Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,236 times

Advertisements

Hi!
Will anyone tell me what kind of snake this little one is? We found it in our backyard today, and we let it go... It was badly hurt after wraping herself around the plastic basket my children had left outside (who would have known something like that could be deadly to wildlife!!) and spending probably the whole night trying to free herself out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Identify snake, help.-yardsnake.jpg   Identify snake, help.-snake2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,044,349 times
King cobra.. or a crocodile.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Hmmm. I would have said a rat snake, but the head is sort of weird. Wait, I went and looked at my snake pictures and, yep, that's a rat snake.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
In the images, it looks like you freed the snake by cutting the hamper? If so, kudos to you man... not many would do that! +1

Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM

260 posts, read 904,432 times
That looks like a rat snake; one got in my house last summer so I know them very well now. Agressive suckers.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:17 PM

I've not found them to be particularly aggressive unless cornered, and even then they'll do their deadlevel best to get away, and vibrate their tail against something like leaves (or the metal side of a chicken coop) to try to scare you away by convincing you they're a rattlesnake. Never had one approach me directly - they'd rather go straight up the side of the coop to try to get away. Now, that vibrating thing, that works so well in the wild - not so well against monkeys with guns that are convinced you ARE a rattlesnake.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I say rat snake too. They are some of the "good" type snakes as they keep mice and rats away.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:51 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,236 times
Thank you all. We thought it was a rat snake too, and I guess we were right. Yes, we freed it by cutting the little basket, but do notice, it is a tiny snake and it was so tired or hurt or both... it hardly moved while my husband was carefully cutting the plastic around its body. I don't know what our reaction would have been with a full grown one. Yes, tree huggers here LOL. We try to respect and admire life as much as possible

Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM

260 posts, read 904,432 times
Quote:
I've not found them to be particularly aggressive unless cornered, and even then they'll do their deadlevel best to get away, and vibrate their tail against something like leaves (or the metal side of a chicken coop) to try to scare you away by convincing you they're a rattlesnake. Never had one approach me directly - they'd rather go straight up the side of the coop to try to get away. Now, that vibrating thing, that works so well in the wild - not so well against monkeys with guns that are convinced you ARE a rattlesnake.
The snake that came into my house was cornered by my 12 pound ****zu. So he was curled up, trying to rattle like a rattlesnake, and was in "strike" position. Not being from TX and being deathly afraid of snakes, I believed him. My brother in law came to assist with getting the snake and he climbed my door and curled up on top of the door, striking brother in law. After being pushed off the patio, he came back up- twice! This was a huge snake though; about 4 feet in length.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah, the ones that I've dealt with have been at least 4 feet. Somehow, though, they manage to get into the chicken coop, and then when startled, try to go out through the chicken wire or whatever crack they've found, but they've now got a lump or three of egg and can't get through. It's sort of hilarious.

They do do a pretty good rattlesnake imitation as a survival characteristic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: