U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:14 AM

477 posts, read 1,404,316 times

Advertisements

Hill Country Bible sounds exactly like what you're describing. We looked for a church for 3 years and love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:23 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,124,358 times
I'm shocked that only one person has suggested Shoreline in this thread. That's the first place I thought of when I saw the original post.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
As you see, there are people here who have big theological axes to grind. I'm wondering, however, if what people are suggesting are actually simply places with so-called "contemporary worship" style, rather than what I would think of as "progressive" as the OP stated. I'm not sure what was meant by that, but I would tend to think it's getting at something other than simply contemporary worship style and informality. I frankly don't think of so-called "Bible churches" as progressive, but instead as more or less fundamentalist. There are many progressive Methodist congregations in Austin and some may have so-called contemporary worship. This might also be true of University Baptist on the drag. I'd suggest taking a look at the ads for United Methodist churches in the yellow pages. You may see some that identify a contemporary service or you can call some likely suspects -- University Methodist, Faith UMC (S. Lamar), and there's one whose name eludes me at the moment up close to Duval and about 53rd. Allendale UMC might be another possibility. Also Saint Matthew's Episcopal almost certainly has a contemporary service, but probably not the full band the OP is looking for. None of that is my cup of tea, however.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 PM

4,357 posts, read 5,562,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
As you see, there are people here who have big theological axes to grind. I'm wondering, however, if what people are suggesting are actually simply places with so-called "contemporary worship" style, rather than what I would think of as "progressive" as the OP stated. I'm not sure what was meant by that, but I would tend to think it's getting at something other than simply contemporary worship style and informality. I frankly don't think of so-called "Bible churches" as progressive, but instead as more or less fundamentalist.
Thanks for clarifying that, doctorjef. I agree that "contemporary" usually refers to a style of worship, whereas "progressive" usually refers to a theological outlook which is more "liberal" and not "fundamentalist." Personally, I don't care much for contemporary worship, but will be looking for a progressive church, hopefully Methodist, although some Methodist churches tend to be a little more conservative than I would like. I think you just have to go and see what you think. Preferences in churches are very emotionally based, so it is hard to make recommendations to others. In addition our personal interpretation of all these labels can vary widely.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,295,338 times
I really would suggest looking into University Methodist then. I think I'll also see if I can find the name and exact location of the little Methodist church I'm thinking of off Duval.

OK, found it -- it's Trinity UMC at 600 E. 50th Street. That's a couple of blocks east of Duval and I think it's probably on Evans Ave. That's a completely residential area, very much within the UT community. Definitely progressive, though don't no about the age mix or the worship style.

Last edited by doctorjef; 05-31-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,117 times
Humph, Austin Stone Community Church is SOUTHERN BAPTIST. It is young, but certainly not progressive!!

Last edited by gato123; 01-01-2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: add data

Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM

4,357 posts, read 5,562,405 times
I imagine that the OP has long since settled on a church, since the thread was started 2 1/2 years ago. But just by way of an update for me, we found Oak Hill UMC to be a really great church. It is progressive, has lots of opportunities for community outreach, and if someone wants it, they have a contemporary service. I don't think this is unique in Austin, and I imagine that there are other Methodist churches that have similar programs. But this one is in the area that we are hoping to live in, so we have been attending there and enjoying it.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM

12 posts, read 14,407 times
Sorry...I have been looking for a church that is not "steeped" into the "prosperity message-the pastor is God-only way you will be blessed is to give to the pulpit" and haven't found one yet. However if you come across one, please let me know...

Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM

428 posts, read 918,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ashanti View Post
Sorry...I have been looking for a church that is not "steeped" into the "prosperity message-the pastor is God-only way you will be blessed is to give to the pulpit" and haven't found one yet. However if you come across one, please let me know...
Have you tried Gateway?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Gateway Community Church!! The pastor, John Burke, is very real. I grew up in church, but always felt so much was missing, but found it when I started going to Gateway. The messages are real, the community is welcoming, and you don't have to be afraid to be yourself there - seriously, it's very authentic there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or