Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am planning to move from New Orleans to Austin in about a month's time. I will be coming to Austin to look for apartments next week.

I am a single male in my late 30's. My budget is around $1600. I have got a general idea about the neighborhoods - from a previous visit in 2004 and online research. I really like to walk to different places (restaurants, coffee shops, etc.) and have got a good idea of walkability of different Austin neighborhoods (from the Walk Score website that some kind soul posted a link to on the forums).

Based on online search, I am planning to check out the following properties. Some specific questions follow. But also if any of you have comments about the property, its management, neighborhood, safety (of the location as well as the property), noise, etc., I would appreciate that information.

a. Triangle (on 4600 Guadalope W).

b. AMLI downtown (201 Lavaca) Question: is this area noisy?

c. 300 North Lamar. Question: this property is right next to the train line. Is this really noisy?

c. Riverside Place (300 East Riverside Drive). Question: how safe is this area?

d. The Crescent (127 East Riverside Drive). Question: again, how safe is this area?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Okay, I am a completely different demographic from you but I do have few insights for what it is worth.

a. Triangle (on 4600 Guadalope W). Great new development, Farmer's Market there every wednesday, stuff in the immediate development to walk to, near funky N. Lamar and close to UT. Probably not overrun with students, maybe too quiet and not near the action enough for you.

b. AMLI downtown (201 Lavaca) Question: is this area noisy? Probably, it is in the middle of everything though, walk to Town Lake and the trails, walk to City Hall, it is downtown, if you want something vaguely urban, this is about as close as you can get! Minutes to SoCo, minutes to UT. Ask about soundproofing, etc.

c. 300 North Lamar. Question: this property is right next to the train line. Is this really noisy? The trains run fairly often, how much it bothers you, I don't know.

c. Riverside Place (300 East Riverside Drive). Question: how safe is this area? Yay, it is safe. Pretty much everywhere in Austin is safe and I lived off E. Riverside for 7 years (and I'm still close) and never had a problem, some minor petty crime in the area, and of course, stuff happens. But it is nothing like "rough" areas of other cities. BUT this is an older complex slated for a complete re-do (demo and rebuild) by 2010.

d. The Crescent (127 East Riverside Drive). Question: again, how safe is this area? (Edited because I got confused and forgot for a minute that E/W in Austin is marked by Congress and not I-35, yes, I live right in between Congress and I-35 and I still get confused). The Crescent is still under construction, at least the section on the south side of Riverside, they are making incredible progress but I don't imagine that anything would be available for a 6 months at least. There might be some units (re-done not new) on the north side of the street that is part of the complex, not sure. Most of SoCo will be uphill from here, and you are across the river from downtown, there is a nice coffeeshop near by and much more up the hill and downtown, but walking in the summer would be hot (but doable), pretty close to the Lake and trail. I'd guess that this would be the quietest complex but the new units are directly on Riverside. You could walk to event at Auditorium Shores (even shorter walk from the AMLI)

If you like nightlife and lots going on, you want AMLI downtown, if you want a quieter older crowd, more small city than city, then the Triangle, close to downtown but closer to SoCo, then the Crescent. I'd imagine the other three choices are all cheaper.

Hope this helps, I go by all these complexes weekly, if not daily.

Last edited by centralaustinite; 07-23-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: error in directions

Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM

67 posts, read 177,130 times
I can't help all of you with all of them, but I do have several friends that live at the Triangle and AMLI.

The triangle does have a lot of grad students...more of a party atmosphere than you might think. They recently raised rents quite a bit and many of them are moving out so it may calm down

The AMLI is loud if you live on the side facing 2nd Street. If you are on the other side it isn't that bad. If you have 1600 you could check out the new AMLI a little over a block away. Its nice and you shouldn't have noise issues. That is just a guess, I haven't heard either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin