U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2008, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 10,815 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a pre-pharmacy student with three wonderful children and a great husband who is going to be stationed at Fort Hood. I am a little scared because I have never been to Texas and we will not have any family or firends there to help us if needed. I do not know the areas their, but from reading some of the forums about the gardens and the horses sound so nice even though I am from Florida (smile). The school system is very important and having a safe and family oriented area to purchase a home is as well. I am use to being the single parent in school taking care of three children while my husband is deployed, (he is signal) so I need some help. Can someone help me please? Thanks In Advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:43 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,241,835 times
There are some towns around there that are very nice and safe. I don't personally know much about the area, but my husband drives there quite often because of work. If you also post this on the main Texas forum, there are some posters there who live near there and work on base, I think Bellestar being one of them. You should get lots of great info.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,657 times
Default Fort Hood information

Welcome to Fort Hood!

I ache to be back there; we just pcs'd to California from five years there at Hood. Yeah, the op tempo will kill you (50,000 soldiers there, not including families), but somehow it remains a very small town.

It depends on what you're looking for, but for me, our parish out in Heights was my lifeline during both deployments.

Overall, a lot of people will tell you Go To Heights (Harker Heights). Nicest part of the metro area, but the taxes will slap you silly if you're looking to buy. Lovely area, though, lots of developing going on with new Super Target, Barnes & Noble, etc. Just bordering Heights in south Killeen, however, they are putting up some great neighborhoods that feel just the same as Heights, but without the sobering Heights pricetag.

Cove is nice, too, very family-oriented, and a little farther out from post. Be prepared, though, for a bit of a drive (7 miles from post?), which may or may not be an issue for you with the gas prices, and when it backs up during the commute, you can sit there for a bit.

Be prepared for commuting times. This was non-existent when we got there in 2003, but was a fact of life by the time we left in April 08. At the wrong time of day, it take take you 30-40 minutes to travel 3 miles if you have to be on Hood Street, and there aren't any ways to avoid it if you live by the East Gate. 190 is a n i g h t m a r e during the commute (3:30-6:30/7:00): forewarned is forearmed.

By PCS time, though, I didn't want to go; Texas sunk right into my bones. We like how folks think there and how people care about more than just themselves.

By the way, my DH is Signal, too. "You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us." LOL

Prayers for a smooth and happy move for y'all!

Peace ~O~

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 AM

25 posts, read 66,886 times
I'm not a military guy, but I understand Fort Hood has a lot of groups that will help you get to know your neighbors, especially if your husband is deployed. You probably already know about the Family Readiness Group.

There's also this message board: Hood Underground - heart and soul of our Fort Hood community It may help you connect with others.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM

16,403 posts, read 22,652,651 times
We have quite a few Fort Hood families in Georgetown, as well. Close, but not too close, good schools, and they seem to support each other, as well. Just another option to consider.

You say you're a pre-pharmacy student - where will you be studying?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:46 PM

66 posts, read 117,503 times
I used to be stationed at Fort Hood. I actually lived in Round Rock/Georgetown for my last year, but that was when gas wasn't $4.

Harker Heights is the nicest suburb of Fort Hood if you ask me. (Killeen and Copperas Cove being the other ones)

You'll have plenty of resources from the post itself and the Family Support Groups in your husband's unit.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,891 times
My wife use to teach up there in Killeen. I am from Florida also. Texas to me and Florida has some similarities. While Killeen is not really Texas per say since many people are in the Military and are from somewhere else the advantage most people there are from the Military or have roots in the Military thus will be a help to you and your family.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We have quite a few Fort Hood families in Georgetown, as well. Close, but not too close, good schools, and they seem to support each other, as well. Just another option to consider.

You say you're a pre-pharmacy student - where will you be studying?
Yes I am a Pre-Pharmacy student, I will be attending University Of Texas in Austin

Old 08-16-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracoli View Post
Welcome to Fort Hood!

I ache to be back there; we just pcs'd to California from five years there at Hood. Yeah, the op tempo will kill you (50,000 soldiers there, not including families), but somehow it remains a very small town.

It depends on what you're looking for, but for me, our parish out in Heights was my lifeline during both deployments.

Overall, a lot of people will tell you Go To Heights (Harker Heights). Nicest part of the metro area, but the taxes will slap you silly if you're looking to buy. Lovely area, though, lots of developing going on with new Super Target, Barnes & Noble, etc. Just bordering Heights in south Killeen, however, they are putting up some great neighborhoods that feel just the same as Heights, but without the sobering Heights pricetag.

Cove is nice, too, very family-oriented, and a little farther out from post. Be prepared, though, for a bit of a drive (7 miles from post?), which may or may not be an issue for you with the gas prices, and when it backs up during the commute, you can sit there for a bit.

Be prepared for commuting times. This was non-existent when we got there in 2003, but was a fact of life by the time we left in April 08. At the wrong time of day, it take take you 30-40 minutes to travel 3 miles if you have to be on Hood Street, and there aren't any ways to avoid it if you live by the East Gate. 190 is a n i g h t m a r e during the commute (3:30-6:30/7:00): forewarned is forearmed.

By PCS time, though, I didn't want to go; Texas sunk right into my bones. We like how folks think there and how people care about more than just themselves.

By the way, my DH is Signal, too. "You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us." LOL

Prayers for a smooth and happy move for y'all!

Peace ~O~
Thank you so much for the information, I appreciate it!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:06 AM

Thank you all so much for the information thus far, I appreciate you! Be Blessed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin