Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 12:19 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

Aren't teachers supposed to be teachers--not social engineers?

I suppose we parents should drop in for a visit with teachers and school officials, at their home, because how they live does affect their job!

Besides, these teachers didn't act like they "cared" with their attitude, pounding on the door, acting p'od because I didn't answer the door promptly--hey, I forgot they were coming today, had not confirmed any such visit, the visit was scheduled loosely for sometime this afternoon, about 12-6, you can't be expected to be at the ready to jerk open the door at the first knock, also, what about parent who work? why don't they schedule a visit during non-working hours, to show how much they care?

Its just a feel-good thing the school does, it serves no real purpose, just drop off some papers, meet the teacher, we have a "meet the teacher" night for that, I just think it puts some people at a disadvantage, like parents who work and can't be there, parents who don't live in a picture-perfect home,I know the purpose isn't to judge the kids, but that's an unfortunate outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
They don't do this in my RRISD school - but I wouldn't be put off by it. My kids would be bouncing off the walls excited about it, I bet... and if they don't come inside, who cares what your house looks like? Plus, I am sure teachers see it ALL ... all walks of life and types...

Given your negative opinion about it, OP, I can't tell if the teachers that came to the door were REALLY put off because you didn't answer right away, or were REALLY pounding on the door - or if that was your interpretation of something you didn't appreiciate and/or maybe they were feeling your negativity?

Anyway, I think it's neat/different/weird - I could take or leave it.... I highly doubt that the teachers were "sizing you up" ... teachers don't make a ton of money, we all know that... I doubt they live in grand estates with marble walls...

Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Sorry, but you are seeing it from a teacher's point of view. Parents are usually threatened by it
Just your opinion, so please don't make generalizations. We're parents and we loved/appreciated the visit. For crying out load, it took 5 minutes!

What's wrong with a 5-minute visit where you have a couple of teachers' undivided attention so you can ask specific questions?

Threatened? You sound a little paranoid.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM

77 posts, read 382,509 times
Old dinosaur reporting in here. Our elem teachers did home visits in the 1950s when I was growing up in Shreveport, LA. I loved being able to show my teachers my room and my dog and my piano. My mother got out the "good" stuff (Depression Glass -- before it became $$$ collectibles-- was just our best then) and served cake and coffee. FWIW, we lived in a blue collar working neighborhood and had very little money. I wore hand-me-downs from the cousins and the cake served was always just a plain 1-2-3-4 cake, sans icing (reserved for birthdays only) My second grade teacher even had her class to HER house! We were so excited! She served lemonade and tiny sandwiches. How proud we were to dress up and see where she lived! Of course, we were curious! But we loved our teachers back then in the Stone Age. The villages did indeed raise the children. ...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Another old dinosaur says: I remember my first grade teacher (Miss Maybelle Morehead) taking our class to her house for lemonade and cookies. She lived right across the street from the school in a lovely old white house with wonderful gardens (I remember she had wax leaf ligustrum and crabapple bushes, among other things). This clearly made a positive impression on me, because I remember it in some detail some 51 years later.

Decades later, when my eldest was in school at a private school, his 5th grade teacher had the class to her house for a formal dinner. She had to do it twice, because she divided the class of 12 into 2 groups, different nights. They loved it, and remember it fondly.

Having a teacher drop by on a specific evening to meet the parents one on one for five minutes and drop off some papers that it would be convenient to have before the first day of class doesn't sound threatening at all. I think it's a good idea. And as someone said, if you don't want to be bothered to meet your child's teacher for five minutes at your front door, don't answer it.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Yeah, eventually they'll go away. I think I remember that our school did that one year when I was a kid (mid 70's). I thought it was cool. It wouldn't bother me at all if they did that here. In fact, it may be something to suggest for this district as an improvement. I guess it could stress someone out who is always prepared for everything to be caught unprepared, but I bet the visitors really thought nothing of it. How many families actually thought to provide them a snack and bottled water or came to the door dressed to the nines and had a spotless house? Probably not too many. I have 4 teachers that live on my street. None of them live in marble castles. None of them are ever dressed up and I always see them in shorts, sweat pants, t shirts, ponytails...Only 1 of them is a neat freak and organizer maniac (she's my friend, so I can say that). The 2 next door to her aren't. She is always pulling weeds out of their yards and trimming their hedges when they aren't home (luckily, they appreciate it). So, I wouldn't worry about teachers judging anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin