U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 AM

108 posts, read 184,546 times

Advertisements

I think Texans drive fast but are not rude! The rudest and worst drivers are in New Mexico! I lived there for 20 or so years. They will get out of their car and beat you with a bat if you even look at them.

I think with Austin people drive a little funny because the city is laid out a little weird. People tell me they've lived here for years and still don't know where they are going when they drive!

Overall, the nicest drivers anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 AM

6,873 posts, read 10,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I agree about the speed, but it still makes no sense when thinking about an oncoming car making a left-hand turn on an actual two-laned road. He might not be thinking about the shoulder becoming a lane. What's everyone in such a hurry for anyway? It never takes very long for the person in front of you to turn.

The one I really love is when I move over on the shoulder to let some fool tailgater pass me (Yes, it's legal. I believe we all know that now.) and about 100 feet up the highway, he turns. Impatient, rude, and ignorant!!
Going around always seemed logical to me, never dangerous. Of course, I've always driven in Texas, so I'm completely used to it. You do need to slow down and go around as if you are crossing an intersection (which you are, even if it's just a 2 way stop)... I think most people in TX are used to that procedure, and look carefully as they go around. While I understand how it could be seen as dangerous, there are 2 reasons I can think of that actually make it the more safe thing to do:

1) In the scenario indicated, where another car would turn left from the other direction.. first off, it would be extremely rare -- if someone is stopped in the turn lane in your direction, wouldn't that imply that there is through-traffic coming from the other direction? If there was a car from the other direction waiting to turn left, both parties would be turning. So the only dangerous scenario would be BOTH waiting to turn and BOTH having people passing them on their shoulder. However, you'd think at that point the left-turning people would know to look out for traffic in the other direction, as they are seeing it pass them on their right site.

2) When you are driving 50+ mph on a 2-lane highway, and you come upon a car stopped at an intersection with signal on waiting to turn, there are several "signs" that you are coming upon a stopped car in the middle of the road. First, it's at an intersection -- that makes sense, it's where you expect a car to stop if it can't turn left. Second, it's (hopefully) a blinker on, indicating it is trying to perform an action that may require a stop. Now, if you stack 3-4 cars behind it, things get MORE dangerous -- cars then are coming up at 50+ mph upon a car that's stopped in the middle of the road, NOT at an intersection, NOT with a blinker. That's much more dangerous for people not paying attention IMO.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM

108 posts, read 184,546 times
"Nope, the ones I hate the most are the CREEPERS that wait till your right there and all of a sudden turn out right in front of you like their tail is on fire then they CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!!! HELLO, you could not have waited 2 seconds for me to pass before you turned out?!?!?!?!?! But if your GOING to turn out like that right in front of cars you BETTER be movin butt on down the road and not grandma creeping."

This made me laugh! Very true!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM

786 posts, read 1,757,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEAUSTIN View Post
"Nope, the ones I hate the most are the CREEPERS that wait till your right there and all of a sudden turn out right in front of you like their tail is on fire then they CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!!! HELLO, you could not have waited 2 seconds for me to pass before you turned out?!?!?!?!?! But if your GOING to turn out like that right in front of cars you BETTER be movin butt on down the road and not grandma creeping."

This made me laugh! Very true!
This drives me crazy as well, but I find the rudest behavior is as follows.

You are at a busy intersection with lights and have a green for your direction of travel. Traffic is backed up right across the intersection so if you proceed into the intersection you will simply clog it up and prevent any people coming the other way from turning left while the traffic is stalled. So you politely wait on your side of the intersection for a space to clear on the other side so you can proceed. However, while you are doing that, people on the cross street now decide to turn right on the red light and force themselves into the 1/2 space that has been developing on the other side. You have the right of way but have decided not to cause gridlock, and they can't wait for their own light, but take advantage of you doing the right thing.

You're caught both ways. If you proceed into the intersection you are contributing to gridlock and risking being stuck in the intersection when the light turns red. If you wait, you could be there forever as cars from the cross street turn in front of you.

I have not seen this behavior yet in Austin, but back in Toronto it is normal and very frustrating.

If you

Old 09-22-2008, 05:01 PM

5,031 posts, read 8,027,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um. no maam you did NOT reference it was an "unofficial" site. Your EXACT words are "Texas DPS".

As for the pulling OVER on the shoulder to let someone pass - I've seen someone get a ticket for it. From a Texas DPS officer no less.

As for passing on the shoulder - HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!! People do this EVERYDAY on roads with more than 2 lanes!!! If I'm sitting in a left turn lane and a car opposite me is also waiting to turn left and I can not see around them to see if I have it totally clear - I DON'T TURN!!! The same holds true for ANYONE turning left on a 2-lane road when they have someone across from them doing the same. PAY ATTENTION! If the moron decides to "chance it" and turn left in front of oncoming traffic, well, they are NOT safe drivers themselves and the drivers that were passing on the shoulder are NOT to blame for their stupidity.

Those that go around and pass on a shoulder flying 90-to-nothing, well, their idiots anyway.

BTW, our neighborhood is off of a 2-lane blacktop w/ NO shoulders and a ditch on either side. I had some idiot teenager fly past me INTO the ditch and give us some nice hand gestures as I was sitting waiting to turn left. I WISH there was a shoulder for people to pass instead. There have been NUMEROUS wrecks on this road right at our neighborhood from people getting REAR ENDED sitting there. One was a neighbor that was right behind me and that one was a 3-car accident. Fortunately, I was not involved (whew) but she got smacked.

Nope, the ones I hate the most are the CREEPERS that wait till your right there and all of a sudden turn out right in front of you like their tail is on fire then they CREEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP!!! HELLO, you could not have waited 2 seconds for me to pass before you turned out?!?!?!?!?! But if your GOING to turn out like that right in front of cars you BETTER be movin butt on down the road and not grandma creeping.
I said I had made a mistake and corrected my first post about the test. I mentioned twice that I was wrong. What more can I do?

This is going nowhere. I'm not talking about a four-lane highway and turning left, passing, etc. I'm talking about a two-lane and the paved shoulder. We all have our own ideas of safe driving, so let's just leave it at that.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM

5,031 posts, read 8,027,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
As for the pulling OVER on the shoulder to let someone pass - I've seen someone get a ticket for it. From a Texas DPS officer no less.
Addendum: How do you know that? Did you stop and ask him why he was ticketing the guy or gal?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM

2,784 posts, read 5,704,705 times
OK, I have to ask - why oh why do drivers on the frontage road not slow down or allow traffic coming off the ramps to merge? I've almost wrecked twice this week trying to get over to the far right lane. Both intersections give me very little room to do that. The one at 183/360 southbound is the worst. People on the frontage road are either oblivious or actually try to cut you off. When I'm the driver on the frontage road, I make sure I'm aware of merging traffic and slow down to let them in if needed. Why is this such a difficult concept for people?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:10 AM

89 posts, read 276,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
OK, I have to ask - why oh why do drivers on the frontage road not slow down or allow traffic coming off the ramps to merge? I've almost wrecked twice this week trying to get over to the far right lane. Both intersections give me very little room to do that. The one at 183/360 southbound is the worst. People on the frontage road are either oblivious or actually try to cut you off. When I'm the driver on the frontage road, I make sure I'm aware of merging traffic and slow down to let them in if needed. Why is this such a difficult concept for people?
Because they drive with their ego's. They are big men (or women) in the vehicle, but get them out of it and their nothing.

I drive like everyone is trying to kill me and it's worked so far, never had an accident in 31 years of driving. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM

6,873 posts, read 10,858,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
That's a big design problem. In Dallas, they have yield signs for the traffic on the frontage road, but for some reason in Austin they do not. There are many intersections where you have to dangerously cut right across 3 or more lanes of traffic. Besides 183/360, I can think of:

Mopac exit for 2244/Rollingwood/Bee Caves to turn right
Mopac exit for 360 (south) to enter the Barton Creek Mall

Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,704,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
That's a big design problem. In Dallas, they have yield signs for the traffic on the frontage road, but for some reason in Austin they do not. There are many intersections where you have to dangerously cut right across 3 or more lanes of traffic. Besides 183/360, I can think of:

Mopac exit for 2244/Rollingwood/Bee Caves to turn right
Mopac exit for 360 (south) to enter the Barton Creek Mall
Yes, it's a major design flaw! The DOT responded to the query of why no Yield signs with the fact that each exiting lane has its own lane. Well, duh, that doesn't help when you need to move across 3 lanes to make a right turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin