Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 03:41 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
The climate is extremely liberal in Austin and a lot of the behaviors and attitudes of the young people (and some of the old ones!) is somewhat shocking to people from more conservative areas. They allow all kinds of wierdos to wander around on campus and attend classes - liberal admin won't/doesn't want to/can't do anything about them.....the young people I know who went off to school there were scared to death of them and cut a wide swath around them.
Sounds like a good learning experience to me. College is about more than classes. The world is a big place with all kinds of "weirdos". Some of them are even conservative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 03:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
The climate is extremely liberal in Austin and a lot of the behaviors and attitudes of the young people (and some of the old ones!) is somewhat shocking to people from more conservative areas. They allow all kinds of wierdos to wander around on campus and attend classes - liberal admin won't/doesn't want to/can't do anything about them.....the young people I know who went off to school there were scared to death of them and cut a wide swath around them.
Wow, this sounds like a parent from the 60's talking about UT! As one of those "weirdos" then, I can assure you that it's all part of the learning experience, and mostly it's kids that are trying to look "different" by all looking the same, and trying to be shocking. Of the "weirdos" I knew then, most of us turned out just fine, thank you very much (doctors, lawyers, businessmen and women . . . our younger selves would be shocked, shocked, I say!).

Seriously, college is, among other things, about learning about life other than in the nest. Just because someone looks, or thinks, differently doesn't make them a "weirdo". It just means that they think or look differently than you, and to them, you might be just as weird and "scary".

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,972 times
I am just relating the observations and experiences of my students who have gone to school there. Some of them survived, some didn't, but, yes, they all 'expanded their view of the world' while there. From other inside sources on the campus, I am aware of the mental cases and criminals that are there.....yes, they have a right to an education, too, but it's important for a very young, naive person away from home the first time to know that they exist in greater numbers on that campus than some places.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Depends on what you mean by "some places". There's a population of approximately 50,000 students at UT-Austin, and they are a diverse mix, coming from a variety of schools and countries and cultures - which is one of the benefits of an education at a school of that size and caliber. Understandably, there would be a greater number of EVERY kind of person there that in some other places. What size school do you teach at, and how diverse is its population?

Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 PM

47 posts, read 122,019 times
Thanks again for the replies. Id like to say my fears were eased but I feel guilty for moving there as there seems to be a general dislike for all the growth. I feel like getting a bumper sticker for my car that says "TEMPORARY tranplant. Apologies"

Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM

of course "transplant" would be spelled correctly on the sticker : )

Old 09-14-2008, 10:36 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLaughLove View Post
Thanks again for the replies. Id like to say my fears were eased but I feel guilty for moving there as there seems to be a general dislike for all the growth. I feel like getting a bumper sticker for my car that says "TEMPORARY tranplant. Apologies"
Well, there where always be people somewhere who don't like something. Don't apologize. Just live your life as you see fit and treat people well. It's still a free country right?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 AM

About my plates and such...do I have to switch everything over?? Im only going to be there for three months so it seems like a waste...is it a rule?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
^^^ 30 days if you're establishing a permanent residence in Texas (sign a lease). As long as you maintain NM residency, you should be fine. Advise your auto insurance company of your transfer and make sure you have a valid insurance card that covers you within the state of Texas. Authorities here will tow your vehicle on the spot without identifiable coverage.

PS: You also should make sure the your address listed in the NM DOT system for your tags match the one on your drivers license.

Last edited by First24; 09-15-2008 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Authorities here will tow your vehicle on the spot without identifiable coverage.
News to me! When I've been caught without my card (due to not getting the new card into the vehicle - duh!), they've written a hefty ticket, but it can be gotten rid of by simply showing up within 10 days with evidence that you had insurance. I've heard of others having the same experience.

It's not cheap, but I've never heard of a car being towed for failure to show proof of insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin