U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM

8,241 posts, read 10,563,503 times

Advertisements

We'd like to try driving to NM for some skiing. Any suggestions or recommendations about where to go? DH and I are pretty good, kids have never skied. Looking for a non glitzy, family, walkable place.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM

8,762 posts, read 18,186,877 times
If you are really looking for non-glitzy, I would recommend checking out Sipapu (Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort).

I learned to ski there decades ago, and went back many times and loved it; however, when we last went there, there were still not TVs, no phones in the room, one 'restaurant' that was open limited hours, and no hot tub . We stayed in little cabins (and I mean little) or, when we had a group, we stayed in the mobile homes (one is a double wide ). Each place had a kitchen, though, and every accomadation was withing walking distance of the lift. It is a small vertical drop (~1000 feet), but there is (was?) no crowd most of the time we were there - in fact, I don't recall ever having to wait in a line at the lift. The trails were sort of narrow (again, compared to Breck or Vail or something), but if you are good, no big deal, and if you have never skiied, you don't know any better... There are only about 20 runs, too, and one main lift and a pommel lift for the beginner slope.

We went because it was inexpensvie and an 'easy' drive from Austin, but the snow tends to be very good. We drove to Angel Fire several times from Sipapu and the snow was ALWAYS better at Sipapu than AF. Taos was nearby but much more expensive and a bit on the high-brow side for intermediate skiiers.

As for other places, Ski Apache (or Riudosu sp?) is supposedly very good, with surprisingly good snow for so far south, but I have never been there. M sister really like Red River in northern NM, but again, I have never been there.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM

6,875 posts, read 10,863,931 times
Closest would be Ruidoso, NM (Ski Apache in Ruidoso, New Mexico the best Ruidoso and New Mexico Skiing and Snowboarding). I've driven there a few times, and it's about 10-12 hours total. Fun little town, good ski area when there is snow (usually late in the season, Jan-Feb, is the best snow there)... the drive up to the ski mountain is twisty and steep, and sometimes requires chains, which you can buy in town. The lifts are a little old, and sometimes the service isn't that great at the resort, but overall it's very good. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, the Upper Canyon Inn Upper Canyon Inn and Cabins is nice.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,356,063 times
I've done Ruidosa & it was OK....but hated the 45 min. drive everyday (but it's the closest resort to Texas).

Sipapu is cute, but a day trip at best. (as is Red River imo)

Santa Fe is good....also requires a daily drive (but less than Ruidosa) & has a world class city to enjoy (offseason).

Taos is amazing skiing & a cool town but is VERY advanced (not for beginner kids imo).

My favorite that is "drivable" is Ski Durango (formerly known as Purgatory). Great Mountain, Great town, Not glitzy, but very much a destination. (about 4 hours drive NW from Alb.) I love visiting Durango in 3 different seasons (winter/spring for skiing, the summer & the fall).....& have.

Durango Mountain Resort - Skiing, lodging and vacation deals in the beautiful Colorado Rockies

Colorado Mountain Vacations :: Durango Area Tourism Office and Vacation Planning Guide

Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 PM

1,565 posts, read 3,004,220 times
Oh but drive the extra hours to VAIL it is soooo nice.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:22 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,563,503 times
Thanks for the amazing ideas and opinions...keep 'em coming!
How much longer to Vail, by the way? Although maybe too glitzy??

Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 PM

75,324 posts, read 36,472,776 times
I'll suggest Red River..nice little town.

Red River, New Mexico

Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 18,186,877 times
Vail is in Summit County CO, near Breckenridge. Parts of Vail are amazing, but you can get the Summit pass, which can vary, but it is basically 3-5 days at the 'typical' resorts up there, but you can trade out a day for a day at Vail, and/or another day for Copper mountain, maybe? Check online. You get to ski several places instead of just one. Breck is ~16 hours (or longer, depends on age of kids ), but I have found that it is a great balance of snow, price, although a bit more crowded than many other places; however, there is a huge amount of mountain to spread the people over.

If you do drive to Summit County, I highly recommend the southern approach through Hoosier Pass, it cuts off at least an hour over going through Denver (as long as the weather is decent).

Old 11-25-2008, 09:41 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,413,976 times
Copper Mountain is the best place to take kids. Great, easy bunny hills and greens. I also like Breckinridge.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 3,004,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Copper Mountain is the best place to take kids. Great, easy bunny hills and greens. I also like Breckinridge.
And Copper is only a few minutes from Vail and Beaver Creek

I need to go clean my helmet, boots and get some new skis!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin