U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,567,060 times
Default traffic circles/roundabounds

where are the traffic circles in austin? last time i went to austin i went into one and nearly panicked! are they avoidable at all when driving realistically?

if i move, i will keep quiet that i am from los angeles. each time i went to austin, locals (who seem to have been transplants themselves hmmm) seem to give me attitude abut possibly moving. hell i will be almost 26 when i move and just want to rent a 1bedroom apartment and hopefully get a school counselor job! most californians leave california because we just cannot afford it! years ago my family looked into moving to orgeon and washington where we could actually afford a house (but it didnt happen). developers make your condos. pretty dumb to assume that just because someone from california is moving in that they will have a hummer and personally tear down a place to create condos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 PM

16,166 posts, read 21,801,705 times
I'm trying to think of where there's a true traffic circle in Austin. (Like the ones that I've been caught in near Boston, for example.)

There's a traffic circle in Waco. There's a couple of little circles in Hyde Park that are meant to slow traffic, but they're nothing to get scared of.

Where did you run into this thing? I've somehow missed it.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM

601 posts, read 1,843,025 times
Theres one in La Fontera. Today some chick was going the wrong way in one and almost clobbered me

Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,567,060 times
hey guys. it was by riverside and south 1st street. in that area.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM

6,813 posts, read 10,361,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
hey guys. it was by riverside and south 1st street. in that area.
Right by the Long Center and Auditorium shores/the running trail? That small one is relatively new, but easily avoided. I've never seen it have much traffic though, so I wonder why it might have been difficult to navigate? Since Riverside ends on Lamar, most people on that section are just going to the park, Palmer Events Center, or Long Center... for through traffic, you'd get on Barton Springs or cross the river and take Cesar Chavez. Typical driving in Austin would be 99.9% traffic circle free.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 AM

8,624 posts, read 17,391,848 times
There is one in the parking lot of CostCo in South Austin. Obviously, that one is easily avoided .

Old 10-27-2008, 06:10 AM

309 posts, read 659,612 times
Roundabouts are the best invention known to driving man. Once you get used to them they are fantastic. Of course I had to take lessons to get my license when I moved from CA to the UK, but there is a reason that the rest of the world uses roundabouts. They make stop signs obsolete. They make life so easy when you need to make a U turn. They are very logical.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 AM

8,624 posts, read 17,391,848 times
Quote:
Once you get used to them
Yeah, that is the problem though...with only a handful of them in the city (probably in the state!), no one is ever going to get used to them... .

Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 AM

4,562 posts, read 6,528,376 times
I drive through the one on Riverside in front of the Long Center all the time. I have gotten used to it and most people seem pretty practiced now but you can always tell a newbie! Gracious Texans usually handle the first-timer well. The easy way to avoid it, as previously mentioned, is to take Barton Springs instead. The Bouldin neighborhood has several roundabouts as traffic calming devices but generally there is not another car going through at the same time.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM

16,166 posts, read 21,801,705 times
Ah, that explains it. I've always taken Barton Springs by preference, even before the Long Center took over. I don't, however, remember there being a traffic circle in that area before.

The ones in Hyde Park are a relatively new innovation, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin