Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 AM

648 posts, read 1,957,559 times

Advertisements

Looks like this Austin move may actually happen after 6 months of trying to make it happen.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on Central Austin preschools and general thoughts on AISD schools. Is Gaullet a good school? Are the middle schools improving?

I have a Kindergartener and a preschooler. While private school can be an option, we'd really like to try to save some money and do private as I'm taking a HUGE pay cut to move to Austin. My Kindergartener is already reading and writing. Will that be a problem (i.e., will he/she be ignored in public school)?

Many moons ago, I tripped across a austin mommy's board but never registered as it was too early in the process. It was suggested as a great place to get ideas from other Austin moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 AM

361 posts, read 1,159,217 times
Casis, Brykerwoods, Doss and some others are very good AISD elementary schools. Don't know much about Gaullet...sorry.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 PM

28 posts, read 124,478 times
Do you mean Gullet Elementary in Allandale? If so, I have heard good things, but no personal experience. As far as preschools - there are many, but it depends on what you are looking for. There are church based MDOs, full time day care/preschool, montessori, reggio emilia, the UT preschool, etc. There are a ton of mommy groups in Austin - again it depends on what you are looking for and what your interests are. Check the meetup groups or the yahoo groups for starters! Good luck.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:44 PM

1,556 posts, read 2,384,109 times
I live near Gullett and my kids went there many moons ago. It was a great little neighborhood school with lots of parental involvement. So small that it almost felt like a private school. Many of those kids continued on successfully with the neighborhood Lamar Middle School and McCallum High School and thrived. It kind of bothers me that young parents today think they have to send their kids to private schools instead of investing any time or effort in helping public schools succeed.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,025,446 times
Gullet in Allandale earned an exemplary rating this year and it has been highly rated for many years. It is a popular school for transfers due to the high test scores, great principal, focus on animals, and teaching.

Highland Park is also an excellent, excellent, elementary school as is Lee Elementary (Hyde Park) all feed into Lamar Middle and then McCallum High.

Doss and Hill are great elementary schools in AISD as are Kiker, Barton Hills, Casis, Bykerwoods, and Matthews.

AISD works hard to keep the student teacher ratio at 22/1 which is pretty good. The degree of individualized instruction can vary depending on the teacher and the principal.

My kids do go to private school. I prefer a 15/1 ration and highly individualized instruction so my dyslexic kids get high levels of reading support as well as advanced math, science, and art instruction.

Every family situation is different. You can find great public schools in Austin. Do your research and visit schools if possible.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:09 PM

648 posts, read 1,957,559 times
Thanks. This is all very helpful.

As for a mommy board, not really looking for one to make friends. Something with a good bit of traffic and knowledgable moms.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,172,808 times
There are a couple of Yahoo groups -- Austin Education and Austin Attached Families -- you might want to check out. Also look at Meetup.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: