Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 PM

87 posts, read 409,192 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We are pondering our next move so I am researching my options. Austin is at the frontrunner right now as we are creatives with young kids. So anyways, I have been looking at the houses for sale around Austin and am noticing that they seem to be all in planned/master communities. I prefer to get a 4 bedroom home with a big yard that is not in a planned community- any suggestions? My husbands employment would probably be in Austin city and we are used to commuting so a 20-30 minute drive is ok. We are originally from SoCal but we live in southern PA right now so we are looking forward to our next adventure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM

10 posts, read 122,220 times
You Should Check Out The Sunset Valley Bee Cave Dripping Springs Areas South Of The 290 And West Of The I35 Seems Like Lots Of Room In Those Areas Without All Planned Communities.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-25-2007 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,540 times
What's your price range?

Old 01-25-2007, 08:26 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
If you are looking to buy an existing house, you will probably have more luck finding one built in the 80s or earlier. Most houses from the mid-80s on are in planned communities (not all, of course). There are some areas in NW Austin (in a few mile radius of the arboretum) that have some older lots (i.e. bigger lots) with houses from the 60s and 70s, mostly. I lived up in this area and really liked the 'unplanned' feel of the neighborhood. Some of the houses were quite different, and very few had the same floor plan. The trees are mature, which is very nice looking, and in the neighborhood I lived in there was really no HOA rules. That was a plus in the neighborhood I was in...there was no outrageous 'behavior', but that may depend on you point of view. OF course, there were no sidewalls (or not many), but they still deliver the mail to your door.

Sunset Valley area (mentioned above) has some nice communities that are not over-planned and are on the south side of town.

Anyway, this is one are to consider (it is relatively accessible to downtown Austin), but you probably should check with a good realtor and go over your specific needs.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 AM

70 posts, read 369,423 times
You'll have lots of options w/in a 20-30 minute drive. As said above, NW Hills, there's also San Leanna, Manchaca, Cardinal Hills, Apache Shores, Travis Country, Cat Mountain... All the areas I threw out there have a giant price range, so that's going to be a big factor.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:34 PM

87 posts, read 409,192 times
Thumbs up Thanks everyone

Good info everyone thank so much. We live in an older home in PA now- built in the 60's- so I am open to older homes. I really do like an unplanned feel to the neighborhood. Where I lived in CA the neighborhoods had homes right on top of each other and they were popping up on every square inch of available land. I am glad to be away from that and started to fear that was all there was outside Austin- good to know there are options

Anyways, my price range tops out at maybe 275? Not sure what the market here is going to do so we are looking to get a cheaper house when we move so we can have lower mortgage. Oh and if we do move there we'll certainly get a good realtor and come check it out first...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin