Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Pdx Pdx started this thread

2 posts, read 8,493 times

Advertisements

Hello, happy to have found this helpful forum.

We're semi-retired, looking to move to Austin, as winter Texans, and we are looking at some 2bd/1-2ba condos
with garage in the 78741 area off Timberwood Dr, Timber Ridge Rd.. Could anyone tell us anything about that neighborhood?

We're looking to be within a bike ride to SoCo. Wanting a safe, walkable neighborhood.
Just the two of us, to stay about 6 months a year, store some belongings while we travel, and lock it up or rent it the other 6 months.

Last edited by Pdx; 01-22-2007 at 11:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Hi Pdx,

The area you are asking about is just east of IH35, very close to downtown. The Timber Ridge condos are a nice, older community and you'll find a mix of students (close to the UT shuttle), singles, young couples and probably some empty nesters as well.

That area hasn't yet become one of the "hot" areas in Austin (it's MLS area 9), but I personally think it will soon because it's such a great location, convenient to everything.

Further east of Timber Ridge are some old 60's neighborhoods with ranch style homes, and some duplexes. Further southeast are some rougher areas with 4-plexes. North of Oltorf is a nice residential pocket off both side of Parker Lane with a good demographic mix.

For the purpose you are describing, I think you've found a very good candidate area to be looking for reasonably priced seasonaly digs. You would find very good walking across IH35 into Travis Heights (Stacy Park) or around St. Edwards University.

The main downside I would think would that you're right in some high traffic areas that close to IH35, but those are very affordable condos.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Pdx Pdx started this thread

2 posts, read 8,493 times
Thanks, Austin-Steve.
The neighborhood did look older but kept-up...and further southeast we noticed it seemed rougher.
We'll check out North of Oltorf on both sides of Parker Lane. And thanks for sharing your opinion re: MLS#9.
We'll look to rent (this Spring or Fall)*, while scouting the neighborhoods, with the plan to buy a condo as an investment
as well as our southern homebase. Any other areas we ought to check-out, that's not "Hot" yet?
How did the real estate market do here last Fall?
*(We're wondering if we should
step up our search now, or if waiting 'til September is OK.)

Biking doesn't look too safe, actually.
Any opinions re: the Austin CityBus system?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,604 times
Default Parker Lane area is great

I have lived on Parker Lane for past 15 years and have really grown to love it. We have an ecletic mix of neighbors and not so cookie cutter the same as I have seen in the suburbs. I love the tall mature trees and the only bad part is the heavy traffic on Parker Lane.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
I live off of Parker, north of Oltorf and I LOVE it! It's a very quiet neighborhood. I've seen the neighbors to the left & right of me, but that's it. No one has ever said "hi" to us (or even looked at us). This is totally fine with me as I don't feel the need to be friends with my neighbors. I rarely see anyone out & about. Again, this is cool with me, but it's something to note if you're looking for a more friendly kid-oriented neighborhood.

Other than the occasional police sirens in the distance (probably on Riverside), it's very very quiet. And it's VERY close to downtown, but it feels like its own semi-woodsy area... which is fantastic.

Something else to note is that this area is built on a fault line. A lot of the houses have structural damage... so definitely look out for that. Also, I don't think the school system is all that hot... so another thing to think about if you have kids. My husband & I are going to try to buy here within the next year and hope that the school system gets better in the next 5 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: