U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 07:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,602,031 times

Advertisements

I had a serious hankering for Irish food, tonight.

English food would have worked just fine. Fish and chips, not from Long John Silver, but good, would have been perfect.

Knowing what an Irish Black and Tan is, is a bonus.

To be perfectly honest, LJS's fish isn't done badly at all, IMO. Hot, crisp, light... All it lacks is a good dark brew to quench the heat.

We stopped at Dog and Duck. The 'atmosphere' put me off. It was priced well, but the tables next to us took our chairs, and they weren't going to be quiet.

We headed down to 6th just to see what was around, as we were already mighty close. B. D. Riley's jumped out at me, and we managed to park about a block away, after only one circling of the block. Not bad at all, even on an early Thursday evening.

My wife and I both had fish and chips. The chips were good, but the fish was both soggy and tasteless. If they'd not had malt vinegar on the table, it would have been akin to eating loaves of tasteless soy.

They did know what an Irish black and tan was...even asked if I wanted Bass or Smithwick's. A nice touch, and unexpected.

However, the waitress was slow and not particularly attentive and the food was mediocre. I regret moving from the Duck and Dog, even after getting a negative 'vibe'. Sometimes, you just get a wrong 'feel' for a place, and that's what hit me at D&D.

No, I didn't look here, first, to research Irish/English eateries. I have in the past, but we decided on this in the car, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM

485 posts, read 1,769,936 times
Mother Egan's has delicious fish and chips and all the Irish/Eng beers. The guy who started it is from Ireland. We haven't been in a long time though b/c it's considered a bar, so we can't take our kids in.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:44 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,431,150 times
Fado Austin - Fado Irish Pub and Restaurant Austin, fado, irish pub, irish pubs, Guinness

I googled and came up with Fado Irish pub on 4th st. Never been, but reading the menu makes me want to go!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,786,967 times
I second Fado. I go several times through out the year. Good food, great staff, and usually great bands.
Inside or outside the atmosphere is great.

If you are looking for quiet time I would suggest not going Friday - Saturday at night.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,017,228 times
Fado has a good (if bit contrived) atmosphere and respectable Irish pub dishes. Dog and Ducks does have decent food and is a great bar so I'd give it another chance.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,410,658 times
We used to go to Fado in Denver a lot. It does have good food and atmosphere. I haven't been to the one here, but I'm sure it's just as good. We usually like B.D Rileys but we've never eaten there, just had beers and listened to music. I think we've probably been to Dog and Duck too, I just don't remember much about it.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:28 AM

And why is that?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,410,658 times
hmmmm...let's see...possibly too many alcoholic beverages In which case, I probably SHOULD have had some food

Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM

Naaaahhhhh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or