Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM

6 posts, read 15,319 times

Advertisements

I am in the middle of my schooling as mentioned above. I intend on finishing my entire college career and moving on to hopefully a well paid job where at this point I can contribute a lot more to anywhere I go. Remember I am 21 don't hate because im not so sure of what I want to do with my life as far as a career goes. I do agree maybe at times I could be alittle reckless but never anything to harm anyone. I am young and I will only be young once im living my life!

As far as contributing to Austin,I have a wonderful down to earth family, My father is a hard working man, and me being the oldest of 5, I am only paving the road that they will be walking down. I am goin to set a good example and they will all follow and attribute to the well being of anywhere we end up.

I would love to finish my last 2 years of schooling at UT... It would be awesome.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,082 times
Take my advice from a person coming from an eastern (although southeastern) state...Texas and the east are like night and day. You may like it; but I wouldnt guarantee that

Old 09-03-2008, 01:43 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
"incredible nightlife"... yeah, if a bunch of college kids stumbling around drunk is your thing, have at it. Some of us have more tolerance for that kind of thing than others.

Since you're 21, that might still be fun. But it tends to get old once you're past 25 (for most of us anyway)

Old 09-03-2008, 06:05 PM

6 posts, read 15,319 times
Ha yeah that would be my crowd ATM. I cant wait to go down and visit. What has me the most interested is you all say everyone is extremely nice.

Being from New Jersey kindness isnt something you find everyday. Half the T-shirts on our board walk say "WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY.... NO GO THE F*CK HOME!" And yeah that pretty much what its like.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,457 times
Tyler, check this out!
The Best Cities For Singles - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://www.yahoo.com/s/948578 - broken link)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 32,583 times
Hey, i am twenty years old and i just moved to austin from california this summer. this summer has been crazy. just going to the lake every day, finding different swimming holes to visit, trying new restaurants, walking around downtown-basically it has been amazing... but because i have my own business i have not made a single friend yet. i think its really important to go to school or get a job because it is hard otherwise. i mean its not like you can go and meet a new best friend downtown in a club on 6th street ya know?

the kids downtown have been awesome. everyone is friendly. the shopping is great. the food is killer.

my family lives in circle c neighborhood which is like 12 minutes from downtown. coming from california i have had to realize that everything is further away. i mean if you want a soda or something you have to drive 6 minutes or so. or to run to the grocery store takes 10 minutes. but its nice because its DIFFERENT and you kind of feel like you are in the south. which i guess we are.

wow so much rambling just occurred... haha good luck

Old 09-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
Default consider these things first, dude

Hey, it's cool your family is interested in Austin. You're going to get a lot of pro-Austin feedback, and man, I think Austin is great, but get ready for some honesty...

Tell your family to read some CURRENT articles on Austin, TX. The job environment is terrible, and the city is experiencing a MAJOR downturn in the economy. LOTS of people are losing their jobs. Dell computers just closed their Round Rock plant (nix-ing 800 jobs) and that's just the beginning. Restaurants are having a tough time, the retail business isn't doing hot, either. Sure, it's got a university, and that's cool, and there's lots to do, but the current environment is like so many major cities experiencing a recession and sub-prime mortgage meltdown. Don't get what I'm saying? Mention it to your parents, they'll understand.

Don't get me wrong. Austin has some good points. And yes, it's hot (100 degrees can be tough, if you're not used to it), it's buggy, the traffic is crazy, but like I said, it does have some good points. All I'm saying is this...before your family moves to Austin, take a trip. Stay a couple weeks. Experience it before you take the plunge.

If you think the grass is greener, you might be disappointed. Just sayin'. Peace.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,448 times
Here's a current article:

Austin unemployment rate hits 4.4% - Austin Business Journal:

It says unemployment rose to 4.4%. (In the state of TX its 5% and nationally its 6%) Total # of jobs INCREASED since last year, mostly in government and the service industry, when nationally, total # of jobs is down. Not great but not "terrible."

Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 822 times
MG4S... I have lived in California for years and even Jersey for a while but then settled in Austin for a little while because I heard it was a fun place to live. Turns out I couldn't wait to move back to California. It's way too hot, traffic is terrible, nothing to do and a lot of the true Austinites didn't like transplants coming into their city. I wouldn't recommend moving to that city for nothing.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 AM

54 posts, read 149,138 times
Well thank you I AM gorgeous!(those of you saying 'girls are gorgeous' in Austin). No wonder I got a job offer in Texas! Jersey guy, did you come down yet? I am Cleveland born and bred and I said long ago Austin is nightand day compared to Cleveland and all the 'northern ' cities.. it doesnt have that terrible factory smell.. I have heard only wonderful things from my employer in Round Rock about the job market.. and 1350 to 1500 miles is not 'cross country'.. cross country move is Cleveland to Seattle (which my family did). Anyway I was surprised at the similar landscape to the north.. very green, but flat. Reminds me a lot of when I was in Fargo.. the heat is like a furnace and I WALKED aroundAustin in it in July!! Cleveland and Jersey's humid air is still far worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin