Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 29,224 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating our family to the Austin area. We have heard wonderful things about Austin and everything we have researched online is appealing.

We currently live in the Portland, Oregon area and there are many things we love about Portland, but we are looking for more sun! Austin appears to have a stong job market (relatively speaking considering the economy), good schools, wonderful weather and affordable housing. These are all things we can and have researched. So here are a couple of questions that we need some local perspective on.

1. Where is the highest concentration of LDS or Mormon people in Austin?

2. We have 4 young children and want to live in an area where there are lots of families, where do you recommend?

3. What High School has the most LDS Students?

4. The areas that we have really focused on are Lakeway, Cedar Park, Steiners Ranch and Round Rock....any thoughts on any of these areas?

We have lived in Oregon our entire lives and this would be a big change for our family, but we have felt very good about this possibility thus far. Please, any help or information you could share would be most helpful. Specifically any additional information regarding more detail around the LDS population in the Austin area.

Thanks for taking the time to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I know there's an LDS branch in Taylor (not terribly far from RR). The other ones are in Austin itself, I was told.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinn View Post
4. The areas that we have really focused on are Lakeway, Cedar Park, Steiners Ranch and Round Rock....any thoughts on any of these areas?
My street has an LDS family. I can ask the husband if he has any advice, and if he has an email address to share, and I can PM it.

I was recently in SLC for my Grandma's funeral, and was with the LDS side of my family (dad's side) and I can say there are not concentration's of LDS here, and in Portland, I suspect it is similar.

On the other hand, I am not practicing, but can say that on my street, including my spouse, there are at least 15 stay at home parents, including a couple of dads. Having grown up LDS, I can say it is a similar experience for the kids in terms of discipline, focus, tutoring, just without the Ward activities.

I guess what I mean is Family Home Evening can be in any city you live, but it is nice that your kids' peer group will be reasonably behaved, and educated at level much better than other states. You just have to decide if a majority non LDS influence will still meet your desires for your family.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 AM

Default Thank you for responding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
My street has an LDS family. I can ask the husband if he has any advice, and if he has an email address to share, and I can PM it.

I was recently in SLC for my Grandma's funeral, and was with the LDS side of my family (dad's side) and I can say there are not concentration's of LDS here, and in Portland, I suspect it is similar.

On the other hand, I am not practicing, but can say that on my street, including my spouse, there are at least 15 stay at home parents, including a couple of dads. Having grown up LDS, I can say it is a similar experience for the kids in terms of discipline, focus, tutoring, just without the Ward activities.

I guess what I mean is Family Home Evening can be in any city you live, but it is nice that your kids' peer group will be reasonably behaved, and educated at level much better than other states. You just have to decide if a majority non LDS influence will still meet your desires for your family.

****I'm new to using this forum to post and read posts, so I hope I'm responding in the appropriate way. Thank you so much for the above response. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Anyone else have any thoughts regarding my specific questions?

Thanks in advance and thank you to the reply quoted above.*****

Old 03-21-2009, 03:31 AM

198 posts, read 500,445 times
My son's wife is LDS, as is their daughter & "one to be". They live in Round Rock and we know many of their friends, quite lovely, non-judgmental and the kids are great - they're kids and full of energy and fun!
DM me and I can get you in touch with my DIL and she'd be happy to provide the answers to your questions.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
My sister in law is LDS, but lives in Katy, outside of Houston. That's the only reason I know of the one in Taylor.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
I'm originally from Round Rock Texas (right outside of Austin) and they have many LDS families.

There are no temples in Round Rock, or Austin for that matter, but there is one in San Antonio (which is a little over an hour away). There are 4 stakes in the Austin area though (one in Kyle, Austin, Round Rock, and Oak Hill).

Round Rock is an area with a ton of families, family events, and a very community like feel. It's a GREAT place to raise children.

If you want more info on Round Rock, or have any questions, feel free to message me!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
What is LDS?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
There is a Mormon Church on Convict Hill 78749 area code. Is that any help?

Old 03-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
What is LDS?
LDS stands for Latter Day Saint, or in other words we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We are often referred to as Mormons. LDS is just an abrieviated way to state what church we are members of.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin