U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,015,936 times

Advertisements

US News' Best Universities list holds about much water as all Top 10 Cities to Live In lists.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

351 posts, read 260,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The UT system is an excellent choice, almost all majors are exceptional. It also has a great engineering department, actually tied with Purdue for #9.
-

US News.com Ranking (scores 5.0 = highest) for Undergraduate Engineering Programs, 2008
World Science & Engineering University Portal: America's Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs 2008
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (4.9)
2. Stanford University (CA)
3. University of California–Berkeley *
4. California Institute of Technology
5. Georgia Institute of Technology *
5. University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign *
7. Cornell University (NY)
7. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor *
9. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
9. Purdue University – West Lafayette (IN)*
9. University of Texas–Austin *
Last year 2007, Purdue's engineering programs ranked No. 5.
"We anticipated a dip in this year's rankings," said Leah Jamieson, the John A. Edwardson Dean of Engineering. "The guidelines for data that we submit to U.S. News are open to interpretation, and we made a decision to respond with a more literal approach this year and in the future.

The WSJ holds Michigan and Purdue as the top two recruited engineering schools in the nation. Overall don't you go to college for a great education and then to get a job? Would you not then go where more companies are looking than anywhere else? Michigan put the first man in space and Purdue put the first and last man on the moon. It is about tradition, reputation and the fact that more CEO's of engineering firms have come from Purdue and Michigan than any other engineering school. Now if my child wanted to go into business or accounting than UT would be at the top on the list. Football So. Cal. would be my first pick along with many others. I wouldn't put all my faith in the US News and World Report as they do not hold schools to strict guidelines. Schools can use a broad interpretation or a narrower one which in essence means you are not getting the true story nor comparing apples to apples. It should be used as a resource not a bible to the top schools. When I look at the best schools I look at rankings, endowments, research grants, alums (who has gone there and what have they done) and is it a good fit will the person thrive.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,227,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal512 View Post
Last year 2007, Purdue's engineering programs ranked No. 5.
"We anticipated a dip in this year's rankings," said Leah Jamieson, the John A. Edwardson Dean of Engineering. "The guidelines for data that we submit to U.S. News are open to interpretation, and we made a decision to respond with a more literal approach this year and in the future.

The WSJ holds Michigan and Purdue as the top two recruited engineering schools in the nation. Overall don't you go to college for a great education and then to get a job? Would you not then go where more companies are looking than anywhere else? Michigan put the first man in space and Purdue put the first and last man on the moon. It is about tradition, reputation and the fact that more CEO's of engineering firms have come from Purdue and Michigan than any other engineering school. Now if my child wanted to go into business or accounting than UT would be at the top on the list. Football So. Cal. would be my first pick along with many others. I wouldn't put all my faith in the US News and World Report as they do not hold schools to strict guidelines. Schools can use a broad interpretation or a narrower one which in essence means you are not getting the true story nor comparing apples to apples. It should be used as a resource not a bible to the top schools. When I look at the best schools I look at rankings, endowments, research grants, alums (who has gone there and what have they done) and is it a good fit will the person thrive.
At our house, college is much more than just a place to get ready to be a worker drone. I know too many people who started college as Computer Science majors and ended up in Classical Studies. That's why I like a place like UT, that gives you lots of choices, all good. We think college is a place to grow, to learn about yourself. Check out these amazing colleges. Colleges That Change Lives

Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,406,721 times
Good link mimimomx3 I'm a looong way off from the college years yet, but at least this thread is giving me places to think about (or I should say, my daughter to think about)

Old 07-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Good link mimimomx3 I'm a looong way off from the college years yet, but at least this thread is giving me places to think about (or I should say, my daughter to think about)
It comes all too soon....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM

351 posts, read 260,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
At our house, college is much more than just a place to get ready to be a worker drone. I know too many people who started college as Computer Science majors and ended up in Classical Studies. That's why I like a place like UT, that gives you lots of choices, all good. We think college is a place to grow, to learn about yourself. Check out these amazing colleges. Colleges That Change Lives
Michigan and Purdue offer no other options for some one as narrow minded as you I suppose. That's why your kids will work for mine.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Michigan and Purdue offer no other options for some one as narrow minded as you I suppose. That's why your kids will work for mine.
Maybe they will, and maybe they won't. As long as they're independent, happy and fulfilled, that's fine with me. It's their life after all.

As for Michigan and Purdue, they're fine schools. As is UT.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM

70 posts, read 278,569 times
I wasn't a big fan of the top 10% rule. I knew a lot of kids who took a lot of easy classes (lets face it guys, some subjects in highschool are worthless ) and got into UT school of business just because those easy subjects inflated their GPA. I got in, being in the top 25% but I had to endure the whole waiting-for-admissions-letter-to-come-into mail to know.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,406,721 times
Quote:
wow, that was kind of snotty At least her kids will GO to college. Who knows, maybe they'll go to school relaxed and really enjoy their experience and do great without the pressure to relive moms college life but moreso. Less worry about disappointing mom and dad.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:54 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,015,936 times
Quote:
That's why your kids will work for mine.
The saying goes A students work for C students since they don't have the social skills to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or