Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times

Advertisements

My teenage daughter signed up for some sort of "audition" at a local talent agency. They seem very interested in making sure a parent comes along, even called yesterday to verify I'll be there, which has me wondering if there is going to be some sort of attempt to "sign up" with the agency, pay some sort of fee, etc.

I have no clue how that industry works. My daughter is just interested in acting and dancing and called from a radio ad to sign up.

Does anyone have any helpful experience doing this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

355 posts, read 1,374,067 times
If its like John Roberts Powers or something like that...the one i hear most of the time...its a total scam.

Ive done little bits of acting here and there and all she can really do if shes interested in the industry is keep an eye out on casting calls. thats the most legitimate way to do it. all the talent agencies require fees, etc. and they dont do anything. just scams.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
I don't have any experience in this area, but I do listen to the consumer advocacy talk show by Clark Howard, and he gets calls regarding these talent auditions/seminars all the time. He pretty much contends that they are universally scams, and will ask you for money. He also had some tips on how to legitimately start in a career of modeling or acting in commercials, but I can't remember what they were exactly... and I can't find it on his website at clarkhoward.com: Save more, spend less and avoid rip-offs ... but you might go there and call their consumer action hotline. They may know about the scam and can give you tips. Perhaps a BBB search may help too, but if you know about the BBB, you know it's not always to be trusted.

Did find this link (old, but maybe you can look up the company name):
Rip Off Report: Options Talent Group - formerly eModels ..up to the same old SCAM ripoff 50+ offices in USA & others worldwide Orlando *Pictures key players *EDitor's Comment

Old 09-05-2008, 12:58 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,208,516 times
Hey Steve, I remember someone posting a thing on this board somewhere about getting cast as an extra in Austin, and I saved the link because I thought it looked interesting (http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divi.../hotline/cast/) but it no longer works! You could search the site, however.

You might want to check out this link, as it looks pretty good:

Austin Film Jobs | Cast | Crew | Extras - How to Be in a Movie Made in Austin (http://austin.about.com/od/castcrewextras/Cast_Crew_Extras_How_to_Be_in_a_Movie_Made_in_Aust in.htm - broken link)

Maybe your daughter can thank me when she accepts her first Oscar!

"I'd like to thank God, my agent, and especially Readymade!"

Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM

101 posts, read 382,700 times
Hey Steve,

Crikey, you wouldn't want to be in the talent agent industry with that kind of rep would you? They make real estate agents look universally popular!

I know that you are way too smart to part with any cash to one of these outfits. I do, however, reccomend giving some to Zach Scotts for one of their programs (which start shortly). G has been to several now; they always have an end of semester production, and with the Teens there is, I believe, even more opportunity for stage time.

Good Luck.

Simon.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
Thanks for the responses and tips!

I also called the owner of Kids Acting and she said if they ask for money, don't pay. Real agencies get paid only when they send clients to an actual job. Real Hollywood agents and producers, she says, who are successful and actually are in need of talent, don't spend time coming to listen to a bunch of teenage respondants to a radio ad do "cold readings".

She had a lot more to say, but it's apparantly an interesting industry - getting aspiring actors, models, singers, and dancers to fork over money based on the encouragement and hope that the company collecting the money provides.

Nevertheless, I'll take her to the "audition" and we'll see what happens. I told her it will be a fun learning experience no matter what. I think kids need to learn how to not get ripped off. Maybe it's not a ripoff. We'll see. But at least we are not walking in clueless, which is the main thing I wanted to avoid.

Readymade - hope you are enjoying the new house. Sylvia says hi. Yes, you'll get Oscar props!
Simon - say hi to G and B for us! We'll check out Zach Scott.

Steve

Old 09-05-2008, 05:56 PM

412 posts, read 1,747,180 times
Yes, never trust an agency that ask for money before hand. Just let her do the audition it will be enlightening. I know more about modeling than acting auditions and what I know is that modeling is easy. Most you just have to send a photo, measurements, and a resume if available and there you are in the modeling industry. You don't even have to be skinny or fit. The measurements just let them know what type of modeling to place you in, or if the agency deals with one type of modeling than the measurements let them know if that is the right place for you. If it is not many times the agency will give you a referral. Pretty easy way to make money if you ask me.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,698,220 times
I have a 2 friends who took their daughters daughters down this road. The first thing to know is you have to come up with some LARGE amount of $ (7000 sticks in my head) to go to a "training/workshop type thing in NY. And then depending on who likes you or not you may get further in the process.
1 friend had a positive experience and is back in Austin and her daughter is getting a few jobs here and there and they learned alot
The other friend was not so lucky...$$$ wasted...apparently no one was interested in what her daughter had to offer.

I agree it would be an interesting and educational experience! Why not...it couldn't hurt to check it out. Just leave all your CC's and checkbook in the vault.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 PM

15,239 posts, read 35,440,091 times
I have a neighbor with a son who is very interested in acting and has been working each summer for the past several years with Zach Scott and with the Zilker Summer Musical (not sure on the official company name). He is building a nice little resume (he is about to start his freshman year and has been in a number of musicals/productions over the years), gets paid some (I think ~$600 for the summer musical), and is making great connections. His dad is a long-time real estate agent in SW Austin....y'all should talk .

Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM

125 posts, read 292,884 times
Default Cool information for locals

AustinFilmCasting : Austin (and SA) TX film cast/crew calls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin