U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 5,002 times

Advertisements

HELP!!! I am an black woman from oklahoma, finished my degree in psychology, single, and i have a two year old son. I'm deciding whether to move to Austin, tx or Atlanta, Ga. I've heard a lot of great things about both cities. The most important issues for me is to: have great empolyment opprotunities, great place to rasie my son (safe, great schools, family activities etc..) entertainment, and dating potential- I'm not stuck on race. I would appreciate helpful advice.

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,002 times
Well I posted the same question to the forum in Atlanta, and I received a lot of helpful advice- it seems that people in Atlanta are more friendly and helpful. I wonder if it would have been different it I didn't display my race for you all in Austin. Hopefully when I visit Austin it will be different and I'll base my decision then.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM

13 posts, read 29,942 times
I think you'd love Austin... I haven't moved there yet myself. (We have family there and visit often though.) My husband is moving out October and we'll be joining him by this Summer.

I have family in Atlanta (they've been there for 15 plus years) they LOVE it. I HATE it. And I'm totally not impressed with the schools my nieces are in.

It's a totally personal thing, you know? Opportunities will be there in both areas. Maybe visit?

I don't think the lack of responses had ANYTHING to do with race. Just a 'hard to compare' question in my mind.

If you have a more specific question like: is ____ a good school? I think you'll have more responses.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:37 PM

264 posts, read 651,019 times
What do you want us to say? There are about 10,000 threads specificly about moving to Austin, the schools, crime, things to do, the black population (single), etc. If you do a little research on this site, you'd be surprised at how much information you find, specifically the questions about "Atlanta or Austin?"

From what I've read, Atlanta has a larger black population and there are more "choices" there. Austin generally has less crime, better schools, and better traffic. Is there really anything else you need to know? I don't know which one is cheaper, it all depends on location. Once you visit the two, you'll have a better idea, I'm sure. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,768,266 times
I've lived in Atlanta since 1993 and now I'm moving to Austin. I can tell you good about both places -- and I can certainly give you some of the bad about Atlanta. Not sure what the bad would be about Austin. I guess property taxes are bad there (but no state income tax!).

Atlanta has plenty of job opportunities. It is a very black friendly city -- although I suspect you'd be welcomed as well in Austin. I know folks here in Atlanta that moved specifically because they heard that it was a Black Mecca. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I'd have to say that public schools in Atlanta are awful. You'd have to move way into the burbs to find a good school. If you live in the burbs, you'll have to put up with packed 6-7 lanes each way, stop and go, make you crazy, traffic. There is the MARTA train/bus system but it's lame. It's good for going to the airport or to the Braves game. Seriously lame.

In the summer the pollution is so bad. Smog is a big concern -- specially for little ones that want to play outside in the summer. You can google air quality atlanta and see that we have red and purple days where they say not to go outside for extended amounts of time and breathe the air. My 2 year old doesn't get it when I tell her no she can't play outside on her slide cause the air is bad.

This past winter we had a severe drought and it looked like we were going to have some major problems with our water supply. You can google that one too. Things are better now but it's still an issue.

Lastly, crime has spiked due to the bad economy. My particular intown neighborhood has really suffered this summer. Long term residents are moving because it's so bad. We'd already been trying to move prior to all the trouble but we feel like we're getting out just in time.

Feel free to contact me with specific questions about ATL.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM

1,035 posts, read 3,004,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indepthone View Post
Well I posted the same question to the forum in Atlanta, and I received a lot of helpful advice- it seems that people in Atlanta are more friendly and helpful...
The weather's been so nice, we're just all outside

Old 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 25,424 times
Responses are slow here unless the question asked really interests the people of the forum. I didn't get much feedback either when I posted as a Canadian moving to Austin. I don't think they're real keen on answering yet another "I'm moving to Austin" thread. But the mosquito and gardening threads are thriving

Best of luck finding the info you need. I can't add anything of value as I've only been here 5 days - sorry.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 AM

2,789 posts, read 5,713,912 times
Honestly, it's not that we're not friendly or trying to be helpful, but Evilyne has a point. There are so many requests on here every week for people trying to make a decision on whether or not to move to Austin. "Should I move to Austin" is a question only you can answer after you've done some research. We're pretty good about answering specific questions about an area or a school or a place of business.

I did a search on the keywords "moving to austin" and these threads came up. Hopefully this may help you somewhat.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=8237174

Oh, and race is NOT a factor here. As a matter of fact, that's one thing that bugs people the most is that we don't have "an African American community" or "a gay and lesbian community" or "a *insert group here" community". Really, the only group of people who probably have their own "community" are the Mexican Americans just because they represent about a third of the population. For the most part everyone just kind of blends in to wherever they are.

If you really want to get a feel for Austin, a visit would do so much more than anything we can tell you on here. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 PM

12 posts, read 18,582 times
Hi there. We really are friendly people in Ausin so don't feel discouraged by lack of comments. I have lived in Austin for 26 years and can honestly say I love it here. I suggest you plan a short trip here and check it out for yourself. If cost of living is a factor, you might check out what homes are renting/selling for here and in Georgia and consider your employment options between the two. Making the right move decision can also make the difference between happiness and misery. I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 6,351,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indepthone View Post
HELP!!! I am an black woman from oklahoma, finished my degree in psychology, single, and i have a two year old son. I'm deciding whether to move to Austin, tx or Atlanta, Ga. I've heard a lot of great things about both cities. The most important issues for me is to: have great empolyment opprotunities, great place to rasie my son (safe, great schools, family activities etc..) entertainment, and dating potential- I'm not stuck on race. I would appreciate helpful advice.

Thank you
I think you would get more responses if you had left out that you are black, not because we are racist but because it seems that you want information that only another black person can give. Once you add that, it becomes harder for me to answer because by including it, it makes it seems like you want a black specific answer, which I cant give.

If I had to guess, austin isnt as black friendly as Atlanta. A friend of mine moved to atlanta because the austin night life and social scene just wasnt a good fit for him. No hip hop, not enough black women to select from.

Someone mentioned being a canadian and not getting responses and I think the same thing applies. If you said you were from california, half the people would have that shared experience and could answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin