Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine088 View Post
I am not used to the tap water here, it really has a different taste to it. Do people here use filters? I have lived in Seattle, Portland and Philadelphia and I didn't mind the water there. However, here I have a hard time drinking it. Any recommendations, I am trying to avoid buying bottled water because I drink a lot of water and that adds up fast.
We use a filter in our refrigerator. The water here tastes a little swampy compared to what Im used to. I have used a faucet based PUR water filter and they work great too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Default Recycling Brita Water Filters

I just read that we can recycle Brita water filters by taking them to Whole Foods! They get turned into Preserve toothbrushes, razors and kitchen wares by the Recycline company. This is a new program, but I think it is up and running.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:15 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
I installed an undersink water filter from sears. It was only $50 and does a great job.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 AM

8 posts, read 28,384 times
$50 ain't too bad. Is this sears filter high quality? How about longevity?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
It seems fine. It was the highest rated by consumer reports.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 PM

321 posts, read 838,378 times
Here is the link for the city of Austin's water department.

Water Treatment

At these plants, raw water undergoes complete treatment including coagulation, sedimentation, filtration, and disinfection. Water quality is closely monitored in all phases of production and treatment.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-02-2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: Take up moderation issues via DM.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
What kind of filter was it? The one from Sears. I bought a PUR water filter, but it won't fit on my faucet, and I can't find an attachment-thing that fits it & my faucet ANYwhere (went to Lowes, Home Depot).

I've been reading more and more about how bad it is to drink out of plastic bottles. That chemicals leak into the water and raise our estrogen levels (causing menstrual issues, infertility, etc...). So, I'm trying to find an inexpensive alternative.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 AM

8 posts, read 28,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
What kind of filter was it? The one from Sears. I bought a PUR water filter, but it won't fit on my faucet, and I can't find an attachment-thing that fits it & my faucet ANYwhere (went to Lowes, Home Depot).

I've been reading more and more about how bad it is to drink out of plastic bottles. That chemicals leak into the water and raise our estrogen levels (causing menstrual issues, infertility, etc...). So, I'm trying to find an inexpensive alternative.
Yea, Bispephenol-A leeching is the big culprit in the bottle water. I do know that companies have taken steps to change the type of plastic being used to prevent this leeching phenom, but it's till too dangerous for me to dabble in.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM

22 posts, read 147,415 times
Get a whole house carbon filter installed on your main water line. It will remove chlorine, chloramines, tastes, odors, pesticides, organic materials, and a bunch of other stuff that makes the water taste nasty. In addition or in lieu of a whole house carbon filter, install a reverse osmosis system under the sink for 98% pure drinking water....ahhhhhhh! It's so clean, crisp, clear and refreshing. No more bottled water cost, waste or inconvenience of going to the store for cases of it.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,609 times
Right on CL Lady. We have well water with a drip Chlorinator into a tank, then a huge carbon filter, then a water softener and still 2 R.O systems for sinks. Our water is as good if not better then bottled.
Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin