U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 PM

89 posts, read 274,274 times

Advertisements

What I have is the regular power lines that are on 20 – 30 ft poles running across about 100 feet of my property line and up to 25 feet inside. I put the first home here 15 years ago and have been looking into this ever since but cannot find any info on how deep into your property power lines can run, the power lines were here first. I have however been told that water, sewer and gas is no more than 10 feet. But I have power lines that run over most of my front yard (and yes it’s a Texas front yard 150 by 150 feet) and have never liked the way it looks.

How far can they pass over your property, and can I have them moved?

thanks

Last edited by parkk; 10-26-2008 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM

483 posts, read 1,102,722 times
All I can tell you is in 1988 we were putting in an above ground pool and had to be 10 feet inside of the power line. I looked on our property sketch and did some measuring and figured one pole was several feet inside our yard. I called the city and the guy told me the pole was NOT in our yard and even if it was it would take 3 or 4 months before it could be moved. The pool was being installed in a week! I called the city again and got hold of another guy that was very helpful. This person said he would send someone out the next day to see if the pole was in our yard. The pole was indeed about 6 to 7 feet in our yard and the very next day they moved the pole! Not 3 to 4 months! Again this was a long time ago, 1988.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM

I had a similar thing happen with my situation about 10 years ago. At my request a guy from PEC came out and looked at the lines (by the way the poles are not on my property, the lines run over it) and he had that "how am I going to get out of this mess look on his face" and said the lines are within the utility easement and pretty much got in his truck and drove off and that was that.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,875,365 times
There is no blanket rule about how far they can encroach into your yard. There could be an easement that crosses right through the middle of your tract. You could start by having a title company pull the easements that were granted to the power company to see whether they describe where the lines are permitted. But if the lines have been there for 15 years, the power company probably has obtained the right to keep them there, even if they are outside of the recorded easement area.

From a practical standpoint, assuming it is technically feasible, you could probably get the power company to move them closer to the edge of your property if you are willing to pay for the relocation. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 15,369 times
a property owner told me he will be forced to allow the power company to tap into a transformer on a pole in front of his home..the contractor [who is building a new home] say the pole is less than 50 feet from a right of way and said property owner cannot fight it -please not-this property is off the main highway and at end of a dirt road???

Old 05-08-2010, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 13,761 times
I have a high power transmission line that crosses my property 20 acres, from corner to corner and the easement is 75ft wide. I have 200 year old 4ft wide oak trees that are outside the 75ft easement , but have limbs that could hit the lines in a Hurricane, do thay have the right to cut the trees down or should they just trim them. I know thay can cut trees down that are within the 75ft each way from center to center

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 11,837 times
I have a small japanesse maple that was barely touching power lines above it. the lines ran from a pole outside my property line. the line runs over my property to my house. Did the electric company have a right to clip the tops of that tree when it was not bothering anything.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM

14,403 posts, read 20,713,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouch View Post
I have a small japanesse maple that was barely touching power lines above it. the lines ran from a pole outside my property line. the line runs over my property to my house. Did the electric company have a right to clip the tops of that tree when it was not bothering anything.
This question would have been better asked in a separate thread. But since it wasn't...

That is a shame, those are really pretty trees.

They probably were entitled to trim branches if they were within the distance designated by code. Austin Energy Tree Pruning website Tree Pruning

The electrical service belongs to Austin Energy all of the way to the meter and they have a code obligation to keep it safe.

Here is the Tree Pruning FAQ http://www.austinenergy.com/Customer...runingFAQs.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin