Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Again, its not really about politics. Its about fundamentals. You are now describing what you would like a neighbor to be, these are the things that are important to you. I simply have different priorities than you based on my life experiences and things of that nature.

That is to say, it seems we are disagreeing about what is fundamentally most important not that there are fundamental issues that are important when looking at communities to live in.

I really think everyone wants particular things out of a community whether they say it or not.
So, what is it you're not saying here? What specfically are you worried about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,952 times
Default texas conservative

I share your fiscal conservatism and somewhat liberal social stance, but I suspect most in Austin will be a bit too liberal for you - good luck here though. After all is said and done I voted McCain if that tells you anything, and I am a retired criminal defense attorney - go figure.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM

14 posts, read 56,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Kids act as a powerful catalyst for getting people together who might not otherwise come together. Kids cause it to happen in a more passive way, but once the ice is broken, relationships form.

We have always taken new neighbors a gift basket and introduced ourselves, probably because that’s what our parents always did, and I didn’t know people didn’t always do that until later in life.
I can see how people having kids the same age would create those kinds of relationships, but otherwise I think it would be a real coin toss as to whether you'd wind up living next to somebody you had anything in common with.

When I was growing up, we didn't have too many families living around us - plus, we lived near an Air Force base, so there were lots of people moving in and out.

As an adult, I've mostly lived in apartments, which tend to not lend themselves to "neighborliness," and again you have people moving in and out a lot. I do not and likely will never have kids, and can't imagine that I'd have much to talk about with people who do.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I am with Moonlady, what is exactly, that you are afraid you will find?

Are you gay? An atheist? Pagan? Austin is a big place, there's room for most everyone.

What is your worst-case scenerio?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
You didn't mention anything about kids and if there are any that are school age, you should be aware that creationism is getting more popular. For that reason alone, I would hesitate to recommend any place in Texas. However, that being said, Austin is the only habitable place in Texas in my humble opinion. I am a liberal and have been since the 60's. I find that the conservative politics weighs heavily on me. What people in Texas consider liberal, I would consider to the right of center.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,979 times
You will definitely like it here, I am 53, White, Democrat all the way through, because I feel their platform and what they stand for fits with my values and my way of thinking, more so than the Republicans. I am a small business owner, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, non Christian and of the Unitarian Faith. Sorry but I will have to disagree with the statement about people asking about what Religion you are, generally it just doesn't happen here. In the inner city you generally see Obama signs, in the suburbs you get mixes of Obama/McCain, and then in some suburbian neighborhoods generally McCain, just to give you a viewpoint from a political sign standpoint. Come to Austin and we'll leave the light on for ya.........

Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Go ahead, pick your county:

2008 Presidential General Election Results - Texas

Looking at some of those counties there we more than a few that had 90%+ for McCain. Goes to show you that Texas has great variability by geography.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Go ahead, pick your county:

2008 Presidential General Election Results - Texas

Looking at some of those counties there we more than a few that had 90%+ for McCain. Goes to show you that Texas has great variability by geography.
Every state has a couple of those type of extreme counties. The thing about those counties in Texas is that nobody lives in them. In fact, I'm willing to be that not most born and raised Texans ever been to them. Texas is conservative (for now) but not as conservative as Oklahoma, Mississippi, or Alabama. But the growing urban demographics may change Texas.

It doesn't look like Dallas, El Paso, or Travis county will go blue for a long time and Harris and Bexar county will follow the lead. Also to note, the number of blue counties increased and they are starting to slide farther to the north of the border.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,505 times
I am also Libertarian, and would consider moving to Austin just for the music alone; however, I suspect it would be too humid for me. Is this true? Also, what is San Antonio like for being socially conservative?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
It's gets hot more than it gets humid. It does get humid after a rain but for the most part we have a dry heat. 40% humidity doesn't bother me..80% I feel it. It really depends on where you are coming from.

I came here from Florida though where we watched humidity more than temp. In Florida the humidity was in the 90's almost every day. Even in the shade you were dripping wet. So I don't find Austin area humid at all. As you go south though towards Houston you start to feel it as the humidity starts to climb as you get closer to the coast.

Austin itself is more liberal than libertarian though but Texas liberal is not the same as California liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin