U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM

13 posts, read 28,931 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of relocating to Round Rock from Southern California. We moved to socal 5 1/2 years ago from New Jersey. At first the rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, fires and yes, occasional scorpion, freaked us out. Now I wouldn't leave if we didn't have to find a less expensive place to live. You adapt, and learn to live with stuff. I am, however, freaked out about brown recluse. The only way I've been okay with black widows is they are not "hunters" and stay in their webs, and you can almost always spot black widow webs (they are everywhere outstide). Are brown recluse spiders a big problem in the Austin area? Non lethal scorpions are freaky, but not as scary as the brown recluse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 PM

3,741 posts, read 5,441,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miccikoz View Post
We are thinking of relocating to Round Rock from Southern California. We moved to socal 5 1/2 years ago from New Jersey. At first the rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, fires and yes, occasional scorpion, freaked us out. Now I wouldn't leave if we didn't have to find a less expensive place to live. You adapt, and learn to live with stuff. I am, however, freaked out about brown recluse. The only way I've been okay with black widows is they are not "hunters" and stay in their webs, and you can almost always spot black widow webs (they are everywhere outstide). Are brown recluse spiders a big problem in the Austin area? Non lethal scorpions are freaky, but not as scary as the brown recluse...
I am not sure you would call it a BIG problem, but they are there. I've known second hand of a person that was bitten and lost part of her leg because she didn't get treatment right away. I believed they lived out in the country.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,894,777 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. And when you realize that scorpions eat spiders, that may make the former much more welcome.

I know someone very well who was bitten by a brown recluse on her nose while she slept in Austin. Doctors said she was lucky she didn't go blind. Ultimately she just had to have plastic surgery to repair the nasty hole in her face. She didn't live out in the country, but she did live on lakefront property.

My neighbor was bitten on the shoulder and didn't suffer too badly. He lives "in the country."

Old 11-22-2008, 11:29 PM

65 posts, read 105,811 times
Quote:

I moved to RR in the last six months. You should be fine if you stay on top of your pest control. We've had a few scorpions, but no spiders, so far. (we do back onto a little greenbelt, which doesn't help.

But realistically you have to put these things in perspective. Millions of people live in Texas all their lives with no problem. You live in an earthquake zone.

Generally I find it's a fear of the unknown that is the problem. Once you encounter the problem and deal with it, the fear subsides.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 497 times
So how do they get up the tub or shower drain? I have watched one crawl out (well, there was one in our shower drain as I shrieked and jump back), and no vent above so almost certain no entry that way. We get perimeter defense extermination quarterly but this is really upsetting to our daughters, and at least unnerving to me. I've been stung (not at the house) and it's way worse than bee sting.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 PM

43,190 posts, read 47,049,205 times
Its vent at some point or it wouldn't drain every well. Most codes require a vent. But sewer pipes are never full of water really. Small pipes drain into much larger as they go down the line. It takes a blockage to back up and that is why .But at least here all drains including showers and tubs have traps full of water.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:40 PM
ITO

111 posts, read 105,497 times
My cat finds scorpions in the house for me, but in case she is taking the night off I have a black-light flash light for when I get up at night. The black light makes them glow very nicely and are easy to spot... as well as some very odd splash patters that nobody has owned up to.

Do an image search on: 'blacklight scorpion' and you will see what I mean.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 PM

16 posts, read 6,601 times
Moved to Austin in January, lived in a 3rd floor apartment unit. Never saw a single scorpion.

Moved to 1st floor unit in May (same apartment complex), found a dead one in carpet - unsure how it died (we had diametaceous earth sprinkled around boundaries of apartment, but not for reasons of killing scorpion, it was for infestation of different kind. That, or our cat killed it).

Saw a live one for first time on wall next to vent close to ceiling. This was the first time I knew of scorpions being able to climb on walls!

Move into our new house out in the country, and wife got stung by something twice on her belly while sleeping (our very first night at the new house too!) and she said it hurts really bad. I saw nothing. We initially thought it might be a spider. Had Bulwark rep come in and start service at our new house.

Then I myself got stung on my forearm (like wife said, it hurts really bad). We pulled sheets and searched everywhere, and found it crawling on bottom of bed, and got rid of it. It was a nice-sized bark scorpion.

Then saw a smaller one (between baby and adult size maybe) crawling on office wall, and got rid of that one too. This was back in August.

Haven't seen another scorpion since then, but based on our experiences, we can expect to see another one eventually.

That's my experience as a new resident in Austin

How did it feel as I was being stung? It felt extremely hot at the location where you're being stung. Like a lit cigarette being pressed against your skin. That's closest as to how I can describe the feeling.

Afterwards, I feel a faint outwards-radiating numbness/pain going on from where I was stung. The diameter I would say is roughly 1/2 or 3/4 the size of golf ball (the area where you feel "radiating" going on). By the time 24 hours pass, this sensation is gone.

I did feel a mild chest pressure about a half hour after being stung but it was very mild, faint and it passed in matter of a minute or two, and I've had worst pain than this in the past (heartburns, etc).

The location where I was stung didn't even itch or leave a scar.

Sufficient to say, one probably do not want to get stung by a scorpion (that goes without saying lol), but at no point did I feel like I was having some sort of health risk from being stung. Looking back, I'd rather get stung by a scorpion than by something like a brown recluse spider which can cause skin damage.

Last edited by cflannagan; 10-20-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 6,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflannagan View Post
This was the first time I knew of scorpions being able to climb on walls!
Just wait till you find one on the ceiling..........over your bed.

Get stung on a finger or toe and it can tingle for a week.

Lem

Old 11-03-2014, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 497 times
Default Exterminator

We have a contract for quarterly extermination service; we live semi-rural SW of town in Hays County. Exterminator says most things don't work on scorpions; the general route is to exterminate their food source - insects and other bugs - to keep population down. This past year our service used a new treatment, that kills over time, somehow affecting their systems. It worked very well and it gives good peace of mind to not screech every time we see a stray leaf or piece of string in the carpet. We rarely see them in cold season, but we still require flip-flops around the house at night during high season, i.e., when it's warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin