U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 AM

2,262 posts, read 5,894,555 times

Advertisements

Plus, judging by the fact that I almost got in a major accident yesterday when the guy to the left of me did NOT yield even though he had a yield sign... they might just not work.

'Course he was on the phone, so I guess he should be forgiven for not paying attention to road signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:57 AM

18,649 posts, read 32,924,550 times
I hadn't noticed that the yield signs on the frontage road had gone away. I know we used to have them. Must take a better look next time.

Of course, they didn't mean that all lanes of the frontage road had to yield for freeway traffic to cut across two or three lanes, simply the first lane that the traffic exiting the freeway had to yield and everyone had to watch out for those who wanted to swoop across to the far right lane from the freeway. (These are likely the same ones who want to swoop across from the left (fast) lane of the freeway to their exit at the last minute.)

When I have to exit into a situation where I want to go someplace that requires me to turn right immediately after the exit, I will go around the block if necessary in order to do so safely. The only ones I grouse about are the ones who are in the lane that the freeway traffic is merging into who don't yield.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM

729 posts, read 1,650,153 times
What really bothers me is when trying to get on Mopaq or 183 and someone tries to cut in in front of you. I dont mind letting in but at least wave a "Thank You".

Old 10-07-2008, 01:14 PM

170 posts, read 504,406 times
I've driven all over this country, and not once have I encountered a heavy traffic area and thought, "Wow, these are some great drivers!" Everyone wants to say their city is home to the worst drivers as a way to vent their frustration. It's bad everywhere!

That said, Texas does have some peculiar road designs. I'm not a big fan of the three-foot interstate entrance ramps.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:51 PM

7,170 posts, read 11,283,406 times
Not that logic actually applies to any DOT anywhere I've ever lived, but, logic would dictate that the vehicle 'cutting across three lanes of traffic to make a turn' is the vehicle that yields. Same applies to the motorists who routinely plow into ongoing expressway traffic from an entrance ramp with no regard for the traffic that is already there going 60MPH! There's no free lunch!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

7,170 posts, read 11,283,406 times
[quote=readymade;5587447
'Course he was on the phone, so I guess he should be forgiven for not paying attention to road signs. [/quote]

Hey! Don't you know there is a state law(as printed on a warning sign) that states 'Observe warning signs'? Sounds like someone has a brother in the sign-making business.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:50 PM

2,262 posts, read 5,894,555 times
I've driven all over the country too, and Austin wins for worst driving.

It also wins for crazy traffic signs. I've never seen so many crazy traffic signs in my LIFE!

NOTE: These aren't in Austin, I just thought they were funny.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 PM

7,082 posts, read 14,742,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not that logic actually applies to any DOT anywhere I've ever lived, but, logic would dictate that the vehicle 'cutting across three lanes of traffic to make a turn' is the vehicle that yields. Same applies to the motorists who routinely plow into ongoing expressway traffic from an entrance ramp with no regard for the traffic that is already there going 60MPH! There's no free lunch!
And that is how it is right now in Austin; the person cutting across has to yield. Problem is, it's not a choice of the person to cut across 3 lanes of traffic -- when the highway exit says "2244/Bee Caves" or "360 Capitol of TX highway", you expect that you can exit and safely proceed to those roads. But when they REQUIRE you to get from the leftmost lane all the way across 3 or 4 lanes to the rightmost, while slowing from highway speeds to essentially a complete stop, in like 50 feet or so, that's a big design problem. And again, in Dallas they make the traffic on the access roads yield. After all, isn't through traffic supposed to be on the highway? The access road is not for through traffic and is supposed to be a lower speed; they should yield, IMO.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Status: "In the long hot stretch of summer" (set 3 days ago)

3,292 posts, read 8,237,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
And that is how it is right now in Austin; the person cutting across has to yield. Problem is, it's not a choice of the person to cut across 3 lanes of traffic -- when the highway exit says "2244/Bee Caves" or "360 Capitol of TX highway", you expect that you can exit and safely proceed to those roads. But when they REQUIRE you to get from the leftmost lane all the way across 3 or 4 lanes to the rightmost, while slowing from highway speeds to essentially a complete stop, in like 50 feet or so, that's a big design problem. And again, in Dallas they make the traffic on the access roads yield. After all, isn't through traffic supposed to be on the highway? The access road is not for through traffic and is supposed to be a lower speed; they should yield, IMO.
Amen. I was thinking about this this morning. You slow your speed as you get on the exit ramp, but the frontage road speed limit is 50, so if you're not doing at least 45, merging with the existing traffic is very difficult. But, at 45 or 50 MPH, you have to scoot very quickly across 3 lanes to make your turn. And the traffic on the frontage road doesn't give a hoot where you need to be, I guess they think you should come to a dead stop in the middle of the road if need be before getting in THEIR lane. It does not make good sense at all.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM

89 posts, read 345,306 times
Does anyone on this form work on their on vehicle? That question is not OT, but has something to do with a way you drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin