Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 11:25 AM

9 posts, read 21,147 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone .. been reading and reading all the good things about Austin on this site.. so I finally took a trip out there in november.. just got back and im already packed and ready to leave NJ in December.. I had a great time out there and the people were more than nice to me.. I met a lot of great people when I was there. I felt very welcome… and the only complaint like so many was just the heat during the summer… now heres my situation.

I currently own a mobile detailing business here in NJ here is the site>> Home
Currently my biz is shut down because of this damn cold weather.. im tired of it.

I just wanted to get some opinions from you Austin locals.. I plan on reopening my biz there in Austin because of the better weather.. I know its gonna be damn hot working outdoors.. but wouldn’t it be easier for you to hire me then to go outside in that heat and clean your car yourself???? Would you Austin locals use my services? I am completely mobile so you would not have to leave your house.. I would work on your car right in your driveway!!!

Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in… or if you have a person already that does this.. let me know your likes and dislikes about them?

When I was there I noticed that there are a lot of self serve car washes.. which I think defeats the purpose.. if its that hot out then your still washing your own car.

thanks for any info you can share with me... im excited about starting my new life in austin,.. just dreading that drive from NJ lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Lots of HOA frown on car-washing in the driveway. That might be an obstacle. Plus you might run into water restrictions from the city and other municipalities during certain times of the year.

I prefer the drive-through car washes that recapture and recycle the water.

I'd focus on high-end auto detailing and interior detail.

good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 PM

786 posts, read 2,760,928 times
Your business concept sounds interesting, but would probably make more sense if you were able to set up arrangements with various large companies to offer your services on their site. At my old company in Toronto we have an on site detailer that was given space in the underground parking. He was always loaded with work. If you were able to set up something similar here, then you could do the detailing while people work, instead of at their homes. It could also mean you are working in a covered space instead of out in the sun.

I would probably be interested in the service because I never can find the time to get to it myself. However, your starting rate of $60 per car is a little high unless you are doing the toothbrush treatment and including a wax and polish in that.

One thing to look into in the quality of the water down here. I live out in the hill country around Dripping Springs (SSW of Austin) and was warned by people not to use the water to wash the car. It is very hard water and will behind calcium residue. Even with a water softener.

You may also want to check into whether there are any water restrictions against washing your car (wasting water) during drought conditions.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM

9 posts, read 21,147 times
In regards to the water restrictions.. I guess I should have mentioned that I have a new NO rinse car wash system that only requires 2 gallons of water to wash a car… no need to turn on the hose since I will bring the water with me.
My NO rinse system works great and leaves hardly any water run off which is a cleaner process to prepare the car for polish and wax and also is better for the environment.

As far as working on customers cars while their at work.. I do that now here in NJ so that would also be an option.. I can do it at your home or at work.. because again I bring the two gallons of water with me and can do the car right on location.. I would need access to an electrical outlet for my equipment but that’s all I would need from my customers.. I provide the rest.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
That actually sounds like it might do pretty well. I've seen similar operations in Houston, but none in Austin that I know of (although, I haven't really looked). Some of the Houston ones set up shop in parking garages of busy buildings.

The fact you are bringing your own water would go over very well here, especially during water restrictions. Some HOAs may frown on owner self-washing, but they might not be so harsh on a high-end detailing service that doesn't present an eyesore (eg soapy water running down the street). Otherwise, you might still be able to get those customers at work.

If you do come down here, I'd invest in a portable awning or half-tent for shade during the summer months. Good luck to you.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
I know that there are at least a couple of companies that do on-work-site maintenance on cars (oil change/tire change) on a regular schedule at some of the larger employers. I am not sure if any of them do washing, but if not, I am sure that would be a popular idea. My worry would be that one of the established operators would just move into that 'market', though, and kind of keep the squatters rights .

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

786 posts, read 2,760,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donavin629 View Post
I have a new NO rinse car wash system that only requires 2 gallons of water to wash a car… no need to turn on the hose since I will bring the water with me.
A no rinse system. Now THAT I would be interested in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin