Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
We went that route, and handed out glow-bracelets instead of candy. I would rather the kids have a reason to be active. Not trying to be a grinch, but these kids are receiving their yearly quota of sugar after only 15 minutes of trick-or-treating. There are also the lower income folks who struggle with poor diet choices, and I feel the urge to step in as a surrogate parent when I can by giving them alternative choices.
A couple of houses did that for the kids this year and they were a big hit with the kids.

We have about 50 kids according to my wife. Every year it gets better as my neighborhood gets built out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,651,673 times
We had some older kids start showing up at 535pm Kid you not. How in the world do you start that early and not be a toddler? The kids where teenage.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
We ended up having quite a lot of them last night and just barely had enough candy. Me and my next door neighbor sat outside and he had his grill out too. It smelled so good I think it helped draw people down to our end of the street

Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
I also just moved here from Cleveland Ohio, and i was curious on what time trick or treating started. I live in Manor Texas, in a community called Shadowglen, if anyone knows please let me know.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:11 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,761 times
It was dark at 7 pm last night so we'll start at 6:45 pm since it's a school night. Hoping to be done by 8 pm.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
It was 5:30 last year, but daylight savings time is this coming weekend, so it will probably be around 6 or 6:30 p.m. this year.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:14 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
OH.....MY.......GOD.......

Thank you SO much for using the search function before starting a whole new thread.

Parents need time to get home and prepare their kids, most of them eat dinner before they head out too. I usually see the first trick or treaters trickle in around 6.30 or so, and the parents usually round everyone up and try to get them home before dark. I am surprised if I get anyone after 8 (and then it's usually older teenagers)

Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
This will be my second year in a kid-heavy 'hood, after over a decade in a rural non-trick-or-treat neighborhood. I'm looking forward to it again.

Last year a weird, maniacal dark side came out of me when I was passing out candy though. It was triggered early when one snot-nose brat expressed disapproval over his candy helping, asking if I had anything "better" than the "smarties" I dropped in his bag.

"Sure, let me have that one back", I said. Then, as he handed it back, I said "now get off my porch, punk" while I dropped a huge handful of chocolates into his little sister's bag and told her she was much more polite than her brother and deserved more candy.

If there's anything I can't stand it's an entitlement mentality, especially in kids. This year, my daughter has informed me that it's "cheap" to drop just one piece. So I'll probably meter the candy out based on creativity, enthusiasm, halloween spirit, and my random mood at the moment. There will be winners, there will be losers.

Steve

Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Children are children, they are all welcome in my neighborhood. And we are giving away full size Nestle's chocolate bars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Last year a weird, maniacal dark side came out of me when I was passing out candy though. It was triggered early when one snot-nose brat expressed disapproval over his candy helping, asking if I had anything "better" than the "smarties" I dropped in his bag.
I admit I experienced a similar feeling on occasion, when we had run out of the chocolate bars and had to supplement a back up treat.

I'm worried this year, we have no back up treat. My wife says just turn off the lights if we run out of our 2 boxes of Hershey bars (72 total). I swear we have gone through 3 boxes in the past. I guess parents aren't getting any this year unless the T&T's start arriving later then usual.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-31-2011 at 05:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Here is a new question: Should one turn away teenagers who show up without a costume asking for Tricker-Treats?

They are more likely to vandalize if turned away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin