Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times

Advertisements

How do I find someone that scrapes popcorn ceilings? Please send me a message if you can recommend someone. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
Any painter would scrape it. There's a website called doneright.com that has people of almost every profession and their work is guaranteed.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
You might also want to check with Angie's List. The folks on there have been recommended by consumers.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
Depending on the age of your house you might want to have the popcorn tested for asbestos. My '75 house tested positive after sending a couples samples to a lab. I've read that the stuff was used into the late 70s and possibly early 80s and you cannot tell by looking at it. If you do have asbestos in your popcorn I would recommend covering it up with sheet rock rather than scraping it off - that way you basically seal away the material forever. Also don't believe contractors who say that wetting it down first prevents the spread of asbestos' microscopic fibers and make sure that if you do have contact with the stuff that you wear a P100 breather.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Depending on the age of your house you might want to have the popcorn tested for asbestos. My '75 house tested positive after sending a couples samples to a lab. I've read that the stuff was used into the late 70s and possibly early 80s and you cannot tell by looking at it. If you do have asbestos in your popcorn I would recommend covering it up with sheet rock rather than scraping it off - that way you basically seal away the material forever. Also don't believe contractors who say that wetting it down first prevents the spread of asbestos' microscopic fibers and make sure that if you do have contact with the stuff that you wear a P100 breather.
How would I find someone that specializes in asbestos removal?

Our vaulted ceiling would be okay with an added layer but not our other rooms.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,732,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
How would I find someone that specializes in asbestos removal?

Our vaulted ceiling would be okay with an added layer but not our other rooms.
I think to do it properly adopting whatever federal guidelines apply is big bucks, i.e. thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

First be sure that you actually have the stuff. These guys tested two samples for me for $40:

Western Analytical Laboratory - Asbestos Testing Lab

If you put up some of the thinner sheet rock it won't make much difference as to the height of your ceilings.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
An alternative to putting sheet rock over it is to just have it painted. My parents did this since they guy painting their interior offered to do the entire house for like $200 extra. It smoothed out the look of it a bit and it looks a ton better than regular popcorn.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:54 AM

45 posts, read 173,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
An alternative to putting sheet rock over it is to just have it painted. My parents did this since they guy painting their interior offered to do the entire house for like $200 extra. It smoothed out the look of it a bit and it looks a ton better than regular popcorn.
Just know that if you paint it and then later decide you want to remove it is even more difficult to remove. You can always check with a sheetrock/texture company to give you a price for removing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin