U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM

23 posts, read 67,092 times
Default Bastrop

I am hoping to get some information on Bastrop. I am looking to buy a lot for a future house, and a couple came up there. I don't know a whole lot about the area (schools, jobs, is it a family-friendly area, is it a desireable area, etc) so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light.
Any info would be greatly apreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,678,894 times
Basically in the Austin Metro area, west of I-35 is desirable and east of I-35 is not. If you're looking to buy a lot I'd look at western Travis or northern Hays County first.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns View Post
I am hoping to get some information on Bastrop. I am looking to buy a lot for a future house, and a couple came up there. I don't know a whole lot about the area (schools, jobs, is it a family-friendly area, is it a desireable area, etc) so I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light.
Any info would be greatly apreciated

Thanks
i left bastrop about 10 yrs ago. i lived there for 2 yrs and absolutely loved it. golf every weekend, lived in the woods with our dogs, partied alot. there are some really cool cabins out there at the park, cant remember the name of the park. if you are looking for a safe community for your family, that would be the bastrop i know. good luck.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM

243 posts, read 484,104 times
I'm just curious as to what makes the cities east of Austin "bad"?

We spent the better part of day in Bastrop and looked at some houses there back in December. Seemed like a nice community. The pines east of town are nice too. It reminded my wife and I of "up north" here in MN but a lot warmer! The park with the cabins is Bastrop state park. We spent several hours hiking there among the pines. Very nice park.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 PM

8,700 posts, read 17,680,078 times
Bastrop is not east Austin, it is East of Austin, which makes a big difference. Bastrop has many very good things going for it, but the one that I often hear negative is the school district. I don't know a whole lot about it that is recent, so I would look into the schools if that is important to you.

There is a bit of a commute (although not huge) and there will be a new toll road which does not appear to have any options to get around of....so you will have to pay.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 AM

23 posts, read 67,092 times
Thanks for all the info--every bit helps

Old 05-18-2007, 02:20 PM

3,090 posts, read 5,627,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB817 View Post
I'm just curious as to what makes the cities east of Austin "bad"?

We spent the better part of day in Bastrop and looked at some houses there back in December. Seemed like a nice community. The pines east of town are nice too. It reminded my wife and I of "up north" here in MN but a lot warmer! The park with the cabins is Bastrop state park. We spent several hours hiking there among the pines. Very nice park.
That is the common misunderstanding. It is not the cities east of austin or even the rural areas east of austin, it the neighborhoods on the east side of Austin that are much less desireable. It is so ingrained that people have generalized it to saying east of IH35 is bad. If you think about it that include all of east texas, Dallas, Houston, the gulf coast....Well Houston may be the exception , but the rest of that isnt all bad.

As long as you understand that the "bad" area between IH35 and Hwy 183 is what the reputation is based on, you should be fine. East of 183 is mostly rural and low to mid level pocket subdivisions. Not too much development, yet. It is starting to boom and there are a number of big projects going up in Manor, Bastrop and near Elgin that are marketing houses in excess of $200K. There are individual properties and some pocket neighborhood over that.

Bastrop, Elgin, and even Manor are growing communities (Bastrop growing most at the moment) and Austin is expanding toward them as well. The region is changing and development will continue so who knows what the outcome will be for the property values. They may develop into something nice, or they make become a hugh mass of deterorating subdivisons in 15 years. Place your bet, take your chances.

I am betting on increased values, myself. I bought a place between Austin and Bastrop on FM 969 several years back and my Mother owns some lots in Bastrop. She unfortunately bought way back in the late 70's when property values were very high before the big real estate bust in early 80's. They have not recovered to her purchase price yet. Mine was appraised 60K above purchase price last year, but I have no intention of moving anytime soon.

Just be aware that perceptions, right or wrong, affect buyer pools and potential resale values. And also, the only thing they can't make more of is Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin