Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here work for the IRS in Austin? what is your overall feeling about it, outside of getting a paycheck, of course!

They are currently hiring seasonal employees, I was thinking of applying, we really need something full-time with benefits, so, I would like to know, if you are hired as seasonal do you have priority to bid on full-time jobs once you are with them? In other words, could I consider it as a foot in the door?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,251,769 times
bump

Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Does anyone here work for the IRS in Austin? what is your overall feeling about it, outside of getting a paycheck, of course!

They are currently hiring seasonal employees, I was thinking of applying, we really need something full-time with benefits, so, I would like to know, if you are hired as seasonal do you have priority to bid on full-time jobs once you are with them? In other words, could I consider it as a foot in the door?

Thanks!
I worked there seasonal last year(might do it again if nothing better comes along). Other than a paycheck, I would say the best thing about working there is the casual atmosphere(and for me location). A lot depends on the work you do. Some of it is probably ok but a lot of it is pretty repetitive and dreary...think postal-type work.

You won't get benefits as a seasonal worker, you'll need to be there longer than that to qualify. As for getting your foot in the door, I suppose it might help a little but generally they open up the process externally so you'll still apply through usajobs.gov

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 120,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
As for getting your foot in the door, I suppose it might help a little but generally they open up the process externally so you'll still apply through usajobs.gov
This is my second season at the IRS and I love it! The environment is generally a supportive and friendly one, although sometimes a little disorganized, and there is a real emphasis on quality service to the taxpayers.

That's not quite right about opening up the process for permanent jobs externally -- a lot of permanent jobs are posted internally (on the "COL" - Career Opportunities Listing) and current employees do have some preference. Ranking depends in part on their annual evaluation.

Last edited by jmitchell; 02-07-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 53,143 times
I think it really depends which dept. you work in when it comes to overall environment. In general, I'd say it's pretty laid back and most people are very friendly. Some jobs, on the other hand, are definitely more interesting than others

There are generally more listings on COL than usajobs, which shows a preference for current employess in those positions, but more limitations are also imposed on what you can apply for on COL too. What it boils down to is, if you're looking for a perm job at the same grade you are currently at, COL is clearly a better source, but if you're looking for a higher pay grade job, things are a little a different.

Seasonal employees DO get benefits, but more than likely it will take a full year before you can enroll. You need to pass the time period first, which might run into the second season if your first is too short. Then eligibility needs to be requested (ask your supervisor/manager to send the form to ERC to let them know you are eligible). I think the only requisite for the eligibility form is that your seasonal job is at least a 6 month TOD (tour of duty), which most seem to be.

Once you've met the time requirements and the eligibility form is sent and processed, there are still two critera that have to be met to enroll: 1) you can only enroll during an "event" and 2) you can only enroll when you are in pay status (working). If your TOD runs that late, there is an open season period (is the event) in Nov-Dec that you can enroll during. If you aren't working that late in the year, it will have to be done on RTD (return to duty) the following season. Change back to in-pay status is the event and of course, you'll be working After that, expect it to take another 3-4 weeks or so before health insurance actually kicks in.

It sounds like a pain, but most of it is just time issues that come with seasonal employment. If you plan on working more than one season, everything can probably be done as soon as you come back the second season and then it's gravy. Health insurance, life insurance, retirement, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
There is an older thread about this - it might give you some more information:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...er-austin.html

Old 04-01-2009, 08:32 AM

38 posts, read 194,222 times
They are hiring now alot of customer reps in collections two new classes from what I hear Most will be 12-830 pm which includes night diff.Alot of the current 12-830s will go to the day hours. Training is brutal !As far as current employees going thru USA Jobs then it is considered outside hire..you may be able to keep your rating but you would need a yr probation again. Once you sweat out that year its not something you want to do again.Revenue agents are needed You have to have an accounting degree for that.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,256 times
I've been scheduled for a finger-print session for a TE seasonal position and was wondering if anyone knows what the schedule is for a seasonal (what months and how many). Are they flexible if you need to pick/drop children off at school? What's the training like for this position? Any information will help.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 PM

24 posts, read 120,585 times
It depends what operation you are placed in, and how good your work is (if you do better, your release is later), but months would generally be starting Jan/Feb to sometime in June/July.

Available shifts for new hires are often swing shift, 4pm to 12:30 or 5pm to 1:30, something like that, so that would fit in well with picking up and dropping off children from school as long as you can get to sleep right away once you get home from work.

There are also some day shift positions.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,028 times
I went to a fingerprinting session yesterday. It was pretty painless, if boring. The only disheartening part of the experience was when the IRS employees handed out their document checklist sheet. It had the following words on it:

governement
Questionarre
Decleration
Identflication

As I was leaving I casually (and not in any haughty way!) said, "You know, that form you gave us to ensure we had all of our documents was riddled with misspellings. It might bode well for you all to fix some of those."

The response:

"Oh, it doesn't matter, we made it for us."

Ummm . . . what about putting your best foot forward and not allowing yourselves to come off as paying no attention to detail? On top of that we were told that many of the documents we were asked to bring contained outdated instructions. Unbelievable really. I'm only interested in temporary work, but I'm not sure what my chances are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin