Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Texas: Austin, transplants, housing, job market, rental property, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:55 PM

264 posts, read 999,347 times

Advertisements

Out-of-state homeowners add to foreclosure woes (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/realestate/07/26/0726foreclosures.html - broken link)

This article backs up my claims since day 1. I'm in the real estate business and I've met and come across soooo many Californians who simply came here looking to make a quick buck. They've ruined our neighborhoods with renters, and we're now getting double whammied as they're investments are being foreclosed on because of their greed. It couldn't be happening to a better group of transplants, as far as I'm concerned. Our streets are more crowded, our schools are more crowded, it's more difficult to find a job, housing prices are going up, and so on and so on, all because these greedy Californians who came here and continue to do so for their own personal gain. The number of Californians who have come here far outnumbers those from all other states combined. They bring their arrogance, attitudes, greed, and unfriendly personalities here and it has completely ruined our city/state. And it's not just in Austin, but all over Texas. I don't feel sorry for them one bit, in fact, I hope most Californians would retreat to where they came from. Sorry, but all of us real Texans who face a more difficult way of life because of all this migration from California, know what I mean. In fact, read other forums from other states like Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, etc and you'll start to notice the same kind of attitudes about Californians......they have this stereotype for a reason.

I will admit that there are a lot of transplants from California who have come here for legitimate reasons and who contribute to the society here in a lot of good ways and I have no problem with them. I'm ONLY talking about the "looking for a quick buck, greedy, selfish, arrogant, and obnoxious ones" that we all have dealt with from time to time that I'm focusing on in this thread. Unfortunately, I have to deal with more of them than most so I'm a little more passionate about my remarks, but they're everywhere these days.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:29 AM

979 posts, read 2,950,662 times
The article you linked to is not about transplants, it's about people who live "out of state" yet own rental property in Austin.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 AM

538 posts, read 1,734,115 times
This post seems strange coming from someone in the real estate business. Did you ask for, and receive, 6% commissions from the bloated prices they paid for local houses? Or did you ethically decide not to take them as clients? As far as your generalizations go, some fit the profile but hardly the majority. In any case, I am sure that there are far more Texas transplants in California than the converse. I don't think that your repatriation plan would be good for either state.

This post is timely, however. California recently experienced an upsurge in home sales last month. Most of this is attributed to the resale of foreclosed properties. In other words, the houses have again flipped only at a lower price than before. Who benefits? You guessed it...the real estate agents.

Last edited by sanmiguel; 07-26-2008 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-26-2008, 07:15 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,722,099 times
Those pesky California transplants.....there goes the neighborhood. I have to say, I've never heard that one before!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:26 AM

947 posts, read 3,134,409 times
Do you sell real estate to the CA investors that you dislike so much or do you decline there business? I'm still wondering how you know for sure that people from CA outnumber any other states combined. Have you taken a poll? Do they all go to your real estate office?

The article was about out of state investors who bought property and are now in foreclosure not about people who move here to live there lives.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 AM

132 posts, read 541,132 times
One of the things that I love the most about Texans is how friendly we are, and in a place like Austin we pride ourselves in our willingness to accept others. Its what makes Austin "eclectic" and different from the rest of Texas. I welcome anyone who wants to move here regardless of your intentions. Dont be so harsh man, after all you did "rob" them for 3%.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,290,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Do you sell real estate to the CA investors that you dislike so much or do you decline there business? I'm still wondering how you know for sure that people from CA outnumber any other states combined. Have you taken a poll? Do they all go to your real estate office?

AustinTexan, are you a real estate agent? If so, you might want to go to the first page of the Forum and follow the link that tells you to go sign up in the real estate group so that you'll be identified as an agent and not be here incognito.

That being said, there are a lot of people working in the real estate industry who aren't agents. Inspectors, escrow officers, appraisers, the list goes on.

I have absolutely no problem with those, from anywhere, who move here because they love it here and don't want to turn it into anything other than what it is. They are welcome with open arms, as far as I'm concerned.

The only ones I have a problem with are those who move here and start complaining and badmouthing our state because it's not just like it was where they came from (and if that's what they want, the point of moving anywhere else escapes me - seems like a lot of money and energy for no gain). That applies whether they are from California or New York City or Kansas or Timbuctoo. Right now, that seems (on forums, at least) to be done more by those from California, or even those that live in California, have never been to Texas in their life, but feel compelled to come on Texas forums in various places and talk about all the bad things about a state they've never even driven through (which really doesn't make sense, if you really think about it). Or who move here and gather in enclaves and talk about how wonderful California is and how terrible Texas is and how we can change things in Texas to make it like a little California.

So, if you're here from California (or Timbuctoo), look at those two descriptions and see which one fits. If the former, hey, let's go out for some good interior Mexican and a Margarita! If the latter, you're clearly miserable here, don't let the door hit you on your way out. If you're not here, have never been here, but are compelled to badmouth Texas on forums, get a life.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,084,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Out-of-state homeowners add to foreclosure woes (http://www.statesman.com/business/content/business/stories/realestate/07/26/0726foreclosures.html - broken link)

This article backs up my claims since day 1. I'm in the real estate business and I've met and come across soooo many Californians who simply came here looking to make a quick buck. They've ruined our neighborhoods with renters, and we're now getting double whammied as they're investments are being foreclosed on because of their greed. It couldn't be happening to a better group of transplants, as far as I'm concerned. Our streets are more crowded, our schools are more crowded, it's more difficult to find a job, housing prices are going up, and so on and so on, all because these greedy Californians who came here and continue to do so for their own personal gain. The number of Californians who have come here far outnumbers those from all other states combined. They bring their arrogance, attitudes, greed, and unfriendly personalities here and it has completely ruined our city/state. And it's not just in Austin, but all over Texas. I don't feel sorry for them one bit, in fact, I hope most Californians would retreat to where they came from. Sorry, but all of us real Texans who face a more difficult way of life because of all this migration from California, know what I mean. In fact, read other forums from other states like Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, etc and you'll start to notice the same kind of attitudes about Californians......they have this stereotype for a reason.

I will admit that there are a lot of transplants from California who have come here for legitimate reasons and who contribute to the society here in a lot of good ways and I have no problem with them. I'm ONLY talking about the "looking for a quick buck, greedy, selfish, arrogant, and obnoxious ones" that we all have dealt with from time to time that I'm focusing on in this thread. Unfortunately, I have to deal with more of them than most so I'm a little more passionate about my remarks, but they're everywhere these days.
The better way to look at this is that we get to buy cheap houses at their expense. That is the ultimate payback.

Also, people in many states hate texans for the same reasons - think colorado.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:03 PM

351 posts, read 335,142 times
How can we blame foreclosures on the folks from CA? I'm sorry I'm not following. The folks from CA used to be able to sell their 2000 sq. ft. home for $2.5 million and come to Austin and buy a 4000 sq. ft. anywhere pay cash if they want and still have more than enough left over to spend in our city. How is this bad for Austin? I'm not from CA but I'll take their money if they want to spend it in our fine city and keep our economy growing. Plus many folks from CA are creative with food and I like that!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:07 PM

264 posts, read 999,347 times
I am absolutely NOT a real estate agent but I know a lot of people and good friends who are. I am in the real estate development industry and I just work there, I don't benefit one penny from these Californians coming here for investment purposes, at all.

I unfortunately have to deal with them once they decide to move here or invest here. The ones who don't move here but instead just invest are the absolute WORST ones to deal with. They think that because we're selling them some land or whatever, we should maintain it or find someone to do so on their behalf. WRONG!!! They're arrogant, snobby, and don't even sound like they like Texas but that it's just a good investment for them. I am so glad to hear that so many of these greedy investors are losing money and retreating back to California. I'm sorry, but if you ask just about ANY real estate agent in Austin where most of the transplants are coming from, they will tell you hands down, California. We hear about the "good ones" on this forum but I can tell you first hand and in my experience that there are a lot of bad apples coming here. I think they're bitter that they're having to move across the country and leave behind family, friends, known surroundings, etc. and they just come here pissed off at the world sometimes. Anyway, this thread was simply about how these "investors" thought Austin was going to be easy money and how a lot of them are having to declare bankruptcy and retreat. I love it!! Maybe this article will open some eyes up to all the people who think that coming to Austin is a slam dunk.....cheap housing, plenty of jobs, high paying, etc. We need more articles like this printed all over California as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: