Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,877 times

Advertisements

I live off of bluebonnet & S. Lamar and my front lawn is non-existent! 95% of it is dirt. No grass. It looks horrible and I want to fix it. I noticed that this is a common problem in my neighborhood. However, my neighbors across from me have a beautiful lawn so I know it’s possible.

I am renting the house so I don’t want to spend an insane amount of money. I don’t have any gardening experience at all. What can I do? I am looking for an easy and affordable option. I am also open to the idea of planting something else beside grass sods/seeds such as vines or groundcover. What could I plant instead of grass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 PM

673 posts, read 2,710,679 times
First, you need to aerate and fertilize your lawn. You can do this affordably. You can get a manual aerator like Turf Hound. You can get horse manure free from many farms. Yes, a lot of people don't like it because it has sprouts in it. But it did wonders on our sorry lawn. Just don't distribute it anywhere that you mind seeing sprouts.

For ground cover, Asian Jasmine has gone crazy in our yard. You'll probably want to buy a lot of smaller plants and spread them around, especially if you can dig far into your lawn.

Oh yes, and you will have to water the lawn. But water deeply - infrequently.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:05 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,032,713 times
I had exactly the same problem in January this year - the back yard of my rental home was totally bare dirt. It's now pretty lush green - all I did was RAKE RAKE RAKE to get all the stones off and break up the soil surface. I then used a 2-pronged hoe thing to break the surface some more, then raked it over again to make a fine-ish tilth.

Then got a load of dillo-dirt delivered, threw that around, then threw around a load of shade grass seed, then raked again. Finally, I scattered another load of seed for good measure - then raked gently. Did I mention you should rake?

Then watered religiously - a little every evening to keep it damp - but not too much or you make rivers that run the seed off.

Two weeks later - green! Two months later - thick lush grass! But the grass has died off a bit in the heat this summer - tho if you plant this fall it should last right thru the year.

Watering little and often is the key when the seed is germinating - 5 times a week at least. When it's grown you can water deeper and less often.

For other non-grass options, there is a thread somewhere on that...I'll look it up....

Who puts seed down in the fall?

Growing grass...

there's quite a few on the subject in the Garden forum

Last edited by southdown; 09-09-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,877 times
How much was the Dillo Dirt?

Thanks for the advice! I've been meaning to buy a rake. Now, I will have more motivation to buy one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I had exactly the same problem in January this year - the back yard of my rental home was totally bare dirt. It's now pretty lush green - all I did was RAKE RAKE RAKE to get all the stones off and break up the soil surface. I then used a 2-pronged hoe thing to break the surface some more, then raked it over again to make a fine-ish tilth.

Then got a load of dillo-dirt delivered, threw that around, then threw around a load of shade grass seed, then raked again. Finally, I scattered another load of seed for good measure - then raked gently. Did I mention you should rake?

Then watered religiously - a little every evening to keep it damp - but not too much or you make rivers that run the seed off.

Two weeks later - green! Two months later - thick lush grass! But the grass has died off a bit in the heat this summer - tho if you plant this fall it should last right thru the year.

Watering little and often is the key when the seed is germinating - 5 times a week at least. When it's grown you can water deeper and less often.

For other non-grass options, there is a thread somewhere on that...I'll look it up....

Who puts seed down in the fall?

Growing grass...

there's quite a few on the subject in the Garden forum

Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,032,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalina View Post
How much was the Dillo Dirt?

Thanks for the advice! I've been meaning to buy a rake. Now, I will have more motivation to buy one haha.
Can't remember....there's a list of vendors here - it might depend on distance, if it's bagged or a tipped load etc...

https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/pims/ind...ReportDDVendor

And not a grass or leaf rake - a big strong soil rake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin