Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,264,209 times

Advertisements

Sunday night on the Weather Channel's "It Could Happen Tomorrow Series" they are going to focus on the threat of wildfires in western Travis County. 8:30 p.m.

Here's the link to the article in the Austin Business Journal about it:

www. bizjournals. com/austin/stories/2007/01/22/daily44.html?f=et51&hbx=e_du
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 02:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,029,351 times
Ohhh I have actually been meaning to look into this issue, since I saw something on the news about it. Some sort of sensational advertisement about "The Big Blaze" or similar tagline...

Is this a real concern?

In WA they had us living in fear of "The Big One" - the earthquake that the area is due for, that could basically level the whole place.

I suppose every state needs their version of "The Big One"!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:52 PM

44 posts, read 169,601 times
Default It's true about "The Big One"

Not only did they have us looking out for "The Big One" earthquake, but I lived in the Puyallup River Valley where all of the lahar mud and ash was to flow once Mt. Rainier erupted.

If you are looking to buy my house, please forget that you ever read my last sentence.

-Dan

Old 01-28-2007, 02:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,945,838 times
Cool, thanks for the heads-up Gigi, I saw this just in time. I'll definitely watch that.

I've lived in some very high-fire-danger parts of Austin and am amazed that they haven't been incinerated yet. It's just a matter of time before the Westlake area goes up in flames. I've owned country property and burned fresh-cut GREEN juniper (AKA "cedar") and it EXPLODES into flame. And the Westlake/Rollingwood area is thick with junipers. Extend that out into the endless suburbs scattered among the thick stands of juniper on steep slopes, it's a prescription for certain disaster.

IT COULD HAPPEN TOMORROW! As they say...

Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM

675 posts, read 1,899,210 times
This thread is interesting to read with all the recent developments..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: