U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-30-2008, 05:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,033,539 times
Default Drive from Los Angeles to Austin: How long?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had done the drive from Los Angeles (or Ventura area) to Austin. If so, how long did it take? How many hours did you drive per day? How fast did you go? What towns did you stay in each night? I'm trying to get an idea of traffic conditions, etc...

Mapquest says the drive takes 21 hours (from Ventura). I wonder if it really does.

I'm leaving on a Tuesday, if that helps.

Are there any good "driving" type websites I should know about? I wish I had time to explore Phoenix, Tucscon, & El Paso, but I'll be driving with 2 cats & a dog... so that's probably not going to happen.

Any suggestions about inexpensive pet friendly motels along the way would be great as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM

550 posts, read 883,253 times
Default Sherman Oaks to El Paso.

I have driven from El Paso to Sherman Oaks and back. That is about a 17 hour trip. I would think you would still be 9 to 10 hours from Austin.

Unread 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM

397 posts, read 785,518 times
Depends on how fast you drive and how much time you like to spend at rest stops. Ventura to Phoenix is about 6 1/2 hrs. After staying there overnight, I would suggest you spend the next 9 boring hours driving to Fort Stockton where there are plenty of motels (don't know about pet friendly) from there it is a little over 5 hours through the hill country to Austin.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:03 PM

365 posts, read 950,507 times
Whatever you do, if you get to feeling drowsy, which I-10 will induce, pull over and either nap for a spell or get out and do jumping jacks for a minute. Do something...don't just try to shake it off.

Serioulsy, while I like the middle-of-nowhere much, much more than most folks, there is little-to-no visual stimuli out there.

I've ridden a motorcycle from LA to Dallas, did it in 26 hours, though I had to stop and thaw thanks to a nasty storm which dropped temperatures to 30F, or so. I was under a streetlamp on I-20 west of Big Spring, doing aforementioned jumping jacks @ 2 AM, trying to keep from getting full-body frostbite.

With critters, you'll probably need three days/two nights. Likely a stop in Tuscon, or so, and another in Fort Stockton. You might stop in Phoenix/El Paso as a combo, too. Depends on how y'all feel on day 1.

Don't let the I-10 speed limit in Texas fool you. 80 MPH isn't particularly fast out that way.... Although, with fuel costs being what they are, you might find traffic moving more slowly. Don't count on it, but it could happen.

I don't want to imply you've never been out that way in the summer, but BRING WATER! Y'never know what happens to vehicles on road trips, and it gets mighty hot out that way. Shade is more of a concept than a reality, too. With three critters, I'd make certain to have two gallons jugs of water. That'd do you for a few hours. Cats/dogs cool off only from panting and sweating through their paws (IIRC), so they need more water than you'd expect.

Cats can be entertaining when they're panting due to exertion...but only if it's planned.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:14 PM

945 posts, read 1,706,403 times
Good ideas from everyone above. This drive is pretty awful, especially the portion that goes through Texas.

It is going to be super hot driving through Arizona, so make sure your pets can stay hydrated and happy. A lot of the roadside motels allow pets if you pay a small additional fee.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:16 PM

3,704 posts, read 5,241,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here had done the drive from Los Angeles (or Ventura area) to Austin. If so, how long did it take? How many hours did you drive per day? How fast did you go? What towns did you stay in each night? I'm trying to get an idea of traffic conditions, etc...

Mapquest says the drive takes 21 hours (from Ventura). I wonder if it really does.

I'm leaving on a Tuesday, if that helps.

Are there any good "driving" type websites I should know about? I wish I had time to explore Phoenix, Tucscon, & El Paso, but I'll be driving with 2 cats & a dog... so that's probably not going to happen.

Any suggestions about inexpensive pet friendly motels along the way would be great as well.

Thanks!
I did OC to Austin this spring and it took about 19.5 hours. I drove straight through but we got slowed down a bit in east texas due to snow in the mountains. I typically drive 5 miles over the speed limit. We wanted to stop as well and didnt.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:19 PM

124 posts, read 351,022 times
I've done L.A. to Dallas in 24 hours. Long drive. Boring. Stop to take naps or take a partner to switch off with.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM

550 posts, read 883,253 times
Default Right !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Good ideas from everyone above. This drive is pretty awful, especially the portion that goes through Texas.

It is going to be super hot driving through Arizona, so make sure your pets can stay hydrated and happy. A lot of the roadside motels allow pets if you pay a small additional fee.
Yes. it's bad hot once you leave the coast line all the way. Make sure you pack a cooler with bottled water, coolant for your car, and keep the cell charged. I'am may be off a lttle on my times. We where going on the slower end making plenty of restroom brakes.

Unread 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM

2,220 posts, read 5,216,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post

I drove wife's grandmother's dog from San Francisco to Austin several years ago and the only motel between El Paso and Austin that took dogs was one of the two in Ozona. Hopefully it's improved since then. We had to sneak a Great Dane into the other motel!

Unread 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,728,188 times
If you can split it in two I would stay in Benson ARIZONA.

If you want to stop twice Casa Grande Arizona and Ft Stockton Texas

Safe trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin