Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:38 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I am not a realtor but have live in Austin for 20+ years, currently in Allandale. Out of those you listed, I find Mesa Park the most interesting.
Nice neighborhood park, quiet and really convenient to everything. We have been looking at houses there and though many need updating, I think the location can't be beat for the price.
This is my opinion of the Anderson Mill area (the area bounded by 620/Anderson Mill/& 183). It's hemmed in by homes that are 400K & up & retail. Lots of parks, good & improving schools, closer into town than where most are telling you to look, & imo still a good value.

Better schools & better area (imo) than Mesa Park. The downside is that many of the homes need updating & there are quite a few apartment complexes in the area.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH8506 View Post
Just responding to some of the comments from above- That is somewhat depressing about the Barrington Oaks area, the rental and drug problem you are speaking of, although I will say we walk the area quit often and I think you are talking about Parliment street area with all the rentals?? You can tell just by looking at the difference. I will say i have seen some decent homes that are in pretty good parts of Barringon Oaks for 199k-210k.

Last thing here....from the point of future re-sale value, I am talking 25 years out here, which area seems like the best option?? Thanks.
I am exactly talking about Parliament St. Yes, there are some more decent homes back in Barrington. I wouldn't say there's some ghastly drug problem, but it's pretty obvious where the low-rent duplex, townhomes are, and there are rumors...so... ?

My opinion on far future resale is that Milwood will either look more run-down or everyone will move in there b/c it will be "close-in" by then and will have fixed up the houses. They weren't built all that great to begin with though. I'd buy more established - like the better parts of Barrington Oaks - brick homes with big trees and more custom-looking (even if it is 1970's custom) than burb-looking (like Milwood).

Old 08-10-2008, 03:42 AM

14 posts, read 39,574 times
What about new housing tracks? My husband and I are looking to move from CA, to Austin...but have no idea where to look. We are looking for homes from 2-350k. What are the differences between North Austin & South Austin?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
For new developments in your price range, the main differences between north and south would be what they're close to. Decide what's important to you (good schools, close to the lake, to downtown, to employers, to new shopping, etc.) and go from there.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Also, South is more Hill Country, north is more Blackland Prairie, but it's a gradual shift and there's quite a bit of crossover in the middle there.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM

THL, I wanted to say northwest (still Hill Country-ish) and southwest but didn't want to start the whole "what about east" discussion

Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Yeah, I can see you wanting to avoid that whole mess starting up again.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 PM

14 posts, read 39,574 times
Ha! You guys are funny. I am only somewhat interested in schools right now. I don't have any kids, and only have loose plans in the future. I like being near the city, but wouldn't like to live directly in it. If that makes sense.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM

Ok, so new neighborhood with homes between 200-350k near the city but not in it.

One that you might keep an eye on is Caballo Ranch in east Cedar Park. Its new and in a very nice, hilly location. D.R. Horton will build in there, which will keep it affordable, but they've built some nice homes in Avery Ranch and if they do their higher end homes in there it should be OK. They're also good about building nice amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin