U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM

492 posts, read 1,429,318 times
Default Apartments in NW Hills, Allandale, ??

Hi:

It's official: I'll be moving back to Austin (after nearly 30 years) by the end of March to be near my 80-something parents. I'll be renting while I figure out where, and what, to buy, connect with a realtor, etc. (My house here in NC sold quickly -- hooray!)

My office will be near the 620/2222 junction. Much of my non-work time will be spent in Tarrytown, Rosedale, etc. with family. And around campus, and on the Hike and Bike trail.

I figure that an apartment or townhouse or duplex in NW Hills or Allandale would be a good location compromise (counter-commute out to work, and at off-peak hours). Other neighborhoods might work, too --ideas?

I'm looking for a 2/1 or 1/1, under $1200/month, that is quiet, safe and well maintained. No large student complexes, please (I see that the shuttle bus now runs to Far West, and many of the apartments around Murchison are pretty much student housing.) Something that would appeal to a quiet, 50-something person with a large dog.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 PM

74 posts, read 137,917 times
Hey man congrats on your move back to Austin

Sounds like your right on with the area you want to live. Also consider Balconies and near Far West BLVD. Anything around Chee Z as well would be good.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Chee Z?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 21,004,103 times
Chez Z is a restaurant near Northland/Mopac/2222. Nice neighborhood - there are condos, duplexes and townhomes available to lease in that area as well as off of Far West and in the Greystone area that are well in your price range.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 PM

74 posts, read 137,917 times
Chez-Zee American Bistro Austin Texas 78731 (512) 454-2666

Yea, its in the area that seems perfect for you.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Hmm. Never heard of real estate being referenced relative to a restaurant, unless it was an institution with 30+ years in the same location, like La Fonda San Miguel...

But then, 30 years ago the Chez Zee location was described as the "Parkview Rylander's" area...and the original Melba's Boutique clothing store was there, too.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 PM

15,946 posts, read 21,004,103 times
Chez Zee has been there quite a while. Not 30 years (I lived in that neighborhood then and IIRC it was a swimming pool store where we bought Christmas ornaments in season), but it opened in 1989,so almost 20.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:23 PM

6,777 posts, read 10,021,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
Hi:

I'm looking for a 2/1 or 1/1, under $1200/month, that is quiet, safe and well maintained. No large student complexes, please (I see that the shuttle bus now runs to Far West, and many of the apartments around Murchison are pretty much student housing.) Something that would appeal to a quiet, 50-something person with a large dog.

Thanks!
One thing that might have changed, is that those apartments (and especially the condos/duplexes) are not so overwhelmingly students anymore. With all the new units in west campus (they changed zoning rules so many more high rise complexes are there now), the area around Murchison has changed a bit. More young professionals wanting a close-in location, and just a variety of ages. When I last lived there, both my adjacent neighbors (in duplexes) were exactly how you describe yourself.

Another option, if you are looking at duplexes, is Cat Mountain. There is one street there, called Smokey Valley, which is all duplexes. They've been a bit higher than $1200 in the past, but you might be able to find a deal now.

Finally, Westover Hills has some duplexes which are very close to 360, or off Mesa Dr. That's also a nice location.

All those neighborhoods would be perfect for you, if you are a dog person -- the Bull Creek Greenbelt and Lakewood park (the dog park) are fantastic and very close.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Chez Zee has been there quite a while. Not 30 years (I lived in that neighborhood then and IIRC it was a swimming pool store where we bought Christmas ornaments in season), but it opened in 1989,so almost 20.
Yep, it was a swimming pool store! Jack Brown cleaners was on the corner. And Lamar Savings was across the street...no wait, that was in the 1960s...

But yeah, a restaurant that has stayed in business nearly 20 years in the same location is definitely a "landmark." I'll have to look for it when I'm down there in December!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin