U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM

59 posts, read 111,031 times
Default Need moving help!

Hi! Im moving to Ausitn in about 10 days and Im looking around and noticed I have too much stuff! I was planning on loading up my car and thats was it, but now that im cleaning out the closets and storage i remembered what a pack rat I am. Does anyone know of any cheap methods to ship items? Im afraid of driving so far (leaving from So. CA) with a trailor on the back. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
10,948 posts, read 7,466,154 times
Have you checked into PODS? That is how I am probably going to move my stuff there because I am also afraid of dragging a trailer behind me.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Status: "Ain't no cure for the summertime blues!" (set 4 days ago)

2,682 posts, read 5,207,781 times
My niece moved here from Florida and what didn't fit in her Civic, she shipped Fed Ex Ground. She said it was cheaper than UPS. Obviously she left all her furniture behind, but she had about 23 boxes of household goods. She went directly to the Fed ex terminal to get the best price.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM

15,933 posts, read 20,950,994 times
When my son moved back here from NYC, he shipped all of his things via UPS. We checked into moving companies and that came in at about a third the cost of the other alternatives.

He shipped about 25 boxes. Since he lived in an apartment in NYC, he had the boxes picked up rather than taking them to the terminal. Then he and his cat boarded a plane and came on down.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I dont have enough stuff for one of those PODS b/c im selling my furniture, but it prob too much to all fit into my car. I did some research and the post office has a service called media mail where you can send books, dvd's, etc for really cheap, for 70 lbs it was only $23. So I will my books & cd's that way and then stuff as much as I can in my car and hope for the best!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 PM

787 posts, read 1,650,727 times
If you are still stuck and your car has a trailer hitch, U-Haul has a new type of small trailer called a sport trailer. It is like pulling an extra truck behind you. I pulled one from Toronto to Austin and I was really nervous about pulling a trailer. It was great on the highway and you could not even tell it was there. Very light and great on gas.

They can be hard to find. All the U-Haul people I had talked to in Toronto and Austin had never seen one before.

Its the way I would go if you HAVE to pull a trailer.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Did it fit a lot of stuff? It looks kind of small. The thing that scares me the most is that ill forget its there and make a turn or something and hit someone's vehicle. Ill look into those in my area, but im not sure if i have a trailor hitch or not. Ive had my car for over 3 years i should know this!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM

I just checked uhaul.com and its 500 to rent the sporty trailor. Thats a lot and it says it only has as much room as the bed of a pick-up truck. Oh well guess im back to stuffing my things into my little suv. Thanks Iceshots!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,650,727 times
Between the wagon and trailer we packed in quite a bit of stuff, mostly clothes. One thing that really helped is that we bought a lot of those vacuum bags for the clothes and packed them in those. We only had two suitcases that contained mostly shoes and other hard things. All of the personal belongings came with the movers, but by using the trailer we were able to bring enough to keep us going for three months in temporary accommodations.

$500 is high. For some reason we got a great deal coming out of Toronto and only paid $185 to cover a week.

Even though the trailer pulls great, you never forget its there.

If you have a lot of boxed stuff, they would not fill well in the trailer.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin