U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM

98 posts, read 138,796 times
Default Info on Retail Jobs in Austin

Hi, How are jobs in Retail Management? With so many retailers closing there doors, or pulling out of markets all over the country, I am curious as to how Austin is doing.

I will be looking for a Retail Manager job once I relocate there in a few months...Gotta sell my house in Charlotte first! LOL

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM

12 posts, read 18,095 times
Hello Tia, Retail jobs in Austin are stable. In fact, we are experiencing new retail centers in and around Austin. Is there any particular area you are looking to move to? Also, any particular area of retail mgmt?

Karen

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM

Karen,

TIA, is thanks in advance...the name is Randy...lol

I have managed footwear and apparel stores up to $1,000,000. nothing huge..
And specialty retail, jewelry, up to $1.4 mil..again, not gigantic stores..
Possibly southwest Austin, or Dripping Springs area..

I also have my Real Estate Lic on inactive status, got it then we moved to NC...I kept it current for the past couple of years. I knew one day we would move back..So I will probably find a broker to hook up with, just wanted to do something until the market picks back up...
I will have a lot to learn on the real estate side, I already have 10 years in retail...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,705,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAH View Post
Possibly southwest Austin, or Dripping Springs area..
There is lots of new retail construction going on in Dripping Springs. Home Depot just opened up, there is a Walgreen's under construction, rumors of an HEB moving in, and a couple of new small strip malls being built just east of FM 12. They look to be set up for smaller stores.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey, thanks for the info, I did notice a bit of construction out that way while we were there house hunting.
I figured there would be some retail in the mix, as that area is growing pretty fast..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 18,095 times
Hi Randy, Too funny (TIA) Thanks for the correction on that. Now I know. You lived in Austin before moving to NC? In your email you mentioned Southwest Austin or Dripping Springs - Is that where you are thinking of moving? My sister lives in Dripping and there is not much to speak of there retail related. In fact, they don't even have a decent grocery store there yet. Homes are pricey for what you get in DS. Our old airport now houses a large childrens hospital (Dell Childrens Hospital) and the retail boom is big time over in that area if you wanted to be closer in to Austin. Pflugerville has tremendous retail growth going on right now. Round Rock has an area of retail growth as well - An outlet mall opened up about a year ago just off IH35 in Round Rock. Hurry and get to Austin before everyone else beats you here!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen staha View Post
Hi Randy, Too funny (TIA) Thanks for the correction on that. Now I know. You lived in Austin before moving to NC? In your email you mentioned Southwest Austin or Dripping Springs - Is that where you are thinking of moving? My sister lives in Dripping and there is not much to speak of there retail related. In fact, they don't even have a decent grocery store there yet. Homes are pricey for what you get in DS. Our old airport now houses a large childrens hospital (Dell Childrens Hospital) and the retail boom is big time over in that area if you wanted to be closer in to Austin. Pflugerville has tremendous retail growth going on right now. Round Rock has an area of retail growth as well - An outlet mall opened up about a year ago just off IH35 in Round Rock. Hurry and get to Austin before everyone else beats you here!
We lived just North of Dallas before...

I know there is not much in DS right now, though it seems it is growing at a good pace. I don't mind driving a short distance for work...
We are also looking at homes in north Austin, so RR or Pville could be a good option for work..
I really wouldn't even mind something PT, as I will be getting back into Real Estate as well..should be a good time to do it before the market turns around..Seems a lot of agents are calling it quits, or doing something else..
My lic has been inactive for the past 2 years, so I will be looking for a broker that won't charge me an arm and a leg as well..

Again,
Thanks for the info...

Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 PM

74 posts, read 141,604 times
Yes we do have quite a bit of retail here. Plenty of new stores are active now and more to come. I would suggest visiting first and go from there. Finding out your job location will be your best bet before determining where exactly to move.

As for the broker, you just opened yourself up to get spammed by 5000 keller williams agents! oh boy .

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-17-2008 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg80 View Post
Yes we do have quite a bit of retail here. Plenty of new stores are active now and more to come. I would suggest visiting first and go from there. Finding out your job location will be your best bet before determining where exactly to move.

As for the broker, you just opened yourself up to get spammed by 5000 keller williams agents! oh boy .

HA! Not one yet! I was with Keller in Dallas before moving to Charlotte.. I think I am gonna go with a smaller broker, that don't nickle and dime you to death this time...LOL...
Though Keller is not a bad broker, just not one I would choose right out of the gate...especially since I won't be able to devote my full attention to real estate for the first half of the year..After that, it's ON!

Thanks for the feedback...

Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,932,633 times
This place in Cedar Park is filling up fast...

1890 Ranch Update (http://www.impactnews.com/leander-cedar-park/community-corridor/1464-1890-ranch-update - broken link)

although the Circuit City is closing its doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin