U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 AM

103 posts, read 176,991 times
Default No NBC, no loss for us

I, too, was surprised at how much we don't miss NBC. There are only 2 shows that we watch. I hooked up my laptop to the TV and decided I like watching those 2 shows via the internet anyway. I always recorded these shows before as there are others we like more on different stations. Now I don't even have to fast forward through commercials as there are only 23-30 sec commercials online.

I found that we've been watching other programs from different channels this way as well. If the networks keep improving their internet videos, I may find myself not paying anyone for cable, satellite, or anything. That would be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 AM

869 posts, read 1,887,812 times
So...it's back on now...

Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM

8,627 posts, read 17,409,801 times
Who flinched in the game of chicken?

Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 AM

5,235 posts, read 7,118,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el duderino View Post
Does anyone have Dish Network? I'm not a huge sports nut, so I'm wondering if that's a better option than Direct TV. I've heard their HD DVR is awesome.
I used to have Directv when my ex and I first got rid of cable. Well OF COURSE she got the house with the Dish, so when I moved I got Dish Network. I enjoy Dish better than Direct. My wife and I haven't gone HD yet. Picture is fine on our 42". And I don't need any of the DVR stuff. I've never had any trouble with Dish. Somebody had a comment about losing signal during bad weather, I've had that happen with both dishes.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM

8,627 posts, read 17,409,801 times
I have not had Direct TV and ditched TW years ago, so it is hard to compare, but the Dish DVR is awesome.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 AM

2,955 posts, read 4,838,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffari-al-texani View Post
So...it's back on now...
Is it?
The time warner site doesn't have any new info about it...

Old 10-29-2008, 09:08 AM

1,894 posts, read 4,497,173 times
Yes, apparently KXAN is back on the air (although I haven't bothered to look). I read about it in the Statesman this morning. Here is KXAN's statement:

Time Warner Customer Information | KXAN.com

I have to say that I never missed NBC the whole time it was off the air.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 46,029 times
I was really wanting to switch to u-verse when we move next month. With the package we would save close to 100 a month. Has anyone had a good experience with them?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:52 AM

482 posts, read 1,089,472 times
I signed up with Uverse because the salesman told me how much better it would be. Well, after he left I read the fine print about only taping 2 HD shows at once in the whole house and you could not watch anything else anywhere in the house. This is not what I wanted.

I called the next day to cancel my new service. They were not scheduled to start service for a week so I thought this would be easy. Oh I was so wrong. I started my call at 9 am and after 2 hours and 15 people I was told I had to call back their systems were down. All 15 people wanted to convince me to stay. They told me to call back at 1 pm which I did and proceded to go through the horrible experience from the morning. I cut to the chase and asked for a supervisor. She was the 17th person I talked to and finally got it canceled. It only took me 2 1/2 hours! Never again will I sign up with att.

A friend of mine signed up for Uverse and when the installer came he was told the main? was too far from the house and he could only get one tuner meaning record only one show in whole house. He lives in a subdivison and didn't understand why this wasn't told to him earlier. He too had a long day of many calls to get the Uverse canceled.

Don't sign up for Uverse. It's not worth the hassle.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM

4,608 posts, read 4,906,475 times
KXAN returns to Time Warner Cable
By Staff | Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin