darkness at 4:15pm, months of grey, isolation, no sunlight). At least here you can crank up the A/C and open the blinds. The sunlight definitely helps brighten the spirits.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:52 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
I agree completely. This has to be one of the worst summers I can remember. I miss last summer where it was 74 degrees in July. I actually wore a light sweater to the office. I'm just hoping this is atypical and next summer won't be so bad.

In my opinion, this summer is typical of Texas summers. The 74 in July is atypical and not to be counted on as a regular occurance.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
In my opinion, this summer is typical of Texas summers. The 74 in July is atypical and not to be counted on as a regular occurance.
Other than the lack of rain through June, the heat seemed pretty normal.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
I have to agree with the statement that heat may be uncomfortable, but cold can be downright painful. Imagine spending months in a place where it gets so cold that even with extra gloves, your hands still hurt or where the wind chill hitting your face feels like it's burning the skin off. And if you really want to feel pain, imagine your home heating bill. With the price of oil only going up, having a warm home in the winter may someday become a luxury.

But it's interesting to see how the weather affects people. I guess I can understand why some people might get depressed by oppressive heat. For me, a lack of sun would depress me. As cold as it gets during Chicago winters, I feel much better on the days it's sunny. That's why I ruled out ever moving to the PNW. Besides the higher cost of living, I could never take having long periods of no sun or having shorter days. I'm sure I will hate Austin summers, but I also think the rest of the year will make up for it.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Other than the lack of rain through June, the heat seemed pretty normal.
June was NOT normal. It was the second hottest on record in the last 154 years. I think we broke records for the number of days over 100. Unfortunately, me thinks it may be normal going forward....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin