U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM

15,901 posts, read 20,798,401 times
My pet peeves are "on line" (I keep looking for the line drawn on the ground we must be standing on) and "needs washed (or whatever is needed)" instead of "needs to be washed". The latter is truly like nails on a chalkboard to the point of making me want to smack someone, probably an English teacher who didn't correct this lazy habit.

That being said, I wouldn't take Mopac the whole way to get to Dell from Barton Hills. (Used to live there.) If you take Lamar north across the river, once you get past downtown/UT you'd be going against the traffic and could cut over to IH35.

Or take Lamar all the way up to Parmer and go whichever direction you needed to from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM

2,328 posts, read 4,921,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
I hear you. I have this Web site of common English errors bookmarked. Amazingly, I needed to reference it recently during a friendly grammar dispute with my son's elementary school teacher. Apparently, she never heard of the verb "affect", i.e., she thought "effect" was both the noun/verb.

Common Errors in English

Sorry to get off the topic.
Wow, for a teacher not to know this is downright atrocious. Back in elementary school, my English teacher(an old nun) was covering "Hyper- bowl-ees"(accent on the bowl part). When I told my mom what we had learned that day, she didn't know what the hell I was talking about...Once she asked me to explain what I meant, she of course realized that my teacher had amazingly mispronounced the word. Well, she was up at that school in a flash. Embarrassed the hell out of me but I'm thankful she was looking out for my education.

She was mad as hell

Anyway, don't forget about the 130 toll road on the far east of the city. It isn't cheap but it spits you out up near RR. Might open up some other possibilities. Free-wheelin' on that sucker

For now

Old 08-14-2008, 04:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,246,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lol..my pet peeve is Bur-nette instead of Burn-it (Burnet Road)
Haha...mine is "PER-din-al-ez"...I know it's the local pronounciation, but I just can't say it that way. It should be spoken as it's spelled: Pedernales. Saying a word (like Burnet) a different way like you show above is more acceptable (that's ACCEPTABLE not EXCEPTABLE) than transposing letters to make a totally different word. I'm sure some old rancher started calling the river "PER-denales" years and years ago, and we have all fallen in line like sheep and mispronounced it. I mean what if people said "Bun-Ret" instead Burnet. That makes it a totally different word.

Actually, I wonder what the real story is about the Pedernales pronounciation?

Ok...so back on topic...yes, didn't think of SH130...OP might look somewhere along that road or within easy on/off of that road b/c that would be a fairly quick drive from South to North (or visa versa).

Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM

365 posts, read 1,005,467 times
Oooh...grammar.

Fighting. Rant. Urge.

I have to figure your speaking of the RR campus. Not having had to do this drive, but knowing the east side of town fairly well after being here six months, I can suggest don't think using 290 to 183 to 35 up on the north side is a viable option. 183 on the east side of town is a complete mess. Gotta love a freeway with traffic lights. Traffic lights which are horribly configured, at that.

pbnj07, thanks for that site link...although I'm already a bit peeved that, in my quick perusal of the site's clarifications, cheap/inexpensive isn't listed.

I'll get over it. ;-)

While you'd think growing up reading instead of playing outside with friends would be an advantage in adult life, as it pertains to communication, I find I've become overly sensitive to poor, or merely non-existient, grammar/spelling abilities. Ah... Makes me the popularity-magnet at parties!

The fact many a moron likely has access to a PC or has had what little concept of spelling/grammar they grasped shot to hell thanks to text-messaging laziness, well....

Sigh. Now I feel it is imperative each post I make be examined at least five times for potential errors and mis-usage.

I know there is at least one mistake in here, somewhere.

Last edited by Mckellyb; 08-14-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
183 on the east side of town is a complete mess. Gotta love a freeway with traffic lights. Traffic lights which are horribly configured, at that.
Oh, I know. 360 W has the same situation. I'm afraid to criticize it for fear of a long-timer telling me to stop complaining and trying to change Austin...

No I'm not. It's an embarrassingly poor design. And dangerous and counter-productive.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 PM

Well, 183 was never intended to be a freeway, really, east of IH35, but a highway (and highways, when they go through communities, do have the occasional stop sign). I'm not telling you to stop complaining, but it might help the aggravation level if you didn't think of it as a freeway and thought of it as a highway. Different things.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM

70,661 posts, read 31,027,575 times
183 east of town is a mess. If they were going to make it into a freeway they should have done it all the way..not parts with other parts left with the lights.

If they didn't have enough money to do all of it they should have left it as it was..crowded but less dangerous.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, 183 was never intended to be a freeway, really, east of IH35, but a highway (and highways, when they go through communities, do have the occasional stop sign). I'm not telling you to stop complaining, but it might help the aggravation level if you didn't think of it as a freeway and thought of it as a highway. Different things.
No it won't help my level of aggravation but thank you for the consideration.

I do understand the difference between highways and freeways, thanks. My point is that the design TODAY is poor, dangerous and incredibly obsolete for the current traffic pattern. The communities that highways pass through are almost exclusively smaller towns or suburbs, not metro areas with 1.5 million. I just drove RT 59 to RT 79 from Texarkana to Austin and saw this quite a bit. Makes perfect sense in those types of towns. Austin not so much. I understand Austin grew very quickly and that much of what I complain about was designed during a different point in Austin's time-line. But I haven't seen any plans to remedy these oversights any time soon and that seems irresponsible.

It's like refusing to buy your kids new pants because you didn't expect them to grow so fast and so big, or you don't want to accept the fact they're not the cute little kids they once were

But seriously, to the OP, check out SH 130.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM

365 posts, read 1,005,467 times
THL, I know, it wasn't intended to be a freeway, however, it has been pressed into that use...kicking and screaming, from the looks of what's been done to it.

Woo-hoo! New lane stripes!!!!

Sigh.

Granted, there has been a population boom for what, 15 years, now? Research Blvd. was improved, as was I-35...at the incessant snickering of us Dallasites who were being lectured about how double-decking Central Expressway (I-75) was the only way to go....

Um, there's this thing called an ice storm....

183 was improved markedly all the way up to 290 on the north side, so there really isn't much of an excuse save for, "it'll do...until people start dying on it, routinely". Reminds me of 71 going out toward Dripping Springs...at least according to how the local news media portrays it.

"Tonight at 10, do you drive on Austin's DEATH ROAD without even knowing it?!"

Sorry, I have to go off on a short tangent. I promise to keep it short...and my apologies to the OP about this not being one bit about commuting from the south to the north. (FWIW, I'd love to buy a place in Buda, but the risk of having a 60+ minute commute is a bit too high.)

City folk and country folk are very different in their expectations of roads and road use. Country folk aren't freaked-out by a combine tooling along at 7 MPH...while occupying 1.3 lanes. City folk are accustomed to having .7 second following distances...while everyone is on the phone and/or swatting at kids in the back. I've lived in both, and can adapt at the drop of a pebble out of tire tread, no problem. However, most people don't even notice a different...a car is a car in any environment.

Daily interaction, at least initially, between these two groups is bad, and I'm not implying both of the above examples don't occasionally result in very nasty accidents...by those who should be very familiar with the environment. Putting people in environments which result in confusion often results in unpleasant results when it involved items with both significant mass and velocity.

Manor is a good example of close interaction of these two groups. It's like driving in a psychotic video game...at least for me, and I'm somewhat accutomed to stumbling-drunk Vegas tourists in a hurry to give even more money away in the 39 hours left they have in which to do it.

However, someone should, if nothing else, lecture the guy running the lane-striping machine out on the east side on how to draw broken lines for 'exit-only' lanes. The one NB on 183, for the MLK exit, is just atrocious. For those of us who pay attention to lane markings, it appears as if you're driving on the shoulder...which is what it was, until it was commandeered as an exit-ramp lane.... Traffic lights could use some attention, too. Having arrow-only turning on 183 is moronic. I understand it in some places...yo, Vegas, I'm talking about you...but there isn't a line-of-sight issue at Loyola, for example...at least not for me, and it's not like my borderline-classic S-class Benz has a high seating position, or anything. It's not particularly fleet-of-foot or a small target, either, but I'm fine with having to pay attention to oncoming traffic if it means I don't have to wait for three cycles of the lights.

Oooooh... Hold the phone.

I just realized the disaster an improvement like this is for all the city's traffic flow.

Never mind.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:08 PM

Well, you see all those improvements out northwest, and southwest, and at Ben White/IH35? While those were being done, east of Austin was being ignored, because it IS more rural than the areas mentioned (though it wasn't a few short years ago). With the exception of SH130, which was sold to us as a route for the semis to take around Austin, not as a means of transportation for the rest of us - it was supposed to get the semis off of IH35 so we could use it more safely. (Not that I bought that for a moment, of course, but enough people did.)

As long as the growth is in those directions (Cedar Park/Leander, Buda/Kyle, what's become of Bee Caves), that's where the available funds for road improvement will go.
However, apparently there's now a push to build a toll road to Manor. Oh, joy. More toll roads. Just what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin