U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,551,203 times

Advertisements

Apparently that horrible train crash in California happened because the guy driving the train was texting. i.e. people are IDIOTS.

I was driving down Lamar the other day and the person in front of me was sort of swerving all over the place. I pulled up next to her and looked over. She was reading a magazine while driving (not directions or something. a magazine). I got the hell away from her.

I saw her a few minutes later further down the street and she was on the phone.

Austin, I love you. But driving around you is SCARY!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,407,714 times
My husband was listening to a trucker show on XM a few weeks ago and they were having truckers call in about the weird things they've seen people do while driving. Some of them were, 1. a man changing an infants diaper in the front seat while driving, baby was lying in the front seat passenger side unrestrained. 2. a woman had her shirt off breastfeeding her baby while driving.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM

134 posts, read 319,889 times
I am a new transplant from Seattle and I have not found anyone to be a rude or inconsiderate driver (so far); however, y'all do drive incredibly fast and incredibly close to my bumper. I stick to the right and just hope you eventually go around me.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 3,003,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_ly View Post
however, y'all do drive incredibly fast and incredibly close to my bumper. I stick to the right and just hope you eventually go around me.
That is not the locals ..they drive slow, those are the other transplants.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM

718 posts, read 1,626,328 times
I find a lot of times the worst drivers tend to be soccer moms in their vans or SUVs(I am a mom driving a van), who will not slow down and get in line behind you! Took the kids to school this morning so I decided to go get some breakfast. Driving up 35 to Georgetown, a fair amount of traffic, a mom with a small kid in the front seat of a Toyota van had to get between me and a Trans Am right in front of me. Never mind there was NO ONE behind me!

Then on the way home, traveling down a country road with a speed limit of 40 mph (always cops on the road too), a mom in her Tahoe wants to tailgate me!

Really, in general, people just need to start earlier and slow down! That would help a lot!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,385,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedawg View Post
Never in my life have I experienced drivers as bad and rude as in Austin. It seems almost every time I go anywhere I get honked at (usually other person's fault), tailgated, or almost hit. This one aspect of the city has me wanting to move away. A few quick statistics:

1. Austin has the worst traffic of any mid-sized city in the U.S.
2. Austin has per capita the most traffic accidents of any city in Texas

Can someone please explain this to me?

Also if you are one of these drivers *#@# you!
They're being nice to you then. Now if you get the middle finger, just point it right back at them. Then laugh it off. No worries. Drive on and smile.

I now these driving habits are not from Texans, they are the new one's that relocated from busy cities like LA & NY They come here with there pride and then make Texans look bad

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 AM

714 posts, read 802,526 times
I have lived in Austin for over 20 years so have seen first-hand the changes in driving styles. I think there are many reasons why it is now so aggressive but first, because there are just so many more drivers on the road and that seems to bring out the me-first attitude. I think all of the transplants have hastened things too. Seems to me too that age demographics have something to do with it too. Austin has a lot of youthful drivers and they often drive more recklessly. I rarely see anyone driving posted speed limits or any kind of enforcement so I compare it to playing a video game. You have to be an ever-vigilant artful dodger. I apologize to newcomers though as it wasn't always this way. Driving styles are just another indicator of our "I want it and I want it now" culture.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,385,145 times
orngkat - too many drivers is right. I enjoyed the roads @ 4.00 a gallon. I love to see what the roads will look like @ 5.00 a gallon. I hear rumors is soon to happen.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 AM

264 posts, read 650,500 times
If you're in the left lane and you're driving slower than people in the right lane, I will ride your bumper, go around you, flip you off, pull up in front of you, and then slam my brakes to get your attention! I absolutely despise people who think they own the roads by driving 20 mph slower than the flow of traffic in the passing (left) lane! You're a loser and deserve any harsh treatment people dish out to you for disregarding traffic laws. It's like some people just completely forget common courtesy and the rules of driving when they get on the road and/or don't care.

The most common drivers who do this, according to my experience is: big trucks who don't care because they're bigger than you, soccer moms in minivans, the "green" tree huggers driving their Priuses, Asians, transplants who are clueless, and the elderly. I am an equal opportunity road rager and I will get your attention if you're slowing the flow of traffic....and I drive a big truck so you will definitely notice me.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM

16,499 posts, read 22,978,962 times
As long as the person in the left lane is driving below the speed limit, I can agree (though I won't do any of the things you mention, AustinTexan, as that makes me as bad a driver as the person I'm trying to chastise, and perhaps a worse driver). However, as I've stated before, the fact that slower traffic is to drive in the right two lanes does NOT mean that the speed limit is suspended for the left lane, and people who pretend that it does are, in my opinion, the worst drivers out there, because they think that the traffic laws don't, or shouldn't, really apply to them.

I also drive a big truck, and I try to remember that that makes me MORE responsible for driving safely and avoiding road rage on my own part because I can do a lot more harm if I'm careless or let my temper get the better of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin