Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,229 times

Advertisements

hello,
i am considering to build a new home right behind an exemplary elementary school (there is NO other lot available for the floor plan i need except for this lot which is located next to the storm drain of the school)
the problems i can see so far are:
-high traffic because it is too close to school (even the house will be on a small street w/ no outlet)
the potential noise from the school?
-next to the storm drain (which is enclosed by an iron fence - the fence of future home will block the view of this storm drain)

IS it very difficult to resell in the future? any other issues i should be considering?

wonder anyone out there can share your view/experience of having a home so close a school or knowing someone owning such home?

I need to make decision soon so please help me w/ your advice.

thank you very much for your input/ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 AM

183 posts, read 686,464 times
I personally would never buy a house that close to a school, exemplary or not. It obviously doesn't bother some people because a lot of people live close to schools. I would make sure that you get good deal if you decide to buy it because chances are that when you sell you'll have to list at a price well below others with more desirable lots.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:42 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Location, location, location.

I don't think I would buy it. The traffic alone would drive me insane.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 6,229 times
i have 3 young kids and plan to have 1 more so we want to stay some place near to school for a long time. however, maybe it would be too close for comfort ( That's why we are kinda torn here.

what would be a really good deal for such a home if the builder is planning its exit from the neighborhood?

i heard that for a spec home one can negotiate to get the final price even up to 20% reduction. and for building a new one from start one can negotiate to get the final price even up to 17% reduction. i won't have a buyer representative

what the best way to push for these negotiations.. thanks so much everyone..

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,830 times
I would be more concerned by the storm drain!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
How close is the house to the school playground or playing fields? The laughter of children at play is music to some, and horrendous noise to others. Is there a chance that the school grounds will become a teenage hangout at night? Does the open fields make an easy entry route for break ins?

These are questions I would be asking myself before I considered a lot backing onto a school.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
I live a street down from an elementary school, and on nights that there are programs & events, etc the parking and traffic is horrendous. It makes it all the way to my street. The upside is that we can easily walk to these events (we have children at the school) and we enjoy walking our children to school daily (no waiting and idling in the drop off line).

Old 08-07-2008, 08:24 AM

947 posts, read 3,139,770 times
I live behind a middle school and down the street from a elementary school. Yes - people cut through my neighborhood to drop their kids off at school in the morning and afternoon and we have to be really careful when pulling out of our driveway at those times. It's crazy how people drive just to drop off their kids at school.

When there are programs and events we don't have the parking on our street. There is plenty of street parking in front of the school and on the sides so we don't have that problem.

When school is out it's out and there is no traffic. Thanksgiving break, winter break, summer, various holidays.

I personally like living behind the middle school. When school is out it's funny, the kids can't leave fast enough. The field behind our house is huge so it's almost like living behind a park. It's nice to see people walking the track and riding their bikes in the evening. I also like the fact that I don't have a house directly behind me.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:39 AM

17 posts, read 47,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesearch01 View Post
i have 3 young kids and plan to have 1 more so we want to stay some place near to school for a long time. however, maybe it would be too close for comfort ( That's why we are kinda torn here.

what would be a really good deal for such a home if the builder is planning its exit from the neighborhood?

i heard that for a spec home one can negotiate to get the final price even up to 20% reduction. and for building a new one from start one can negotiate to get the final price even up to 17% reduction. i won't have a buyer representative

what the best way to push for these negotiations.. thanks so much everyone..
Can you get a buyer's rep? Not having a buyer's representative for such a big purchase would worry me more than having a school near. We lived very near a elementary school growing up. I loved walking to school and my mother could watch us there. And I don't remember any traffic problems (though in the last 30 years maybe traffic patterns have changed)

Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,469 times
You should express your concerns and see what kind of deal you can get on the lot. If they are closing out the neighborhood, you should be able to negotiate a nice deal. Spec homes are the best way to get your home on "sale", but it is also possible to negotiate in blinds, showers, countertops, and much more on to-be-builts. You need to go to all of the close neighborhoods and builders to see what they are offering. Go back to the builder you want and tell them what you expect. You would be suprised. That is what a good real estate agent would do for you.

Also being behind a school is not really a negative - especially if it is a family home. Many like to add a back gate and go straight to the track or school park. When you are ready to resell your home, you may even advertise that it backs up to the elementary.

I agree that the drainage ditch might be a bigger issue. Some drainage ditches are not huge eyesores, but others can really bring down your property value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: