Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times

Advertisements

I checked out the WCAD's website for the first time today.

They are showing our property as 2,646 square feet when according the the appraiser and builder our property is 2,218 square feet.

Has anyone else run into this problem? How was it resolved? Do they send someone to our home to measure? or - Will they just ask to see a copy of our appraisal sketch?

Any input would be appreciated.
R~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM

29 posts, read 152,320 times
The deadline for appealing this year's taxes has passed. You'll have to see if you can get it corrected for next year's. I would just call or walk in to the appraiser's office and see what they tell you to do. They are very used to this type of question and the answer should be straight forward.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The builder usually goes from what they planned for the building to be. It doesn't always end up that way. The appraiser measures it, but you'll need to find out which way they measured it (inside the walls versus outside the walls, that kind of thing - it makes a surprising difference which way they did it).

And, yes, just call WCAD and ask them how to handle it. This isn't an unusual situation at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:07 AM

124 posts, read 576,041 times
That is the exact same thing that happened to me. They said I was 1864 sq feet and I am really 1702 sq. feet. I took the paperwork from the builder and they immediately changed my appraisal. It's gonna save me over $50 a month.

Oh, and it only took about 5 minutes in the appraisal office. They were really nice to me.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM

124 posts, read 576,041 times
One more thing. The appraisal people have a computer that has all builders floor plans and what the square footage is. They didn't actually even need my paperwork b/c they looked it up on their computer.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM

I contacted them and they told me to fax it over the appraisal dimensions and the builders info, so I'm doing that today. I wish I had checked the website 2 years ago but better late than never.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 46,350 times
Default Dissapointed

I've only lived in Leander for a year. I am very dissapointed with my experience with WCAD.

Before I talk about me, they appraised our neighbor's house at a 18% increase, when the Chief Appraiser said that the rate for Williamson county is 6%. In addition, our house is the same sq ft as our neighbor, but we got the 6%, but only after showing our purchase agreement.

I don't understand how they can appraise at such a high level and sleep at night. I was appalled to see our house appraised at 13,000 more than we paid for it two months after we moved in. I shouldnt have had to go and dispute it.

In addition, when disputing my case, before I showed him my purchase agreement, I tried to work it the right way as if I didnt have one. So I brought my own copies of lesser appraised values of the same sq. ft. in the same neighborhood. He even found some less than mine in his own computer system, but he wouldnt budge on any of those. I only got my way when I showed my purchase agreement.

My neighbor said he even tried to go with price/sq. ft. but his appraiser wouldnt budge either. My neighbor ended up not winning his dispute and is stuck with his 18% increase. Luckily he has Homestead exemption and has to deal with 10%, which is still too high.

Ok. I vented. Thanks for listening. I hope Im not screwed next year.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM

That stinks! Our appraisal value did go down this year but the taxes didn't. I'm hoping that since there is a error on the square footage that it will reduce my taxes.

Taxes are only going to go up from there since RR school district and ACC will be one in the same. I also read that since Dell's sales aren't going to well that taxes will be going up for that as well.

There are some new bond measures that will be coming upon the ballot for some additional schools so I'm just going to vote no for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: