Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 06:59 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,508 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Austin in Nov/December.

I work in finance, literally in ground zero of the mortgage crisis, securitization, fannie mae, freddie mae mess, so I have a rather pessimistic view of mortgage rates......especially jumbo loans. As a result, I think the downward pressure on higher price point homes will be significant. I also think the drastic drop in California homes will have a ripple effect on Austin.

So, I think what I am looking for will take at least a 10% hit over the next year. Convince me otherwise.

What am I looking for? Willing to spend around $800K -900K on a home. Willing to buy lower than that a do a gut reno.....actually prefer that. Either a 4 bedroom or 3 bedroom with a guest house. 2400 square feet min. NO McMansion, typical suburbanesque cookie cutter home, or front loaders. Central Austin only. Good public school for elementary. Not too hilly (have a daughter with severe motion sickness. IMHO, the areas that fit this definition seem to be the most likely to have downward pressure.

Realistically, what is selling. Everything that I seem interested in and put in my favorites folder has been sitting unsold for months. Go for it, convince me otherwise, or I think we will rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Not a realtor but I'll chime in anyway. Honestly, I think you should rent first. The only way to get to know the many neighborhoods is to rent and explore. That said, here are some neighborhoods to consider: Allendale, Rosedale, Brykerwoods, Pemberton. Personally, I love these neighborhoods and they are all central, just north of downtown. And if you're worried about appreciation, our house has gone up over $100K in value over the past three years (less than three actually).

Also, I agree on the not too hilly aspect. At first, I thought I wanted to live in this hills. Then I realized that walking and bike riding would be really, really difficult. Also, the huge, mature trees in these neighborhoods are just awesome, especially in the hot summer months!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 PM

Thanks Travelor-

We have very particular taste. A gut reno home is probably best for us and we'd want to rent during the reno. Usually hate how the custom builder flip homes. (not a fan of brown tile in kitchens or bathrooms....even if it is expensive travertine) The environmentalist in me won't let me buy a home where I'd have to rip out all the brand new tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
At your price range, sounds like it is NW Hills or Tarrytown. Maybe Pemberton, if you can spend 800K and then do a redo. Right now the market above $400,000 in Austin seems a bit frozen. But above 800K there is some movement.

Remember, our sky high property tax kept home prices more in line with income. No burger flippers in Austin bought half million dollar homes -- because you can't get a loan for the 9K property tax every year. So, there's no huge bubble here to deflate. Tarrytown does seem a little bubbly -- I don't know how those prices stay at that level.

Volume of sales has fallen but and prices are pressured but they aren't falling like other areas of the country. You will be able to bargin but I wouldn't expect fire sale prices any time soon.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
If you're an environmentalist, you might think about hiring a "green" builder and building your house from scratch. If I had $900K to spend on a house, that's what I would do. I would work with an architect and build a crazy house with hidden rooms, heh. You can also look into building a dome home (Timberline Geodesic Domes for examples). I think they're awesome.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
For domes there's also the monolithic dome home..located up near Dallas.

Imgage: For Sale: Beautiful Monolithic Dome Home in the Texas Hill Country

Old 08-15-2008, 02:11 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
You should buy a home only if you think it makes sense to do so for you and your family, not based on what a Realtor tells you.

If you think you can effectively predict and time the market such that you know that the homes that interest you will be cheaper in the future, and that interest rates won't be higher, then it might make more sense to you to wait.

Frankly, your accountant can answer the question for you better than a Realtor.

It sounds like Tarrytown would be your best choice.

Steve

Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM

139 posts, read 451,027 times
Here's another plug for Rosedale - my husband and I have bought 2 1930s homes and done gut renos on both. Today, the market, although slower, is still strong. Anytime you can do a reno for $100-$150/sf and get it appraised for $300/sf, those are the neighborhoods that can handle the downward pressure. I also think Rosedale's location is unbeatable. It has one of the highest "walkability" scores of any neighborhood in Austin.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Where is Rosedale?

As someone who is selling their place, I can appreciate the uncertainty of this market on both ends. Real estate agents wanting to list my place are all over the board on listing price I don't know what to believe. It makes you rather skeptical about this process.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
Real estate agents wanting to list my place are all over the board on listing price I don't know what to believe. It makes you rather skeptical about this process.
Make them explain to you how/where they got their price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: