Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times

Advertisements

A few threads/articles on the topic around the WWW...

ROT Biker Austin drivers are rude | KXAN.com

Report: Austin Drivers Not so Good (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/071409_report_austin_drivers_not_so_good - broken link)

Rude drivers in Austin | Austin | Yelp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Here's a thought. Do a similar www search substituting the name of just about any city for "Austin" and see what you get.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here's a thought. Do a similar www search substituting the name of just about any city for "Austin" and see what you get.
Nailed it, THL. I searched Seattle. Not that I agree with the reviews, but you're right about the search.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 PM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've always said that even if you've never been in a certain town before, you can pretty much be accepted as a native anywhere just by complaining about how lousy the traffic, drivers, road conditions, water, politicians, weather, out-of-towners, and kids are in that town nowadays, especially compared to how they were in the "good old days" in that town that you've never been to before.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:42 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Nailed it, THL. I searched Seattle. Not that I agree with the reviews, but you're right about the search.
I tried it with Nashville (not so much), Boulder (not so much on driving, rude in other ways), Denver (so so), Dallas (very rude), Kansas City (not really a problem), Seattle (in some cases but also known as very polite drivers so it's split...even makes the Friendliest Cities to Drive In list...

Miami Drivers Rudest in America

I am very pro-Austin and it's a city I love very much and loved living in...but really, there are some bad things about Austin. Not many things wrong IMO but the things that are, well some folks have a really hard time hearing about them. Just sayin'.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM

151 posts, read 193,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
My biggest complaint is that I will have my blinker on and need to merge or exit and people will not let me in by either speeding up or slowing down. Wisconsin has the most polite drivers, but Dallas is better than Austin.
Why do you need people to let you in, if you’re exiting

Whenever one exit from the freeway onto a street, if your exit lane automatically merges in with the others, than THEY are suppose to yield to you.
If it’s a multi-lane exit and your lane forms another lane, than they don’t have to yield. If you are merging from the left and are
trying to get to the right lane to turn (within 50ft from the point that you merge from), than that turn is more than likely illegal.

You always merge onto the freeway/expressway with the flow of traffic (meaning if traffic is moving at 50mph than you merge on
at 50mph to prevent disrupting the flow of traffic). I’ve seen it numerous times when people merge on a freeway going 40mph when
the speed limit and others are going 60mph .

The right lane is considered the slow lane due to traffic merging on and off the freeway. As long as you’re going the speed limit or
near it (for those without fast cars) you shouldn’t have any problems when merging.

What I do when merging onto heavy traffic, I signal (so others will know I’m merging over) and wait for 5-secs for an opening or opportunity
to merge in. After those 5-secs, I just say the hell with it and force my way over as along as I’m not cutting in front of a big rig.
Cars do come equip with brakes and if one hits you…ohh well that’s what insurance and forgiveness programs are for.

At times I wish it was illegal to drive in the right lane of a multi-lane freeway, if you’re not exiting within the next 5 or 10 miles.

Last edited by Mr.Garcia; 06-17-2011 at 09:19 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 947,823 times
As both a motorcyclist and a driver, I am sick of the bad driving by others here. I am a native Texan and it appears that safety is the last thing on anyone's mind here. Crossing from the far left lane to make an exit, lack of using blinkers, running red lights, tailgating and speeding are just a few violations I've noticed. I've quit riding my scooter around San Marcos/Austin and will only ride it out in the Hill Country. Sad...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I tried it with Nashville (not so much), Boulder (not so much on driving, rude in other ways), Denver (so so), Dallas (very rude), Kansas City (not really a problem), Seattle (in some cases but also known as very polite drivers so it's split...even makes the Friendliest Cities to Drive In list...

I am very pro-Austin and it's a city I love very much and loved living in...but really, there are some bad things about Austin. Not many things wrong IMO but the things that are, well some folks have a really hard time hearing about them. Just sayin'.
There aren't too many things I don't like about Austin, but I don't have a hard time hearing about what others have to say. I'll speak up with my own opinion, and it might be different than someone else's, but that difference doesn't mean I'm having a hard time with something. As proof of your comments about Austin being a city with rude drivers, you posted links from sites on the www, such as Yelp, about driving in Austin. After a search, I noticed that THL made a good point and simply acknowledged it. That's all.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post

Interesting, I tried it with several of the same cities and got VERY different results from what you're describing here. Don't have time right this second (working hard to get ready to head out and show houses tomorrow), but when I have a minute, I'll post the links I found about the various cities above.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times
I moved here earlier this year but ended up having to move back. A big reason was because someone totaled my car. E. RIVERSIDE DRIVERS ARE TERRIBLE. Especially at the Longhorn Landing entrance, which is where the accident happened. There's too much traffic for people turning left into the apartment to make it without a traffic light, which there is none at the part. So I was just driving peacefully down the road to go to HEB (I had actually been avoiding using my car because I was afraid of an accident)...
and BAM! Someone comes flying and knocks me off the road at the side of my car. Someone trying to force their way in between cars to get into their apartment. Clearly a bad driver... their car was already dented. And you better believe they took off quick through that complex... no insurance, don't you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin